Canada/New England Best Week

UM-Fan

I am looking for help on selecting the right week to book a New England/Canada cruise. For those of you who have sailed out of New York or Boston, what is typically the right week to see the best color? I know it depends on the weather for the year, but I am looking for what might be the best typical time. Mid September? Late September? Early October? Any thoughts on the best week would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by UM-Fan

I live in New England and it is difficult to pinpoint the best week because the further north you go, the quicker the leaves will have peak color. The leaves in Portland may not be as bright but the leaves in Halifax could already have fallen and in between they could be perfect. I think your best shot would be mid to late September, as October most of the leaves might have turned and fallen, but as you said, weather determines this and it could go either way..

IMHO, The Maine coast is a sight to see at anytime of year and although the foliage is beautiful, it is only one aspect. Just be prepared for cool weather!

Peak color varies year-to-year due to autumn temperatures and precipitation. It also varies north to south. Seems to me the average peak color is around the first weekend in October (north) to second weekend in October (south).

I live in New England and it is difficult to pinpoint the best week because the further north you go, the quicker the leaves will have peak color. The leaves in Portland may not be as bright but the leaves in Halifax could already have fallen and in between they could be perfect. I think your best shot would be mid to late September, as October most of the leaves might have turned and fallen, but as you said, weather determines this and it could go either way..

IMHO, The Maine coast is a sight to see at anytime of year and although the foliage is beautiful, it is only one aspect. Just be prepared for cool weather!

Thanks for the tip. I was first thinking that maybe the late September date would be the best but I am now thinking maybe mid September might be a better choice.

It is nice that the Gem out of New York goes up to Canada first and then comes back with stops in New England states last.

Will definitely expect cool weather. So not popping for a balcony room this time since it would be to cold to take advantage of it. An ocean view will do just fine.

Well I am booked on the late Sept sailing of the Dawn - Boston to Boston RT 14 days. According to all of the stats that should give us the best chance of seeing color somewhere along the way. This will also be my first trip to NE so I will be enjoying it all.:D NCL Suite life all the way - UBP+UDP+600.00 WHOO HO

As a native New Englander, I'd say that the perfect time would be late Sept. into the 1st wk. of Oct. You should have no problem seeing some good color --just remember to pack a jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt as it can be quite chilly up north that time of year. But--you never know. We went on the GEM in Sept., 2012 out of NYC to Canada--going as far as Quebec, which actually had an unbelievable warm spell while we were there, reaching about 81 (F). We couldn't believe our good luck.

Edited by CRUZIN'NANA

As a native New Englander' date=' I'd say that the perfect time would be late Sept. into the 1st wk. of Oct. You should have no problem seeing some good color --just remember to pack a jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt as it can be quite chilly up north that time of year. But--you never know. We went on the GEM in Sept., 2012 out of NYC to Canada--going as far as Quebec, which actually had an unbelievable warm spell while we were there, reaching about 81 (F). We couldn't believe our good luck.[/quote']

I agree, I think late September would be the best. I was thinking to myself, " when do I usually go apple picking? That would be a good time.." And it's typically the last week in September.

New England weather is so unpredictable! You could have anywhere from summer temps down to almost freezing, you never know!! :)

I agree, I think late September would be the best. I was thinking to myself, " when do I usually go apple picking? That would be a good time.." And it's typically the last week in September.

New England weather is so unpredictable! You could have anywhere from summer temps down to almost freezing, you never know!! :)

Well I think you all have talked me into the late September booking on the Gem. Now if the weather and color will cooperate! :D

In Nova Scotia I would also agree late Sept to Early October for best colour. We had a very warm fall this year and colours were not as vivid, still spectacular though. A friend from Nicaragua was more captivated by the fall leaves than the winter snow!

Here's something I found on the discovernewengland dot org site.

In fall (autumn), New England is famous for its glorious foliage as billions of leaves change from green to a kaleidoscope of colors. The air is crisp and cool – perfect for hiking, biking or a classic fly-drive break along back roads, where farm stands are piled high with crunchy apples and orange pumpkins.

When is the best time to come? The leaves start turning colors in the northern regions of Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire typically around mid-to-late September and peaking around mid-October. In the more southern states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and along the coast of New Hampshire and southern Maine, color starts later and often lasts up until November. Use this helpful New Hampshire interactive fall foliage map to plug in potential dates and gauge peak foliage in the scenic mountain areas.

If you go to the website you can see the map and dates for peak color

Here's something I found on the discovernewengland dot org site.

In fall (autumn), New England is famous for its glorious foliage as billions of leaves change from green to a kaleidoscope of colors. The air is crisp and cool – perfect for hiking, biking or a classic fly-drive break along back roads, where farm stands are piled high with crunchy apples and orange pumpkins.

When is the best time to come? The leaves start turning colors in the northern regions of Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire typically around mid-to-late September and peaking around mid-October. In the more southern states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and along the coast of New Hampshire and southern Maine, color starts later and often lasts up until November. Use this helpful New Hampshire interactive fall foliage map to plug in potential dates and gauge peak foliage in the scenic mountain areas.

If you go to the website you can see the map and dates for peak color

I can assure you if you come to Mass in November expecting to see fall foliage, you'll be staring at the ground. The trees are mostly bare by Halloween.

I live there also, and we are at altitude in MA. our color comes somewhat earlier than near the coast. Each year is different and the closer to the coast you get the later the color normally. This year in Northern MA. above 1500 ft altitude we had little color the first week of October. Maine lists the official guide for timing at this link:

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/whenandwhere/eastern.html

I would look towards the second week in October if you want a chance for some really good color. It depend on the weather, warm or rainy have a negative affect, but it is the length of the day that matters most.

We always head inland and towards the mountains for best color, not the coast.

We are on the Sept. 25th sailing on the Dawn this year. I am hoping for the beautiful colors of the Falls I remember in Northern Ohio as a child. I want to experience the wonderful smell of crisp leaves on the ground and on the trees again. We will also be in the deck 12 suites for the first time.