Behind the Fun Tour on Sensation?

JohnMI

Anyone recently done the Behind the Fun Tour on the Sensation (or another Fantasy-class ship)? Is it still $55 or is it more ($95)? The little I can find officially from Carnival seems to indicate that the tour on the bigger ships is 3.5 hours and is $95, but on the smaller ships it is 2 hours and $55. But, a few random posts here and there that I found when searching indicated that maybe the price had gone up on even the smaller ships to the $95 price?

Also, you can only book this on-board, correct?

Is it sometimes not offered on the smaller ships like the Sensation?

Any tips/recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

- John...

Anyone recently done the Behind the Fun Tour on the Sensation (or another Fantasy-class ship)? Is it still $55 or is it more ($95)? The little I can find officially from Carnival seems to indicate that the tour on the bigger ships is 3.5 hours and is $95, but on the smaller ships it is 2 hours and $55. But, a few random posts here and there that I found when searching indicated that maybe the price had gone up on even the smaller ships to the $95 price?

Also, you can only book this on-board, correct?

Is it sometimes not offered on the smaller ships like the Sensation?

Any tips/recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

- John...

We booked this tour on the Splendor for $95.00 pp in 2009. I initially was hesitant due to the cost, however, it was well worth it. It did take about 3 to 4 hours on the last sea day. They take you to all parts of the ship where passengers never get to go; kitchen, bridge, front of the ship, staff living quarters, etc.

You can only book it on the ship. I would recommend booking immediately once on board. I believe there was a limit of 12 people??

We just did the tour on Paradise. It was supposed to cost $55 a person but for some reason, they only charged our account $90 for the two of us. No idea why but I wasn't complaining. :) The tour lasted from 9 o'clock until about 11:40. It was well worth the price. I posted a long review of it on my Paradise review: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151079 Scroll down to post #12.

They offer the tour on Sensation too and we tried to take it last year but it was cancelled because no one else signed up. That must be pretty unusual since it seems to be a popular tour. Our Paradise tour was sold out.

I did this on the Sensation last July. Can't remember the cost, but it was totally worth it. I had heard it fills up fast, so I signed up on the first day, not long after boarding. There were probably 10 or 12 of us on the tour. Going again in May, and considering doing it again.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this... We just got off the Sensation and were NOT able to do this tour -- because Carnival says that it is no longer offered "for safety reasons" after recent changes to the crew area while it was in dry dock a few weeks ago.

I couldn't get any more information out of them.

I've posted a new thread asking if anyone else has heard this or has any more details.

- John...

Just to follow up on this... We just got off the Sensation and were NOT able to do this tour -- because Carnival says that it is no longer offered "for safety reasons" after recent changes to the crew area while it was in dry dock a few weeks ago.

I couldn't get any more information out of them.

I've posted a new thread asking if anyone else has heard this or has any more details.

- John...

On a 11/10 Noordam b2b in January: No behind the scenes tour on the 11 day because of "security reasons". Security Level was 1. On the 10 day, the tour WAS offered. Security Level was still 1.

Why can't ship's staff be upfront and honest when answering a guest's question? I have run into this repeatedly in my cruising experience and it simply infurates me.

Indeed. And he seemed to be saying that it wasn't a temporary thing at all. He made it sound like they made certain changes to the crew area during the recent dry-dock that meant that they wouldn't be doing it any more at all!

Of course, there are often some "language barriers" with those working the desk. So, maybe he did just mean it was temporary -- but that was not the impression I got from him. He certainly implied that it was simply gone -- at this from the Sensation -- because of changes recently made.

- John...

Indeed. And he seemed to be saying that it wasn't a temporary thing at all. He made it sound like they made certain changes to the crew area during the recent dry-dock that meant that they wouldn't be doing it any more at all!

Of course, there are often some "language barriers" with those working the desk. So, maybe he did just mean it was temporary -- but that was not the impression I got from him. He certainly implied that it was simply gone -- at this from the Sensation -- because of changes recently made.

- John...

That was the precise message that I received; we do this no more.

When I did find out the tour was available and returned to the Front Office to book it, I had to deal with the same individual. He again told me it was not available (even though it was listed in the "On Location" daily program). I insisted that it was. He had to call the Guest Relations Manager to confirm this was so, but then, did properly book me on the tour.

• 4 months later...