Photo tour of Norwegian Jewel 10002, forward penthouse suite with large balcony

ranran87

Thank you, Randall, for taking the time to put this photo tour together. I am going on the Jewel and staying in an aft penthouse suite in March. This was so helpful to see what all is in the room and what items to bring to help make the cabin more efficient.

Thanks for posting all the detailed pictures, great job.

We were in a Forward Suite on the Star, quite a bit different cabin layout.

I agree with you, we have had that 'shin-buster' bench twice before, and finally just moved it away from the end of the bed. I think they should just remove them, they are pretty useless.

We hop on the Dawn in a week, aft, and again, the first thing we will do is move that bench out of the way. Maybe I should call the concierge desk and ask them to remove it from the cabin.

The other thing we do not bother using, is that silly bathroom scale. I do not need that to let me know what my edible-consumptions are while on a cruise.

We never touch the scale, just leave it as is. ;)

Thanks for posting this! Best review of the forward PH I've seen. We sail Deck 10 AFT PH's and the first thing we do is have our cabin steward remove the bench from the foot of the bed. I think he stores it in the steward closet down the hall. Love the LED flashlight tip also. We bring a small LED nightlight and plug it into the outlet above the sink (near the ceiling). We also bring a bungee cord to keep the bathroom door open at night (hooking it t the makeup desk).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting your photo review of this cabin. I know it is a lot of work to #1 take the photos and #2 compose your photo review and it is appreciated.

We were in forward facing suite 9500 on the Pearl for our 40th anniversary a number of years ago. We were lucky - got a very reasonable upsell from a mini suite. The set up looks very similar. I learned that I am not a fan of staterooms with the hull door and smaller window next to it and would probably not book one of these staterooms again. I like natural light in my stateroom - the more the better :) Sometimes I could not even open the hull door and had to call for help. On Glacier Bay day which for me is very special an NCL employee was on his cell phone for a long time directly below our stateroom talking and laughing very loudly. I understand the open bow area for the crew but it kind of spoiled the ambiance for me.

Randall, awesome picture review. I am booked in aft penthouse; so I assume the room will be similar; my question is; how many 60 cycle outlets are in the room? I will be charging two iPhones; two iPads, and camera batteries; not all at once; but am curious. Did you and your wife ever feel crowded in the suite; or in the bathroom?

Edited by AF-1
added txt

Thank you so much for the post. We have stayed in a deck 10 aft penthouse so we were already familiar with the room layout and you did a great job showing the layout! We have been on the back both sides and the top of the ship and now we will be experiencing the front of the ship. We will be right next door in 10000 and your balcony pics are wonderful! We very much appreciate the perspective your photos provide! Thank you for taking the time to do this! :D:D

The bridge never bothered me, maybe because I wasn't doing anything they might have found interesting--when I was out I was either gazing out to sea or sitting and reading. It was a little disconcerting when the neighbors, either to the side or below, were also out. If they were just sitting quietly, I wouldn't know they were there, but then I would hear a cough or smell cigarette smoke, and I would be reminded I was not alone.

Smell cigarette smoke? I thought NCL's new smoking policy forbade smoking in the room and also on the balcony as of November 2014? We are both non smokers and are thrilled with their new policy. I just hope it is being enforced.

Edited by kdzkatz

Randall, awesome picture review. I am booked in aft penthouse; so I assume the room will be similar; my question is; how many 60 cycle outlets are in the room? I will be charging two iPhones; two iPads, and camera batteries; not all at once; but am curious. Did you and your wife ever feel crowded in the suite; or in the bathroom?

I think there were outlets by the balcony door, at the desk under the TV, and at the makeup table. There was one in the bathroom which was labeled as suitable for shavers only. We were quite happy we brought a power strip and an extension cord.

I never felt crowded in the main area, but the hallway to the bathroom was narrow, so we had to do a bit of dancing while negotiating our way to and from the bathroom/makeup table/storage area.

Smell cigarette smoke? I thought NCL's new smoking policy forbade smoking in the room and also on the balcony as of November 2014? We are both non smokers and are thrilled with their new policy. I just hope it is being enforced.

At least two of our nearby neighbors were not following the policy, much to my disappointment. However, if they stay out of sight to the back of their balconies and dispose of the evidence, apparently they can get away with it. I smelled smoke on several occasions, and one time I even saw an arm extend from a 9th deck balcony to flick a cigarette butt into the sea. :eek:

P1000688_zps4fbaf5b4.jpg

Here is a view from the starboard side of the rail looking to port. You can see our inboard neighbor’s balcony and window. If I went to the left side of the rail and looked toward his room, I would be able to see his entire balcony and perhaps into his room, if his door was open or curtain was not drawn. Of course I never did that, but I was always conscious of the possibility that my neighbors could do that to me, if they wished.

P1000689_zpsfcb64d5b.jpg

A similar view from the opposite direction. Here you can see the outboard neighbor’s balcony opening.

Thanks so much. Pictures are *so* helpful!

The upper photo here above - that is next to you, but the window (doors?) is quite different.

Is that the OS on the port side?

Does anyone have a photo of what the door/window looks like from inside and/or outside on the OS (Decks 9 and 10)?

And I take it that the big (metal?) plate that is attached to the deck divider (shown behind your wife) is to cover the window in extremely high seas?

(If not, what is that?)

I hadn't thought about that. That would mean no daylight at all, right?

If this is correct, does anyone know how severe the conditions must be for this to be put in place?

Is all of this the same on Pearl and Dawn?

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

At least two of our nearby neighbors were not following the policy, much to my disappointment. However, if they stay out of sight to the back of their balconies and dispose of the evidence, apparently they can get away with it. I smelled smoke on several occasions, and one time I even saw an arm extend from a 9th deck balcony to flick a cigarette butt into the sea. :eek:

I checked their policy and it looks like it is a $250 charge if it is discovered you were smoking on your balcony or in your room. I really hope everyone on the front of the ship is aware of the no smoking policy on our cruise. I will not let it ruin our cruise by any means but I will give the butler a quick call and have it addressed immediately. I am not a snob by any means but I have no tolerance for the inconsideration of others. Call me an advocate or what you will. :D:)

This was our state room for that cruise but had to cancel due to the sudden death of my wife's sister. Glad you got to enjoy it. We are going to re-book it for a later date. Glad you took the pictures was hard finding any pictures of it.

I was originally in a mini-suite and upgraded when the room was available a few days before departure. I felt lucky to get it, but I had no idea it was because of a family tragedy. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Nice photos. I previously stayed in a forward penthouse suite on the Jade and I do miss that huge balcony. I noticed someone asked about lack of privacy on the balcony but I never once felt a lack of privacy as I was just so awed by the size of the balcony and the views.

I checked their policy and it looks like it is a $250 charge if it is discovered you were smoking on your balcony or in your room. I really hope everyone on the front of the ship is aware of the no smoking policy on our cruise. I will not let it ruin our cruise by any means but I will give the butler a quick call and have it addressed immediately. I am not a snob by any means but I have no tolerance for the inconsideration of others. Call me an advocate or what you will. :D:)

We're with you on this!

• 1 month later...