Cell Phone Use at Port of Baltimore

Cinnamon2

I read that you cannot use your cell phone while at the Port of Baltimore. Something about TSA agents telling you to put the phone away if they see you using one and that they might confiscate your phone. My dilemma is that our family will need to communicate back and forth before checking in. We will be in separate vehicles arriving from different locations. My DH and I need to check in and board with our 5 year old grandson who will be with his parents and sisters. We all live about 7 hours away and may or may not drive down the same day. The best scenario would be for us to keep in touch by phone and find each other at the port and using our cell phones would work perfectly. Is it true that we cannot use cell phones at the Port of Baltimore?

I have sailed out of Baltimore a couple times and have never heard of that rule, but I never tried to use my cell phone in the terminal either. I'm sure you can use it outside and inside before you go through security. Maybe you can't use it in line while waiting to check in, and I'm sure you can't use it after you have checked in. They try to get people on board fast, and they are pretty good at it. They don't let people linger around long in the area after check-in and before the gangway. I know you can use it on the ship. One of the benefits of sailing out of Bmore is that you will have good (and free) cell service for the first day as the ship sails down the Chesapeake Bay.

I read that you cannot use your cell phone while at the Port of Baltimore. Something about TSA agents telling you to put the phone away if they see you using one and that they might confiscate your phone. My dilemma is that our family will need to communicate back and forth before checking in. We will be in separate vehicles arriving from different locations. My DH and I need to check in and board with our 5 year old grandson who will be with his parents and sisters. We all live about 7 hours away and may or may not drive down the same day. The best scenario would be for us to keep in touch by phone and find each other at the port and using our cell phones would work perfectly. Is it true that we cannot use cell phones at the Port of Baltimore?

This may be true in the terminal itself. I cannot recall seeing them warn anyone about their phones inside the terminal - checkin is usually so fast, we are through in 30 minutes or less. But two options - you can wait outside the terminal building itself and use your phone, or use it while you are onboard the ship. Incidentally, your cell phones will work the entire time you are sailing down the Chesapeake.

PS: you might also want to cross post this to the East Coast Departure ports forum - someone local may know the exact policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by RSLeesburg

I have sailed out of Baltimore a couple times and have never heard of that rule, but I never tried to use my cell phone in the terminal either. I'm sure you can use it outside and inside before you go through security. Maybe you can't use it in line while waiting to check in, and I'm sure you can't use it after you have checked in. They try to get people on board fast, and they are pretty good at it. They don't let people linger around long in the area after check-in and before the gangway. I know you can use it on the ship. One of the benefits of sailing out of Bmore is that you will have good (and free) cell service for the first day as the ship sails down the Chesapeake Bay.

He he - we were typing at the same time...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not TSA that handles cruise ship security - it's Customs. It's no different than clearing customs at the airport. Once you enter the customs lines they expect you to have your cell phone put away/silent.

So the only concern is on the way back....not checking in.

I was approaching security where x-ray machines are and was told to put phone away. This was about 4 years ago.

I have seen people talking on phones while sitting in the terminal after they have checked in and are waiting for boarding to begin.

Edited by retiredgram

we were told last year to put our phones away while sitting in the chairs waiting to board. You may listen to music but no phone calls or texts. The waiting area is one big room and you sit in rows the way you will board and you will be asked to fill in every seat. If you want to board together i suggest you wait outside till everyone is present then enter together. If you really need to communicate, sneak into the bathroom and text.

Thank you all for your input. Hopefully we will find each other in the terminal easily so we can check in.

This is a non issue.

Go ahead and check in. Grandson can check in with his parents and sisters.

You do not have to check in at the same time.

Loxley, grandson is I registered in our cabin, so you say he can check in with his parents? So I will print individual boarding passes. Thanks for the info.

Exactly. the people in the same room can check in at different times.

You are right about the boarding pass, however, even if he does not have one, they can just check the list for him. It usually does take a little extra time, so having a boarding pass is best.

It's not TSA that handles cruise ship security - it's Customs. It's no different than clearing customs at the airport. Once you enter the customs lines they expect you to have your cell phone put away/silent.

So the only concern is on the way back....not checking in.

The security at the port is under the jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard The rules cone under Maritime Security Act (MARSAC) that all US ports must follow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

If the staff (port employees, security, whatever) see you using your phones at Cruise Maryland, they will tell you to stop. (Been there done that...though texting is probably easier to do than a conversation)

You can always go into the restroom and fire off a quick text..;)