Alaska Cruise in Sept 2015

TXRed

This is our first cruise to Alaska. We will be on the Ruby, departing Seattle on 9/6/15. For those that might have sailed during this period could you tell us what clothing is most appropriate to take? We will look at dual purpose clothing and layering...but not sure which direction to go for formal and/or smart casual Asking for both mean and women. TIA

This is our first cruise to Alaska. We will be on the Ruby, departing Seattle on 9/6/15. For those that might have sailed during this period could you tell us what clothing is most appropriate to take? We will look at dual purpose clothing and layering...but not sure which direction to go for formal and/or smart casual Asking for both mean and women. TIA

You'll have two formal nights during the cruise (check the Princess site). All other nights are smart casual . For the day you'll need to layer your cloths. You can be in bright sunshine one minute , 5 minutes rainy and cool.

We have done two Alaskan cruises in September and found them to be no different than the two we've done in June. The weather can be everything from warm and sunny to rain and sleet in both months. We found that people do dress far more casually on Alaskan cruises than other cruises, but most still adhere to the ship's guidelines for formality. We did see a man in jeans with a plaid flannel shirt and suspenders on formal night in the main dining room one evening and were plenty surprised. But hey... everyone's idea of formal is obviously different. Bring a good lightweight waterproof raincoat for excursions and layer layer layer!! Enjoy.

We have done two Alaskan cruises in September and found them to be no different than the two we've done in June. The weather can be everything from warm and sunny to rain and sleet in both months. We found that people do dress far more casually on Alaskan cruises than other cruises, but most still adhere to the ship's guidelines for formality. We did see a man in jeans with a plaid flannel shirt and suspenders on formal night in the main dining room one evening and were plenty surprised. But hey... everyone's idea of formal is obviously different. Bring a good lightweight waterproof raincoat for excursions and layer layer layer!! Enjoy.

thanks ....especially for mentioning a waterproof rain gear. By more casual...what do you mean....especially men...are dockers and a long sleeve shirt OK for men? And are dressy jeans OK for women? LOL. to jeans, plaid flannel and suspenders for formal night.

Our last Alaska cruise was in September and I was cold everyday. I had been told the weather would be nice and that a thin rain jacket would be sufficient. I was wrong! This AZ girl had to buy a hoodie the first night we were onboard to layer with. All my sovereigns consisted of gloves from one port, a scarf from another, etc. My biggest issue was my feet. I had packed tennis shoes for all my excursions and as soon as the rain fell, my feet were wet and COLD!! By my third port, I was putting trash bags over my socks before putting on my shoes. Not comfortable, but necessary. This time (May 2015), I've bought myself some warm waterproof shoes. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We went last early September, round trip from Seattle.

Formal nights-

I wore black slacks and a jazzy long sleeve shirt with a little bling. Like a scarf or something warmish. I'm always cold.

Hubby doesn't like to get dressed up but her wore his Duluth Trading jacket with a button down shirt and tie with a new pair of dress jeans. He seemed to fit in. There were still those who wore tuxes and sport coats and there were some who didn't wear a jacket. I think it's whatever you feel comfortable wearing!

Clothing for the rest of the trip-

I packed a pair of shorts and never wore them. I was in long sleeves all the time or more. Jeans during the day with tennis shoes. In Skagway, we rode bikes down the mountain and I could have kicked myself for not wearing my boots that I brought along and left in the room! Be sure to have a hat and gloves. I had a hoodie, a light weight winter jacket, and an LL Bean rain jacket. I wore the rain jacket over the hoodie most days.

Hubby had jeans, boots, tennis shoes, and long sleeve shirts as well. A winter jacket, hat, gloves, and sweatshirts.

The good thing is that at all the shops in all the ports, all the items will be 50% off at that time! Bag thing is you might not find exactly what you want but you will find warm if you think you haven't packed enough warm things.

I think we really used warm things on port days and the inside passage day. We were lucky to only have rain on one day, the day we rode the bikes.

The first time we toured Alaska, we did a week on land then cruise in July. Never had rain the full two weeks but I never wore shorts then either.

We had friends who also traveled one summer on the Alaskan cruise and they melted as it was in the high 80's the full trip and they brought warm clothes for the cold Alaskan weather. (They live in Florida!) So pack mostly for the salon, but some for the 'what ifs!'

Whatever, enjoy! It is wonderful!

Check the weather the week before you go. Snow? Sun? Could be anything. Be prepared for anything but knowing what is predicted helps.

Won't be perfect but it will give you a good idea. As far as dressy dinners-jacket for men with collared shirts with non-Jean pants will do, for women slacks and nice top will be fine. You can go dressier if you want but not necessary. Alaska is not dressy.

Hubby doesn't like to get dressed up but her wore his Duluth Trading jacket with a button down shirt and tie with a new pair of dress jeans. He seemed to fit in. There were still those who wore tuxes and sport coats and there were some who didn't wear a jacket. I think it's whatever you feel comfortable wearing

In theory, the dress code is pretty plain - no jeans on formal night, for instance - and not "whatever you feel comfortable wearing." In practice, it's increasingly "whatever you can get away with."

Since FloridaGators asked, on my last Alaska cruise's formal nights, I wore a rose-gold velvet dinner jacket, black vest, and tux shirt with a Mandarin collar; I (immodestly) thought I looked pretty spiffy. On the following Canal cruise, I was seated across from two gentlemen wearing truly garish cheapo-looking Hawaiian shirts; I thought they looked pretty dreadful. But then, I prefer not to attend formal night looking like the headwaiter's gardener.

814123028_shepponformalnight.jpg.9a054abc8b86af0467d5fc68725e44ac.jpg

Edited by shepp

thanks ....especially for mentioning a waterproof rain gear. By more casual...what do you mean....especially men...are dockers and a long sleeve shirt OK for men? And are dressy jeans OK for women?

These are fine for Smart Casual nights. You'll want something a bit dressier for Formal nights.

I have been on 3 AK cruises. My husband wore a tux on one and suits (yes, with neckties) on the other two. I wore some version of a very dressy cocktail dress for each formal night. We did not stand out. Most people in the MDRs spiff up a bit. It increases the elegance of the evening, and I am grateful to every MDR diner who takes the time to dress up on formal nights.

Thanks to all for your responses. No way will I get my husband in a tie or jacket, much less a Tux. When he retired he swore the only time he would wear a tie/suit etc was at a funeral. Looks like we will not be doing any formal nights in the main dining room. I am OK with that. As long as he is happy. I am not fussy where I eat. Now that I have that settled what about the specialty restaurants? Especially the grill....will dark pants, collared shirt and/or nice cashmere sweater be OK?

Thanks to all for your responses. No way will I get my husband in a tie or jacket, much less a Tux. When he retired he swore the only time he would wear a tie/suit etc was at a funeral. Looks like we will not be doing any formal nights in the main dining room. I am OK with that. As long as he is happy. I am not fussy where I eat. Now that I have that settled what about the specialty restaurants? Especially the grill....will dark pants, collared shirt and/or nice cashmere sweater be OK?

if you want to eat in the main dining room for formal night, don't skip it just because you're husband isn't in a suit or tux. we didn't pack those for my husband. i packed cocktail dresses and only wore one. i wore black pants & nice shirts the rest of the nights while my husband wore khakis and a shirt. the couple that sat next to us wore jeans the entire week. i feel like the entire cruise was much more casual than expected.

We took the last cruise of the season which was the last weeks of September. It drizzled in every port. Nothing serious. The weather was from the high 40's to the high 50's. We did run into snow on the train in Skagway. They had to send up the train to bring back people who got stuck in buses on the top of the pass. Anyway that is what I was told by people on the bus that got stuck.

The real surprise on that late cruise was the shopping and I hate shopping. But the shops close and move to the warmer winter ports. So they put everything on sale - very deep discounts.

Also we were not able to cruise Traci arm due to a huge storm that we outran.

if you want to eat in the main dining room for formal night, don't skip it just because you're husband isn't in a suit or tux. we didn't pack those for my husband. i packed cocktail dresses and only wore one. i wore black pants & nice shirts the rest of the nights while my husband wore khakis and a shirt. the couple that sat next to us wore jeans the entire week. i feel like the entire cruise was much more casual than expected.

Thanks for your response. That is encouraging. He looks very nice in dark trousers, a crisp white long sleeve shirt and a baby blue cardigan. So we might just give it a try. :p I might sneak a tie in and see if he will wear it, but it's doubtful.