Regent vs. Seabourn

kmkord

I have an answer for that but Im not sure it would survive a CC host.

I'l just say that some people need to remember that they aren't the hot HS cheeleaders and that pulling out their Pom Poms here actually hurts their favorite cruise line. Especially when every post is met by pom poms.

What does all this look like to someone who doesn't post?

You have those with experience on both lines stating A > B or that perhaps A >B or in their opinion A > B. Or even that A = B. Then you have a person who's never been on A stating that B. So you have those that know making a comparison one way and you have those that don't know making a somewhat uninformed guess the other.

I gave your post a lot of thought before deciding to respond. Kindly take that into consideration.

When you mention "cheerleaders", I must assume that I am one of them - although I am only a cheerleader about 75% of the time (I have remained firm in my feelings about included excursions and the "concierge" program since their inceptions), I still am an avid supporter of Regent.

While I am not totally clear on your A and B examples, let me explain the following:

Because I am so open with the cruise lines that we have sailed on, CC members that read my "reviews" of cruise lines that are new to us (specifically Oceania and Silversea), may decide to ignore my posts. I can only wonder what they think when they read parts of my review(s) where I feel that Oceania and/or Silversea are actually better than Regent.

I can only also assume that Seabourn customers that read my comments about smoking on balconies are not happy that I brought this up. Would they feel the same if my comments were positive (even though I have not sailed on Seabourn?) The reason that I ask is because I have stated more than once that the entertainment and food on Crystal (another line that we have not sailed) are reportedly better or equal to Regent.

I try very hard to be open to new experiences. As posted several times previously, we really enjoy Silversea and would sail on them again. Our concern about Silversea is the maintenance of their ships. In terms of Oceania, although we absolutely love their suites, it is a challenge for us to be on a ship where there are spaces where only passengers in the "concierge class or above" can visit. Also, when you add in the cost of alcohol (currently $60/day/person) puts them in competition with Regent in terms of fares.

Although I understand that people may disregard my reviews because of my strong preference for Regent, I still post those reviews as there may be other Regent customers that may be interested. What I do not do, however, is go to the Oceania, Silversea, Seabourn or Crystal boards and post what I do not like about their cruise line (whether I have sailed on them or not). To explain this a bit further, although we would not want to have the type of seating that is currently available on Crystal or the smoking policy currently in place on Seabourn, I would not go onto their boards and repeatedly express my dissatisfaction with their policies.

You asked what all of this looks like to people that do not post. While I think I have answered that question, let me summarize. If everything were equal (which it is not since, unfortunately, too many posters do not list the cruise lines they have sailed on), people may certainly discount my posts/comments. It is possible that one poster may find my posts of interest. If my posts help only help one poster (whether it be to sail Regent or not), I feel that the time I have spent is worth it.

Edited by Travelcat2

You have not sailed Crystal in many years. The Harmony has been long gone so I am guessing over twenty years since you have sailed with them. Crystal wins awards every year and so far 23 Conde Nast and T&L. I have never seen or experienced what you described on Crystal nor what you experienced on RSSC/Radisson. We were told by Seabourn past guests that we would not enjoy it and we would be bored to death. Crystal still is considered a Four Season or Ritz Carlton experience with one caveat, the standard staterooms are not the size of other luxury lines unless you are staying on Penthouse Deck. Crystal has many Regent,Silversea,Seabourn that we have spoken with. These people love the product and all that is offered and it fits the bill for them. The same goes for Regent. Product loyalty is ok.

I have heard great reviews about Oceania and the quality of food and service which is very tempting to test drive. Thank you Jackie for your well rounded review on your cruise with them.

All in all the line of choice is yours. You can either love the line or leave it.

I do believe I mentioned I haven't been on Crystal in a while and that further I will be sailing with them again. Congratulations for not having to experience the S.S. Mickey Mouse on Crystal at Crystal prices (this was pre-DCL and other cruisers on that voyage also used that term for the ship). Consider yourself lucky...

Funny you should mention Oceania... I have a laundry list of their issues but I'll just say on my cruise the food failed as did the service.

Jackie, no need to explain yourself to anyone. I for one enjoy reading about your cruises and your personal experiences and your opinions about other lines. This is what makes CC a source of information for those here and the ones who do not post.

I have always looked at the glass as half full and I can always find something on any line that we have sailed that needs improvement or could be better in some areas. Some people board a ship with a negative attitude from the get go.

We always can find a place on a ship that we love or just stay away from and we are happy campers. Is every line 100% perfect? Absolutly not. If my life were perfect at home I would be delusional.

As long as you enjoy your cruise line of choice enjoy it and be thankful you are able to sail on luxury lines. Not too many people can.

Suite Travels-Miles

We are on the Voyager right now and I am pleased to report I have not met one nasty, nitpicking, rude bully. I was quite concerned after reading CC. You people go after each other witn no holds barred. My mother would be so disappointed to learn the term "luxury" no longer includes civility and class.

Ladyfrog, I'm so glad you posted that! We're taking our first Regent cruise in April and I was starting to think I'd made a huge mistake. So much negativity on here. You've reassured me that we are going to have a great time after all!

Edited by JoBelleChicago

Ladyfrog, I'm so glad you posted that! We're taking our first Regent cruise in April and I was starting to think I'd made a huge mistake. So much negativity on here. You've reassured me that we are going to have a great time after all!

Experienced CC contributors know that these comparison threads always generate more heat than light. Suggest you ignore those which tend to 'rant on' a bit about any line, whether in favour or against. It is a shame if it makes people wary about their first cruise on any line: while you could find the odd thing which is not perfect for you, almost certainly you will enjoy all the rest, as Regent, like the other smaller top end lines, is overall extremely good.:)

JoBelle,

You will really enjoy your cruise. This is our third Regent cruise and we come back for the wonderful service. But the big draw is the wonderful friends we've made and still keep in touch with. I made my comment out of frustration over listening to people snipe at each other on here. I am not new to CC and it just gets to me at times. Someone mentioned CC at lunch today and the whole table started laughing. Obviously all this is not taken too seriously. Glad I could add a little bit to heighten your excitement about your cruise. The anticipation is half the fun! Enjoy every minute of it.

JoBelle, Ladyfrog, I couldn't agree more. Positive, useful conversations here disappear in no time. We are counting down to our next Regent cruise and were thrilled to see our tickets arrive in this morning's post. Woohoo!!

Bill, we're heading off to join Voyager in Hong Kong with a little side trip on the Irrawaddy in Burma on the way ;-) We'll stay on until Singapore this year, so sorry, yet again, it looks like we'll miss one another. I think your summertime plans are somewhat altered too, so maybe we won't be doing lunch either :-(

We will get together one of these days - I too look forward to that!

We are on the Voyager right now and I am pleased to report I have not met one nasty, nitpicking, rude bully. I was quite concerned after reading CC. You people go after each other witn no holds barred. My mother would be so disappointed to learn the term "luxury" no longer includes civility and class.

Kids this days...anyone that doesn't view the world the way you do must be a bully. Right?

JoBelle,

Glad I could add a little bit to heighten your excitement about your cruise. The anticipation is half the fun! Enjoy every minute of it.

I'm sure we will! Less than two months away now and we're getting very, very excited. Enjoy the rest of your trip and any tips or pointers would be very welcome.

JoBelle, Ladyfrog, I couldn't agree more. Positive, useful conversations here disappear in no time. We are counting down to our next Regent cruise and were thrilled to see our tickets arrive in this morning's post. Woohoo!!

I can't wait to get our tickets, it will finally feel real then. Have a great time!

Hi Bill, well yes; some of it several times. But the itinerary includes some new places for us (inc a couple of stops in the Philippines, plus Brunei and Kota Kinabalu) and we've wanted to visit Burma for several years, so it fitted together nicely. Add to that an overnight in Saigon, when we can meet up with some Vietnamese family friends for dinner and it all becomes very attractive. Anyway, like most Regent regulars, we are running out of itineraries (especially since we are limited to particular times of the year). Not that it would stop us, though ;-)

I'll email you our travel plans.

I should note that it is possible to experience Disney, without many children: Transatlantic crossing & Panama Canal. On my Panama Canal Disney Wonder Cruise, there were only around 200 children and the vessel was very upscale.

I have found the both the Disney Magic & Disney Wonder have the best entertainment at sea, with Broadway quality productions, that no other line, (yes I know that many have Broadway type shows) can hold a candle to.

Agreed.

Not sure if there is an optimum or "acceptable" figure in my book, but that's a very personal standpoint. 1 disruptive child negates the benefit of 50 well behaved ones for me. Arguably, 1 can be 1 too many but, on other occasions 20 might be fine etc etc.

Borrowing from another thread - Seabourns included wifi through the loyalty program doesn't limit you to one person/device at a time.

Regent's does not either. It is the "free" internet usage through the concierge program that limits you to one/person/device at a time. The loyalty program has no such limits.

Speaking of comparisons of "free" internet usage, how many nights do you need on Seabourn in order to be entitled to this benefit?

Regent's does not either. It is the "free" internet usage through the concierge program that limits you to one/person/device at a time. The loyalty program has no such limits.

Speaking of comparisons of "free" internet usage, how many nights do you need on Seabourn in order to be entitled to this benefit?

As always the "free";) internet. I can't say exactly because it depends on a few things. If you don't spend a dime on wine, the spa or excursions the shortest would be 20 days. If however you do spend money on wine, the spa or excursions it could be as little as 7 days. For every $100 you spend on board (or via the website) you get a days credit.

The thing Regent does better here IMO is that they give you the credit at the start of the cruise you wouldve earned it on versus Seabourn where its available on the next cruise.

As always the "free";) internet. I can't say exactly because it depends on a few things. If you don't spend a dime on wine, the spa or excursions the shortest would be 20 days. If however you do spend money on wine, the spa or excursions it could be as little as 7 days. For every $100 you spend on board (or via the website) you get a days credit.

The thing Regent does better here IMO is that they give you the credit at the start of the cruise you wouldve earned it on versus Seabourn where its available on the next cruise.

Thank you for the explanation - very interesting policy and a good way to encourage passengers to spend $$$ on board!