HAL emails and computer issues

SJSULIBRARIAN

I hope those of you who are more technologically savvy than I am can answer this. I cannot open email attachments from HAL using Internet Explorer but I can open them with Google Chrome. This started about six months ago. I use Windows 7 and Comcast email. Any thoughts? Thanks. Barbara

I have not had trouble with HAL emails but when I try to download the tours listing for a cruise it does not work with IE. You would think HAL would have all the downloads work with IE since that is the most popular browser.:confused:

I have several thoughts but it can be a bit complicated as you might have an issue with one of several IE7 add-ons such as Flash! So one quick thing you can first try is to clear out the cache, cookies, and history. You do this by clicking on the "tools" item on the upper right of the toolbar and then click on the "Internet Options". You will see a "Browsing History" area and you want to click on "Delete." If you have a current version of IE you will then get another tab with a few options and make sure the first 4 items (down to and including "history") are checked and then click on the "delete" item at the bottom of that little window. Then close you IE and reopen and then see if that solves the problem. If not, you do have an add-on issue and this is even more complicated. You could Google "Adobe Flash" and download and install (or reinstall) the latest version. If this does not solve your problem then you are going to need somebody who is pretty good with computers (sorry but I am in Mexico at the moment ) to check your various add-on settings. Another more difficult option is to do a complete reinstall of IE...but this is somewhat complicated and should be done only by a person who is very comfortable messing with PCs.

Hank

I had nothing but problems with Chrome but that being said, the last two updates for IE have had problems too. Might I suggest you try Safari or Firefox to see if it helps on this particular problem? When I have weird stuff happen, I close down IE and use either of the other two and all seems to be fine. Can you tell me what file type you're trying to open? If it's a PDF file, you may need to de-install your Acrobat Reader and reload from Adobe again. I know a few people who have had to do this recently and it solved the problem. Good luck. I know how darn frustrating this can be. Hank's suggestion about clearing out your temp files, cookies and history is an excellent idea too. It's easy if you follow his instructions.

Karen