If you have had an upsell call

carnivaljunkie

I am curious about which type of bookings get upsell calls. If you book through a TA do they call? If you book on line do they call? If you book by phone do they call? If you book through a PVP do they call?

I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and have never received an upsell call. If you have received one, how did you book?

We always book online and received an upsell call two out of four cruises. I think it really depends more on the particualr sailing and how full it is and of course luck! :) Would love to get the call for my upcoming cruise but I am not holding my breath. :p

Our upcoming cruise on the Fascination this month will be my 25th with Carnival...dh's 23rd...have never received an upsale call...did get an email offering a balcony cabin from an OV for 200.00 pp...that was on the Glory sailing out of Boston a few years ago...they had trouble filling up those cruises...we ended up with several price drops....We are almost two weeks out and docs are still showing cabin to be assigned:eek:

We always book through PVP. We only received on upsell call in all of our cruises which is the one we are on right now. We turned it down though. We were in a suite and were offered like an owner's suite, but it was like $500 extra per person and we really didn't see the point.

I have booked with my PVP and on line and received 2 upsell calls. Both times, I was in the highest category (highest balcony category and highest inside category). I had one from balcony on lido and offered an oceanview suite for $200 (5 day cruise) and another time was inside to an oceanview for $150 (turned that one down since it was only a 3 day cruise)

We have sailed 3 times and each time gotten the upsell call. First time we didn't book the cruise, it was booked by DH's mom as our honeymoon. We had an obstructed balcony on Pride and got a call for a suite (I believe it was a smaller suite). Second time I booked us online on the Breeze in an aft extended balcony, got an upsell call for another suite, a grand suite I believe (it was the big one). Last time was a cruise I booked online on Liberty in an aft extended balcony, and the upsell was for a junior suite (in the caller's words, our smallest suite). We have turned them all down, but I do appreciate the calls! Now if they called about an aft wrap I think I would have a hard time turning that down....

I have gotten the upsell e-mail as opposed to the call the last several times. Cruise before last we booked a balcony guarantee directly through Carnival, got a great assignment, but they e-mailed three days before embarkation with a good offer on a grand suite. We took it.

Edited by tncap

This is our 6th cruise with Carnival in the past 3 years. We usually book online ourselves. This time we booked through a Carnival PVP. We were booked in 2 rooms, an interior and an ocean view. For the first time ever, we were letting Carnival assign our rooms to save money...which I hated!!!

We didn't get a call - it was an email offer. The email was specific to one of our bookings - the interior. It offered to upgrade us to a balcony for $200. I wanted to do it, but that meant we'd be split up by a lot, since the balcony would be nowhere near the ocean view (and we didn't get an email on that one). So I called our PVP and told him about the email...asked him if he could let us move both rooms up to balconies. To our delight - he said YES. Got us into 2 balcony rooms, AND worked with us to ASSIGN the rooms. Yeaaaaah!!!! So now we are in 2 confirmed balconies on deck 10 of the Valor, and the upgrade costs were $200 for the interior room, and $110 for the ocean view.

I was very happy that I didn't ignore that email!!!

By the way, we sail on February 15th, and the email came right around 12/23.

I received an upsell call once. It was 4 of us in a inside cabin and the offer was for the owner's suite for $900. I turned it down but did ask how we got selected.

This agent claims it was because it was 4 in an inside cabin and they thought we may want the space. Who knows what the real criteria is.

We usually use a TA and never received an upsell but for our 1/19 cruise, I just booked online. Received the upsell email and call on the same day last week. From a guarantee inside they offered us a grand suite for $350. This is for 3 in a cabin so we figured that it's a decent deal because we would never book a grand suite on our own. This would be worth it for the experience even though Carnival's suit perk is so minimal.

With NCL we did get a great upsell through our TA. Their suite perks are amazing!

All of our cruises have been booked through our PVP and we've received the call three times. First time was an upsell on Miracle from two connecting balcony cabins to two adjoining (not connecting) ocean suites - $500 total for four people on an 8-day cruise. That was an easy choice. Second time we received an upsell offer to go from our aft wrap and next-door aft balcony to a grand suite on Conquest for an extra $500. We booked the cruise for that aft wrap, so we declined. Someone really must have wanted that aft wrap, though, because a few hours later they called again to offer us the grand suite, this time with the cruise fare on the aft balcony cabin as OBC. As much as we wanted the aft wrap, that offer was too good to turn down. Third time was an upsell offer from an ocean suite and inside on Fantasy to the owner's suite. If I had received the call I probably would have turned it down as too pricey - but DH got the call and really wanted that suite, so he took it. (When I got home from work that day he greeted me with "I hope you won't be mad at me....:rolleyes:) I do have to say it was a nice experience.:D

The one I received a call on I had booked on board and gave my PVP the booking number so she could have the commission. Booked a year in advance and were offered an upsell 6 weeks or so before sailing. We were in an 8E Lido Balcony and were offered an Ocean Suite for $600 total. We declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually just got a call from the upgrade fairy today and it took it! It was a pretty good price to upgrade from a balcony to a grand suite on the Sunshine. We are cruising in 11 days. I wanted to respond to the post because of something the upgrade guy said to me on the phone. He said "I see you'll be celebrating your anniversary on this cruise. We like to offer upgrades to people when they have a special occasion."

Now, I have NO idea if this is true or not or just a sales pitch to remind me that it's a "special cruise." Anyway, food for thought. Anyone else have get an upgrade call when it was a special occasion?

We got the upgrade call today. We will be sailing on the Pride in a couple of weeks. We have an extended balcony now and was asked if we wanted to upgrade to the grand suite for $700 more or an ocean suite for $500. It was tempting but we declined. Sounded like a good deal though especially when we have $500 OBC.

Yes we have. It was our first cruise. We booked on the Ecstasy and originally booked an ocean view. Changed our minds and called and upgraded to a balcony. Then about a week before the cruise we got a phone call asking if we wanted to upgrade to some sort of suite. It was our first cruise so I don't remember what suite it was. I really think they said captain's suite, but I can't remember. My fiancee said no. I really wish we had booked it though, because it was for our honeymoon!