Does Celebrity have local currency on Asian Cruises?

geospyder

We will be doing a B2B in Asia in a few months on the Millie. Will we be able to exchange pocket change, say $50, into the local currency for the various ports that we will visit (China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan) at Guest Relations?

We will be doing a B2B in Asia in a few months on the Millie. Will we be able to exchange pocket change, say $50, into the local currency for the various ports that we will visit (China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan) at Guest Relations?

You will be MUCH better off using an ATM for some local currency than exchanging on the ship. All the stops you will make have ATM's right at the cruise ports.

Agree with above poster. ATM's tend to offer reasonable rates, where as 3rd parties do not, as they need to cover the fee they got of the ATM they got their money from, and make themselves something in the process. Lose the middle man, save some money.

I've done lots of international travel, and only get local currency at ATM's now. Years ago, i wouldn't do it, but now, I do, don't even use the airport currency kiosks unless I'm changing foreign back into US, which can't be done at an ATM.

The ship likely will have foreign cash at guest relations, but it may be limited based on how many people have been exchanging....

In Asia on Millennium we primarily used ATMs but we also had to exchange some cash here and there. While some ports were commercial container ports, every location we visited had money exchange kiosks that had favorable rates. Guides were always aware of which were the best ones.

Make sure you know if you banks charges extra frees if using an ATM with foreign currency. For example USAA charges and extra 1% unless your active duty military (I think on deployment).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Make sure you know if you banks charges extra frees if using an ATM with foreign currency. For example USAA charges and extra 1% unless your active duty military (I think on deployment).

BofA charges $5 for every transaction not done on a partner bank's ATM.