Average cost of excursions in central med - which need shuttle / excursion

KatKin76

Hi All

This is my 1st post, so apologies for asking this if it's been asked loads before.

Could someone tell me the average cost of excursions on a central med cruise (we've only got P&O caribbean cruises to go by, so don't know how they compare)?

We're looking to book a 2 week autumn cruise out of southampton, but we will have a 14 month old with us (our 1st cruise as parents :eek:) so will probably be more reliant on ship excursions than before, rather than arranging our own thing. The ones I'm particularly thinking of taking excursions for are Florence and Rome given the distance they are from port.

Also, of the following, which city centres are accessible by foot versus needing a shuttle? Vigo, Lisbon, Gibraltar , Monte Carlo & Ajaccio (last stop is cadiz, but I know it well)?

Thanks

Edited by KatKin76

There's a theme I've noticed on here, when someone posts about infants on cruises, excursions with infants or deck space used for infant cots etc, there are many views but responses are very slow to non existent!

I'm taking it you are in Bradford and will either be driving yourselves to Southampton or taking the coach, either way 5 or 6 hours.

Then risking a very choppy, autumnal seasick crossing out of Southampton for maybe the first 2 days and same on the way back.

.....with a 14 month old?!

I would think that would be horrendous for you, but maybe not?

Excursion wise, Rome is a long coach journey, it's packed year round once you arrive, the coach often moves quite quick on the journey in but once near Rome can be a gridlocked nightmare. There are steps, hills and uneven surfaces everywhere.

Maybe baby will be on someone's back rather than a pushchair?

The trips usually sell out so the coach is full, no room to give baby their own seat or let them potter about a bit.

For me I think the organised excursions are tiring, quite often lots of waiting around, waiting for others, getting dropped in an area you may not want to see etc

....but don't let me put you off!

Hi All

This is my 1st post, so apologies for asking this if it's been asked loads before.

Could someone tell me the average cost of excursions on a central med cruise (we've only got P&O caribbean cruises to go by, so don't know how they compare)?

We're looking to book a 2 week autumn cruise out of southampton, but we will have a 14 month old with us (our 1st cruise as parents :eek:) so will probably be more reliant on ship excursions than before, rather than arranging our own thing. The ones I'm particularly thinking of taking excursions for are Florence and Rome given the distance they are from port.

Also, of the following, which city centres are accessible by foot versus needing a shuttle? Vigo, Lisbon, Gibraltar , Monte Carlo & Ajaccio (last stop is cadiz, but I know it well)?

Thanks

I think that both Florence & Rome are going to be difficult with a 14 month old, both are long journeys on the coach. Last year we went into Rome and it took over 2 hours on the coach because of the traffic. Both cities are always very busy. We found that the excursions were quite expensive but took us to places that we wanted to see but we have been back to both cities and done our own sightseeing since because the guides tended to spend less time than we liked at places that were more interesting to us but then allowed far more shopping time than we would have chosen as we are not great shoppers.

Vigo, Gibraltar, Monte Carlo & Ajaccio are all accessible by foot, Lisbon depends on where the ship docks, we have been docked way out where we needed to take a shuttle and we have also been docked close enough to the city to walk in. Monte Carlo and Ajaccio are usually tender ports but when you get off the tender they are easy to walk around.

We took the Rome by yourself train excursion with a 17 month old and would recommend over a coach journey. Once you're on the train its only about 50 minutes into Rome. There was also just enough room to have the stroller up with a sleeping child on the way back. (I just want to add as well that we had absolutely no problems with the pushchair in Rome :-) )

We opted just to do Pisa instead of Florence as we knew our little girl would not sit for the coach trip to Florence. Pisa was only about 30 minutes by coach.

The only other port we've done is Ajaccio and we docked in the centre very close to shops and restaurants.

Have a great cruise. We found P&O to be fantastic with an infant!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just to add re the Rome train, there are 3 or 4 key trains, that being the ones for the first hour or so after disembarkation starts that are an absolute SCRUM when trying to board.

You have far too many cruise ship passengers trying to get too few seats and its carnage.

thanks all, really helpful advice.

Agree a coach journey prob wouldn't be the best option if it takes 2hrs plus. I've been to Rome a few times for work and used trains, so was just thinking about how busy they can be and worrying about missing the ship. Good to hear it can be done with a buggy Nicilia.

I'm not worried about the drive to Southampton - we'll go down the day before & take our time.

I guess a rough crossing is a gamble that time of year. We'd prefer to sail from Southampton over flying given no luggage limits, a definite plus with a small child. My parents live in Spain over winter and have mostly had good crossings, though I'm now wondering if a cruise ship is more susceptible to rough seas than a ferry?

We have had quite calm crossings of the B of B in November, but last years was different.

We were both a bit iffy along with many others. I admit that we were as aft as you can get, but we have always been ok before. I don't think I could have handled a youngster during that crossing.

It is worth considering what happens if it is a rough crossing and you are both not feeling l00%

The train we took was chartered by the cruiselines so wasn't public transport. You're guaranteed a seat and no standing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I thought the P&O "Rome on your own" was still a coach tour. Maybe not....

thanks all, really helpful advice.

I guess a rough crossing is a gamble that time of year. We'd prefer to sail from Southampton over flying given no luggage limits, a definite plus with a small child. My parents live in Spain over winter and have mostly had good crossings, though I'm now wondering if a cruise ship is more susceptible to rough seas than a ferry?

Your guess is right about the gamble . We have crossed the bay many times, not just on Cruise ships but on That well known French ferry company to Bilbao & Santander. We have travelled all months between April to October and in all that time I have only experienced one really rough crossing - and that was in August! I don't think you feel it any worse on a cruise ship, just the opposite but depending on the itinerary the cruise ships tend to cross the BOB further out to sea than the ferry and it can be a bit more bumpy sometimes.

I've never travelled with a small child but lots of people do and cope well so I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure you will find places to go to in the ports, but would probably heed others advice and forego the long coach trip to Rome, especially as you have been before. Why not take advantage of the peace and quiet on the ship that day and treat yourself to a spa treatment! They usually have some good offers on port days.

Whatever you decide , have a lovely trip.

Just to add re the Rome train, there are 3 or 4 key trains, that being the ones for the first hour or so after disembarkation starts that are an absolute SCRUM when trying to board.

You have far too many cruise ship passengers trying to get too few seats and its carnage.

Maybe something else to consider....how many other liners will be in port on the day that you are in Civitavecchia?? I am booked on Ventura 27th September and on the 1st October we will be in Civitavecchia and so will four other cruise ships (so far!) disgorging a possible 13,133 passengers with "all roads leading to Rome" :eek:

Ive only just discovered this so as Ive been to Rome before I think I'll be looking at somewhere a bit closer or might just stay aboard. Also Sunday is not too good a day to visit Rome....St. Peter's is usually very busy because the Pope waves out of his window after Mass and lots of visitors tend to try and make this meeting.

Maybe something else to consider....how many other liners will be in port on the day that you are in Civitavecchia?? I am booked on Ventura 27th September and on the 1st October we will be in Civitavecchia and so will four other cruise ships (so far!) disgorging a possible 13,133 passengers with "all roads leading to Rome" :eek:

Ive only just discovered this so as Ive been to Rome before I think I'll be looking at somewhere a bit closer or might just stay aboard. Also Sunday is not too good a day to visit Rome....St. Peter's is usually very busy because the Pope waves out of his window after Mass and lots of visitors tend to try and make this meeting.

We have been to Rome many times so on the last 2 visits to Civitavecchia we have been on shorter tours. 4 years ago we went on one to Tuscania which is a lovely medieival town and not too far from Civitavecchia, the tour that we did included a visit to an artisanal gelateria where we had the best ice cream I ever tasted. Last year we went on a tour to Lake Bolsena, this cruise included a visit to a winery where we tasted 3 different wines and had some local snacks. My husband and I chose different wines and so managed to sample 6, of course this meant that we spent quite a few euros because the wines were so good that we had to buy a bottle of each that we had tasted. We were taken to a small village, that I can't remember the name of, and we were spent about 1 hour there and went for a walk along the lake side which was absolutely beautiful.

You could always stay in Citiwhateveritis.

It's a lovely little town, nice shopping and just the other side of town centre, easily walkable from the coach drop off, is a lovely beach.

That's our regular haunt. Done Rome enough both flying direct and as a cruise.

Something quite nice about seeing everyone else trundle off the ship for a long and hectic day as we disembark at our leisure, go for a stroll then a nice coffee, buy some wine, then the pick of the sun loungers for the afternoon.

It's a lovely little town, nice shopping and just the other side of town centre, easily walkable from the coach drop off, is a lovely beach.

That's our regular haunt. Done Rome enough both flying direct and as a cruise.

Something quite nice about seeing everyone else trundle off the ship for a long and hectic day as we disembark at our leisure, go for a stroll then a nice coffee, buy some wine, then the pick of the sun loungers for the afternoon.

SOLD! To the lady with the crystal ball. On Azura in May.

Completely agree if you are there mid-week but if it is Sunday everywhere is closed and a lot of places also close at lunchtime on Saturdays.

Completely agree if you are there mid-week but if it is Sunday everywhere is closed and a lot of places also close at lunchtime on Saturdays.

Yep, that could be a problem, even on small trips to nearer villages/attractions. Oh, what to do???:confused:

What about Tuscania or Tarquinia? Any thoughts, views or reviews please??:o

The shops on the Main Street aren't great, it's a few chemists, newsagents and other odds and sods, plus s fruit market half way up.

There is a clothes store half way up that's a bit like Zara and a couple of Italian chain stores.

The cafes on the prom front will still be open and are very pleasant people watching locations.