SF- Alcatraz and ?

Markanddonna

Are you looking to walk or would you prefer a wheeled tour? San Francisco offers so many choices:D....you can stroll along the Wharf area and there

are double decker buses that are fun......you could take a ride on one

of those........you don't even need a reservation. They have an info

booth at Fisherman's Wharf and you can get tickets for the bus ride there

too.:D

I was actually thinking about doing a land trip there in the fall.......

but the cruise part of me is pulling me in the other direction LOL.......

I love San Francisco!:)

Not sure if it's the case, but I hear Alcatraz tickets need to be booked in advance because of popularity... tour companies have tickets purchased in advance. Don't forget to get one of those audio tours if you do make it to the island.

In addition to Ghirradeli chocolates in San Fran, my must purchase is some fresh cookies from the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie factory in Chinatown. At $4 a bag, they make great gifts. They also make cookies with "adult" fortunes. They also make "chocolate" fortune cookies too.

http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/attractions/ggfortunecookie.html

Edited by xlxo

There's always the submarine, Mechanical Museum (Museo M..... , it's in French) and Boudin's Sourdough bread on Fishermans Wharf.

Nothing better than Dungeness crab and Boudin's for dinner.

• 4 months later...

If you plan on getting tickets for Alcatraz, get them early. Most know to do this. Go to the official site that's listed online. I wasn't careful enough and used alcatraztickets.com and got snookered. The tickets are legit, but they charge about $10 more per ticket. I called them on it, and they said "you didn't read the terms and conditions". There site looks like the official one, but they are a reseller.

There is a nice aquarium at pier 39 that is really nice. If you are a senior, tickets are not bad at all. It will take about 1 hour to go through the aquarium if you go through slowly and check out everything. I also love going to the ferry building(opposite end of pier 39). There you can taste cow girl creamery cheese or even go to the caviar bar which has been featured on the food network. Lots of really nice shops there. From the ship it would take about a 20 minute walk to get there.