London in October followed by southerly transatlantic

I have plenty of time to plan but I am having a hard time imagining what to pack for our fab vacation. We will go to London for a week in mid-October, take the train to Barcelona, stay a few days there and then cruise Celebrity to Fort Lauderdale. The London part I am fine with but then the climate change and need for formal wear has me baffled. My husband and I have always dressed for dinner on any cruise we've done, but somehow I can't picture how we can fit the variety of clothing in two suitcases to include two climates, casual and formal wear. Has anyone successfully packed for a trip like ours?

Barb

We will be going from cool, possibly rainy late October weather in London and need to pack for urban sightseeing there to warmer weather in Barcelona and on the cruise. It's the change in climate but also the change in activity that we will need to pack for. I know that the cruise has three formal nights. I don't want to travel overpacked on this vacation but I also don't want to be lacking appropriate clothing.

Thanks,

Barb

Find clothes you can layer for cold weather. Also, I have an all weather jacket with a zip out fleece lining.

For formal nights have a long skirt or dress pants. Take a couple of dressy tops, jacket/evening sweater/stole and some jewelry to change up your look. One pair of dressy shoes.

Lots of mix and match - tops and bottoms have to match up with at least three others.

I did a World Voyage last year and temperatures ranged from 32-100. Although I took a lot more for 118 days, these strategies worked for me.

In October 2012 we spent 4 days in Paris before cruising out of Barcelona. The temperature onboard the ship is controlled and was no different than the temps onboard a ship cruising the Caribbean.

For onboard the ship, I packed things that could be mixed and matched (dress pants, skirts and a bunch of blouses including some that were sleeveless along with a cardigan). I also packed two dresses. One was a black cocktail dress and the other was a lightweight knit dress (with the right accessories, it can be dressed up which worked for a formal night.

For Barcelona, I wore capri pants and linen pants. I also wore short sleeved shirts during the day and used the cardigan at night.

When we boarded the ship we had laundry done (Celebrity was offering a special of $20 per bag) and had a lot of our clothes that were worn in Paris & Barcelona washed. We then wore many of these items again during port days.

For shoes, I packed two pairs of walking shoes (Clarks) , 1 pair of dress shoes and one pair of flats (ballet style).

Deciding what to pack can be overwhelming. I used a spreadsheet to keep track of it all and tried to pack only items I could wear multiple times.

In October 2012 we spent 4 days in Paris before cruising out of Barcelona. The temperature onboard the ship is controlled and was no different than the temps onboard a ship cruising the Caribbean.

For onboard the ship, I packed things that could be mixed and matched (dress pants, skirts and a bunch of blouses including some that were sleeveless along with a cardigan). I also packed two dresses. One was a black cocktail dress and the other was a lightweight knit dress (with the right accessories, it can be dressed up which worked for a formal night.

For Barcelona, I wore capri pants and linen pants. I also wore short sleeved shirts during the day and used the cardigan at night.

When we boarded the ship we had laundry done (Celebrity was offering a special of $20 per bag) and had a lot of our clothes that were worn in Paris & Barcelona washed. We then wore many of these items again during port days.

For shoes, I packed two pairs of walking shoes (Clarks) , 1 pair of dress shoes and one pair of flats (ballet style).

Deciding what to pack can be overwhelming. I used a spreadsheet to keep track of it all and tried to pack only items I could wear multiple times.

Good planning. That is just about how I would pack.

OP...... you have a great trip to look forward to. Enjoy. :)

We are flying to London in December, spending a few days, doing the transatlantic on the QM2 and then doing the 12 day Caribbean fiesta, also on the Queen Mary. We will disembark in New York, which is our home port. I am considering shipping the luggage, avoiding the hassle and just taking one bag each for London. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks everyone- now I know it can be done. I think my husband's wardrobe is a bit more challenging than mine because he wants to bring formal wear and my original thought was a dark suit that he could wear on the plane and then to dinner in London and Barcelona and finally on the ship. Our daughter pointed out that he will not be happy without his tux on the ship so possibly the dark suit can be left home and a sports coat with two pair of slacks replacing it. I'm sure we can work it out. My things don't take up as much space as his various jackets and shoes.

Barb