Ketchikan Shore Excursion Qs

mciverjm

gracebest - to answer your question about the eagles, we didn't go to any one place to specifically see eagles - they were everywhere! (Kinda like seagulls on east coast beaches if you catch my drift;)). Just look in the trees for what appear to be white golf balls, those are the heads of these magnificent birds. You can't miss 'em!

Hope you and your grandkids enjoy your visit. A rental car is a wonderful option for family groups w/children!

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary Nature Walk

We are doing this excursion...I am excited. I know some that where there.

I originally had us down for the lumberjack show and a tour of the area.

I'm happy with my decision to change.... we will check out the town after the nature walk.

It's a pretty short, tame walk. You are too early for any salmon runs, so very low chance for any bears.

For others, there are some very nice walking tours and hikes to consider independent.

• 2 weeks later...
Consider booking a tour w/Ketchikan Taxi Cabs. I've been to Ketchikan five times now, and have done an array of excursions including Misty Fiords Flightseeing w/Island Wings, Neets Bay flight to see bears, and many others, so this past year, wanted to do something different. We booked a three hour tour w/Ketchikan Taxi Cabs and it was great! We didn't want to do the touristy stuff because all of us had been to Ketchikan countless times. Our driver, a local resident who was a wealth of information, took us out to the Totem Bight (it was deserted, we had beat the tour busses!) with our own local guide, got a whole new perspective on life in Ketchikan with a personalized drive-by of the outlying areas, saw tons of eagles and even some whales. Afterwards, he had lunch with us at the Burger Queen (highly recommend!) - where we had some fantastic halibut and chips. Very inexpensive 'excursion' split between four people, which provides a great overview of the area, with plenty of time afterwards to walk to Creek Street or shop in port if that is of interest to you. You tell them where you want to go, and they'll take you. If you aren't familiar with what the town has to offer, they will offer some suggestions and are very accomodating. Picked us up right downtown by Sockeye Sams and off we went. Google their website and check out the prices and the tour options available.

Donald's suggestions are spot on as well. Despite your short time in port, if you plan well, you can get a good overview of what Ketchikan has to offer.

Can you give me an idea what you paid to hire the cab for 3 hours?

Thanks

Nancy:)

We booked excursions for our stops in Skagway and Juneau but haven't yet for Ketchikan. We're worried that those two super busy days will leave us tired or that we will get to our last stop at Ketchikan and feel like "we haven't seen/done some important Alaska experience" (ie. we haven't seen a moose, darn . it!) So we were kind of.leaving Ketchikan up in the air. Is that a bad idea?

We booked excursions for our stops in Skagway and Juneau but haven't yet for Ketchikan. We're worried that those two super busy days will leave us tired or that we will get to our last stop at Ketchikan and feel like "we haven't seen/done some important Alaska experience" (ie. we haven't seen a moose, darn . it!) So we were kind of.leaving Ketchikan up in the air. Is that a bad idea?

You aren't likely to see any moose on the inside passage. I've only seen one- once. If you want to see moose, I see them every time, I am mainland Alaska, multiple times per trip.

Usually Ketchikan is a short port day, so, since you are asking, and you also have stated above about seen/done, then yes, I think you are making a mistake by not have at least a couple plans in place. Problem is, if you don't decide this until you get there, you are going to waste valuable time, and have limited selections, that may not be at the best times.

Have in mind, what you may want to do, and perhaps firm it up a few days ahead. With the decision to do nothing one of the selections perhaps?

If you do want to buy salmon of all varieties, I recommend Salmon Etc. We buy a case or so of tinned or smoked salmon from them every time we visit Ketchikan. All their stuff is excellent. Check out their internet site. There is a trick to use to save a few bucks when buying from them. You will have the stuff shipped home instead of carrying it out. However, you will have to pay sales tax on anything you buy inside of the store. However, if you decide what you want inside of the store (they have lots of samples) and then call them on your cell phone from outside of the store, you do not have to pay sales tax.

DON

Don, just wondering why you buy salmon at the store at all rather than directly from their Internet site?

Nancy - Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours are $74/hour. Most tours are 2 to 3 hours. If you have several people like we did (four of us), it was a very inexpensive and enjoyable excursion. No deposit. You pay after the tour - they take both cash or credit card. Google "Ketchikan Taxi Cab" for additional information.