Should I buy the Classic Alcoholic Package?

CruisinManiac

I should say "upgrade to."

I am going on a Caribbean cruise this spring. I have been given a free Non-alcoholic package for my cruise. I do not typically drink that much alcohol, but I do like frozen drinks, Mimosa's, Bloody Mary's, Margarita's, G&T and an occasional glass of wine or beer. I will probably drink more than normal on my upcoming cruise with my friends. :D :)

Will I drink enough to offset the cost of upgrading to the Alcoholic Classic package?

Let's just say that I may have 1 Mimosa in the morning, 1 frozen drink after lunch, 2 Margarita's pre dinner, and 1 glass of wine at dinner. I may even go for another drink after dinner. No judgements! :D

I may not, and probably will not have that much to drink everyday of the cruise, but since I do not know how much each of those drinks would cost, I don't know if the upgrade would be to my advantage.

How much would it be to upgrade my non-alcoholic Classic package to the Classic alcoholic package for a 7 day cruise?

Edited by CruisinManiac

I should say "upgrade to."

I am going on a Caribbean cruise this spring. I have been given a free Non-alcoholic package for my cruise. I do not typically drink that much alcohol, but I do like frozen drinks, Mimosa's, Bloody Mary's, Margarita's, G&T and an occasional glass of wine or beer. I will probably drink more than normal on my upcoming cruise with my friends. :D :)

Will I drink enough to offset the cost of upgrading to the Alcoholic Classic package?

Let's just say that I may have 1 Mimosa in the morning, 1 frozen drink after lunch, 2 Margarita's pre dinner, and 1 glass of wine at dinner. I may even go for another drink after dinner. No judgements! :D

I may not, and probably will not have that much to drink everyday of the cruise, but since I do not know how much each of those drinks would cost, I don't know if the upgrade would be to my advantage.

How much would it be to upgrade my non-alcoholic Classic package to the Classic alcoholic package for a 7 day cruise?

Hello... By the very large number of posts you have made, I would imagine you are very familiar with Cruise Critic and the many resources it offers, including the ability to search forums for common and frequently discussed topics, such as this one.

See post #2 in this thread I found when I did my query. The thread was about the Solstice, but the pricing is the same across the fleet and those prices look mostly correct to me from what I remember on my NOV 2014 cruise. There is an excel spreadsheet that can assist you in calculating your potential spend on drinks so you can figure out for yourself if the cost is worth the purchase/upgrade.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143897

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by vulcan1971

What makes an alcoholic "classic?"
:D

vulvan - I did try a search and got some outdated, lengthy threads.

about what is included, and not included in the package. Perhaps I was not putting in correct terms. I will look at the link you found.

Still looking for how much would it be to upgrade my free non-alcoholic Classic package to the Classic alcoholic package for a 7 day cruise.

Edited by CruisinManiac

The easy answer is to do the math. once you find out the price difference to upgrade, figure out how many drinks you would have on average, multiply by average cost of that drink type, and see if you come out ahead.

The fact that you never have to worry about a big alcohol bill at the end, is a big plus for me (or at least you know what the max will be, the cost of the upgrade)

Edited by Nachosdelux

there are a couple differences between the classic and premier alcohol package. There are more drinks available on premier with little or no cost. With the classic package, if you buy a drink that costs over $8.00, you would pay for the entire drink. With premier, you get drinks up to $14 per. If there is one over that price, you would owe the difference.

The info you want is not difficult to find. Go to Celebrity's website, click Life on Board, Wine and Beverage Packages, Premium and Classic Beverage Packages, and all 4 packages are listed with prices. Classic non-alcoholic is $16, Classic alcoholic is $49, so upgrade is $33+15%=$37.95 per day. T

You don't have to upgrade in advance. On board you could buy your drinks for a couple of days and look at your bill to see if you are spending more or less than $37.95, which is $7.59 per drink if you have 5 alcoholic drinks, and $6.33 for 6. It looks to me that you would come out more or less equal and save the hassel of signing for every drink.

A polite way of saying Waht Celebrity feels is call or not top shelf alcohol. Some of the stuff they feel is premium is actually cheaper than what that they feel is classic.

drink up 🍸🍺🍻🍷🍹

I know what makes beverages fall within the Classic category. I just wondered if my Uncle Stan fit the category. He's a lush from way back.

I think I must have been the only person that got your joke, earlier. :D

The info you want is not difficult to find. Go to Celebrity's website, click Life on Board, Wine and Beverage Packages, Premium and Classic Beverage Packages, and all 4 packages are listed with prices. Classic non-alcoholic is $16, Classic alcoholic is $49, so upgrade is $33+15%=$37.95 per day. T

You don't have to upgrade in advance. On board you could buy your drinks for a couple of days and look at your bill to see if you are spending more or less than $37.95, which is $7.59 per drink if you have 5 alcoholic drinks, and $6.33 for 6. It looks to me that you would come out more or less equal and save the hassel of signing for every drink.

Very helpful post! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions....especially answering the cost to upgrade. :)

Your total cost per day that I might drink/spend came to about what my husband and I figured out last night based on the drink calculation link that someone else posted. My husband says that I would never drink that much. :rolleyes: He is probably correct. We plan to test it out on a cruise that we are taking together before my girls trip. We both have the free Classic Package for that cruise. I am going to do my best to prove him wrong. :D

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

Which NA package do you have? If you have the Premium, you can get your coffee, water, soda, etc., plus frozen drinks without alcohol, if that would satisfy your yen for something fun and tropical. I'm not much of a drinker, so I might try virgin cocktails and frozen drinks for the most part, and pay by the drink for the occasional alcohol.

The difference between classic NA and premium is only $4/day.

Upgrading to an alcohol package is closer to $40

wallie5446 - I didn't factor in the water, soft drinks, coffee, and my favorite...fresh squeezed OJ, because I already have that in the N/A package. I was just trying to figure out if it was worth upgrading another $40 a day for the alcohol. Those N/A beverages also add up. :)

Usually an Academy Award, a hit TV show , or a Platinum album. :)

:D:D

Which NA package do you have? If you have the Premium, you can get your coffee, water, soda, etc., plus frozen drinks without alcohol, if that would satisfy your yen for something fun and tropical. I'm not much of a drinker, so I might try virgin cocktails and frozen drinks for the most part, and pay by the drink for the occasional alcohol.

The difference between classic NA and premium is only $4/day.

Upgrading to an alcohol package is closer to $40

It's the Classic, but you are a genius! Thank you for that suggestion. I believe that might be the ticket! :)