Eclipse Review-Dec 21 to Jan 4 sailing (2014-15)

wedding96

Very few lines use real raw fish in the Sushi(too many sanitary issues))so it's "California" type rolls. We found the food to be overall excellent on the Eclipse. We feel that a lot has to do with the excutive chef on board. I know they have real limits, but a good one can still make things work.Seems food is really subjective on these boards. We cater to gourmet tastes & found celebrity to meet our needs.The MDR was the quivalant of a decent shoreside restaurant(I DON'T mean Applebees!)The specialty rest. close to a high end rest.The Oceanview cafe(like all lidos)pretty much ok banquet food.

Thanks for your input. I know very few lines use real raw fish in the Sushi. However, I was talking about what the cruise lines do use in the way of fish. My point was that at night from 5:30pm until in the Oceanview cafe, you could get tuna, salmon, squid, and octopus Sushi. However, during the Brunch, I was told they do not make it or serve it until the evening. That was my point.

Fully understand that the Executive Chief should make a difference. However, I would assume that the basic menu, ingredients, should be basically the same, regardless.

Celebrity has slipped in the food. In 2014 we were on RCL, Princess and Celebrity. At one time Celebrity really surpassed in food quality, service, preparation, etc. However, now there is very little difference between the 3 cruise lines in food. Celebrity has slipped. JMHO!

Personally, I believe Celebrity still has the best Buffet (Oceanview Cafe) compare to RCL, Princess, HAL, MSC, Costa, NCL as we have been on all of them.

Thanks for your input. I know very few lines use real raw fish in the Sushi. However, I was talking about what the cruise lines do use in the way of fish. My point was that at night from 5:30pm until in the Oceanview cafe, you could get tuna, salmon, squid, and octopus Sushi. However, during the Brunch, I was told they do not make it or serve it until the evening. That was my point.

Fully understand that the Executive Chief should make a difference. However, I would assume that the basic menu, ingredients, should be basically the same, regardless.

Celebrity has slipped in the food. In 2014 we were on RCL, Princess and Celebrity. At one time Celebrity really surpassed in food quality, service, preparation, etc. However, now there is very little difference between the 3 cruise lines in food. Celebrity has slipped. JMHO!

Personally, I believe Celebrity still has the best Buffet (Oceanview Cafe) compare to RCL, Princess, HAL, MSC, Costa, NCL as we have been on all of them.

I'll have to check on the Sushi. What I saw was pretty tame for someone like me! I think I do recall some Octopus & Tuna Sushi. It was tame overall. Our trip is in less than a week so I'll report back on the food quality. Our last Cunard trip in 2012(Queen Victoria)the food was pretty good but much smaller portions & rather unwillingness of the staff to bring extra. On the Eclipse last year the food was excellent & they were most wiling to bring more if requested.I'm hoping the quality hasn't diminished since that time. It's one of the reasons we switched from Cunard.

Muushka , we were on the Eclipse Nov23-Dec 7 2014 and totally agree with you about Karen and Abbey, our stewards on 12! They could not have worked harder to please us and keep our room in terrific shape. Our MDR table of 6 from 3 countries were generally very happy with our dinners and service, with only 2 or 3 items not top notch. Yes, things have changed, items are no longer available, but our room personnel and dinner staff are covering more rooms and tables than ever before.

On this last trip, more frustration came from other passengers ( chair hogs, people who would not move INTO the elevator, but remained right inside the door so others could not enter, kids pushing all the elevator floor buttons or screaming like described above, etc. ) and our thinking that there was a lack of true "activities" on sea days. I don't count jewelry showings, new watch introductions, , etc as an activity, but such items covered half the page each day!

But it is always interesting to see the different experiences from the same /subsequent ship sailings..it is all from one's perspective.

The families cruising is the reason we'd not do a holiday cruise. It's the parents who need spanking, not the kids! Either properly watch your children or stay home! Period!

The families cruising is the reason we'd not do a holiday cruise. It's the parents who need spanking, not the kids! Either properly watch your children or stay home! Period!

I would have given my eye tooth to meet up with one of the dear adolescents (screaming in the elevator) with their parents. At that age, those kids knew exactly what they were doing. Old enough to be alone, certainly not mature enough.

I'll have to check on the Sushi. What I saw was pretty tame for someone like me! I think I do recall some Octopus & Tuna Sushi. It was tame overall. Our trip is in less than a week so I'll report back on the food quality. Our last Cunard trip in 2012(Queen Victoria)the food was pretty good but much smaller portions & rather unwillingness of the staff to bring extra. On the Eclipse last year the food was excellent & they were most wiling to bring more if requested.I'm hoping the quality hasn't diminished since that time. It's one of the reasons we switched from Cunard.

Have a great cruise. What ship are you going on? We will be on the Equinox next month. You should see a lot of raw salmon in the Elite Breakfast, MDR and Oceanview Cafe. Just got through looking at some pics someone else posted in another Thread from the Eclipse. That was a very good representation of the MDR food/servings. Looking at the food shown, it look like that person like well done beef. I like my medium rare.

Do report back on your cruise. Again, enjoy and have a GREAT cruise.

Keithm,

Because of the length of this cruise, while it was over Thanksgiving, there were very few children on board. However, all it takes is two or three together, or sometimes even separately, to cause a problem. Had a screamer in the "waiting to board area" for Concierge for this cruise who went on for most of our wait time (only 20 min or so), but set all our teeth on edge! Parents paid no attention and wandered the room chatting loudly with a large group they were traveling with.

Everyone around us was saying "Please don't let her be on our floor!"

Other than these things, a terrific cruise!

Have a great cruise. What ship are you going on? We will be on the Equinox next month. You should see a lot of raw salmon in the Elite Breakfast, MDR and Oceanview Cafe. Just got through looking at some pics someone else posted in another Thread from the Eclipse. That was a very good representation of the MDR food/servings. Looking at the food shown, it look like that person like well done beef. I like my medium rare.

Do report back on your cruise. Again, enjoy and have a GREAT cruise.

We'll be on the Eclipse Jan.18-Feb.1. I just hate how fast it's approaching. Unfortunately, it will go by just as fast. If only for that watch from that episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy could slow time. He really messed things up when he broke it & everyone else in the world was permanently "frozen" in place.

Keithm,

Because of the length of this cruise, while it was over Thanksgiving, there were very few children on board. However, all it takes is two or three together, or sometimes even separately, to cause a problem. Had a screamer in the "waiting to board area" for Concierge for this cruise who went on for most of our wait time (only 20 min or so), but set all our teeth on edge! Parents paid no attention and wandered the room chatting loudly with a large group they were traveling with.

Everyone around us was saying "Please don't let her be on our floor!"

Other than these things, a terrific cruise!

That's always where the problem lies..the parents! If it was me(or siblings)We'd get slapped so hard, our behinds would be found a week into the future!

I was on the same Christmas and New Years cruise and totally agree with you about the food and cut backs. We couldn't believe only one night chocolates were left in the cabins. The Canyon Ranch hair salon was horrible & ridiculously pricey. $69 for a blow dry style. To get a longer you had to be on deck by 7. And the chairs were filled with towels until 11. The pooI butlers did nothing to stop the chair hogs. I was on this cruise last year and it was 100% better. I'm like you and like Celebrity. This was my 4th Celebrity cruise. I will be back but maybe not for a holiday sailing. I cruise a few different lines and will be on the Princess Regal in March. I did purchase a future cruise credit so I will be back on Celebrity.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hear that quality of food and entertainment are slipping down Eclipse.

I sailed in her last April and I thought that food was good, but entertainment was not, but when Perry is on board - it didn't matter much. I sailed in Equinox in November over Thanksgiving and food was very good, better that on Eclipse. Entertainment was hit or miss. We paired Equinox with 5 days on Liberty of the Sea - wow! and not in the good way. It will be a long time before I sail with RC again. Would like to try Princess again. I hope they have changed for a better, but for now Celebrity, we are coming back in 2 months - don't disappoint us.

Sorry to hear that quality of food and entertainment are slipping down Eclipse.

I sailed in her last April and I thought that food was good, but entertainment was not, but when Perry is on board - it didn't matter much. I sailed in Equinox in November over Thanksgiving and food was very good, better that on Eclipse. Entertainment was hit or miss. We paired Equinox with 5 days on Liberty of the Sea - wow! and not in the good way. It will be a long time before I sail with RC again. Would like to try Princess again. I hope they have changed for a better, but for now Celebrity, we are coming back in 2 months - don't disappoint us.

I've not cruised on the Equinox but want to book the ship. Maybe because it was a 14 day. Many of the staff seemed tired. Last year we were so impressed with everyone's friendliness and awesome customer service. It's been a few years sine I've sailed with Princess and I'm looking forward to the new ship. Every cruise is wonderful and each ship has it's own WOW factors. I just love to cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app