NCL newbie. Dining questions

Wayfairers

I know that NCL is freestyle dining. My understanding is there are several restaurant options, one of which is a buffet, and you always dress as you wish with no specific formal nights or dining times. Please let me know if this is incorrect. My questions... Is there a MDR? Do you need to make reservations at the various restaurants? Is each restaurant cuisine specific? Are there also speciality restaurants that you have to pay extra for? Are there sit down options to the buffet for breakfast and lunch?

I know that NCL is freestyle dining. My understanding is there are several restaurant options, one of which is a buffet, and you always dress as you wish with no specific formal nights or dining times. Please let me know if this is incorrect. My questions... Is there a MDR? Do you need to make reservations at the various restaurants? Is each restaurant cuisine specific? Are there also speciality restaurants that you have to pay extra for? Are there sit down options to the buffet for breakfast and lunch?

I highly suggest you check out Freestyle Dining on NCL.com. This information is readily available. Also check out the Freestyle Dining Guide to see what options are available for each ship along with prices, if applicable.

I know that NCL is freestyle dining. My understanding is there are several restaurant options, one of which is a buffet, and you always dress as you wish with no specific formal nights or dining times. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

You are basically correct. It's pretty much like going to a land-based restaurant; you show up when you want and they seat you if they can, or give you a beeper and tell you to wait. The buffet does not have a wait but if it is very busy, you may not be able to find a seat.

Is there a MDR?

Yes. On most ships there are two. They usually serve the same menu but have different ambiance.

Do you need to make reservations at the various restaurants?

For some specialty restaurants (or if you have a special dining package), yes. Mostly no.

Is each restaurant cuisine specific? Are there also speciality restaurants that you have to pay extra for?

The specialty restaurants are the only ones that are a particular cuisine, though O'Sheehans (a complimentary restaurant) is "pub food". If you log in to MyNCL, it will show you all your dining options and what the costs (if any) are. Some, like the sushi place if your ship has one, are "a la carte" which means you pay for what you order.

You will definitely need to make a reservation for any specialty that includes a show, like La Cirque or the Illusionarium, or for any Teppanyaki place (which is kind of a show too, now that I think of it). Others may vary by the time or ship. I made a reservation an hour before I've wanted to show up once.

Are there sit down options to the buffet for breakfast and lunch?

Yes, but they have limited hours. There is always one MDR open for breakfast, but there may not be an MDR open for lunch on port days. You'll get a newsletter (the Freestyle Daily) that will tell you the venues and hours available. You can ALWAYS get room service.

There is the buffet and depending on the ship usually 2 dining rooms - 1 allows shorts the other does not but both allow jeans and casual. Also depending on the ships you can sometimes make reservations but it really depends on the time you go and size of your party if you need them or not. Both dining rooms have same menu but the always side has 1 or 2 items different. There are many specialty restaurants with different cuisine and I suggest reservations ahead of time if you want a specific time or large group, some book fast, some don't. I believe there is aways a dining room open for breakfast and lunch but I have never used it except breakfast the last day. Hope this helps

Have cruises several times NCL, love the flexibility of freestyle but if u want a set dining experience with same waiter etc you can book an early dinner, 5-530ish and have the same server. Lots of options for complimentary meals, and great specialty's as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2015 Epic

2014 Breakaway

2013 Epic

2012 Gem

2011 Gem

2008 Explorer of the Seas

NCL also has plenty of tables for two if you are a couple; in the aft main dining room these are often arranged by the windows. Our favorite place to eat in the MDR is at the aft windows. It makes the MDR almost seem like a good, intimate restaurant on shore. You don't have to sit with strangers.

When we were on the Dawn last October we ate at the Venetian (one of the MDR's) every morning. Breakfast menu stayed pretty much the same throughout the week. Except for on embarkation day we did not eat lunch at the MDR.

In the evenings we often had to wait for a table (there were 4 of us) at the MDR especially if we went around 7pm - but they give you a beeper and a complimentary glass of bubbly! The wait was often different at both MDR - we preferred the Venetian. Longest wait time was ~40 min. We ate at one of the MDR's every evening. Very happy with the food:)

I think your questions have mostly been answered.

We were on the NCL Jade recently. Here are some food-related videos.

They put up these screens all over the ship so you know which restaurants are available. Never had a problem eating where we wanted to eat. However, note that the most popular restaurant was Teppanyaki, I think because the capacity was small. If you want to try that, you should book early.

[YOUTUBE]4L3l1rfAnTE[/YOUTUBE]

Our experience in the Main Dining Room. The NCL Jade had 2 restaurants serving the same MDR food.

[YOUTUBE]xOimIZW3xEw[/YOUTUBE]

We found the buffet food to be very good too. This shows you a typical dinner buffet.

[YOUTUBE]ic9vxaMs48M[/YOUTUBE]

There were quite a number of speciality restaurants. We had Cagney's everyday for breakfast and usually for lunch as part of the suite perk. We tried Jasmine Garden (Asian food) once, but found it lacklustre. Not recommended.

[YOUTUBE]zl4tt5jpWVs[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

On another cruise line my wife and I enjoyed breakfast in the MDR, it's been several years and I don't remember, can you wear shorts & t-shirts that you might wear on a tour. I understand no bathing suits & etc., however sure hate to dress twice for breakfast.

RedRover96

Sun 3/29/15

Are there sit down options to the buffet for breakfast and lunch?

Yes, but they have limited hours. There is always one MDR open for breakfast, but there may not be an MDR open for lunch on port days. You'll get a newsletter (the Freestyle Daily) that will tell you the venues and hours available. You can ALWAYS get room service.

There is also the 24 hour cafe option which I believe is O'Sheehans on some ships and Blue Lagoon on others for sit down breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is until 11am I believe.

Thanks, kind of figured that, maybe we will also try some of the other sit down, non buffet options. We really enjoy breakfast even to the point we are deciding how many excursions to book, makes the mornings very hectic. I guess one of these days well have to try a cross Atlantic re-positioning cruises where every day is a "sea day" :)

I appreciate all the replies as my family and I will also be cruising for the first time on NCL after 5 cruises with Royal Caribbean. We liked the formality of the designated dinner time with the same waiter and table mates. It was fun to get to know them over the course of the week. But since this is a mediterranean cruise, I think the freestyle dining will work better with our port intensive itinerary.

You are right, but I was hoping to get info from those who have actual experienced a NCL cruise

Besides the included buffet every NCL ship also has two included MDR's as well as several for a fee specialty restaurants.

There is also usually a free 24 hour eating place plus an included outdoor hamburger area during lunch and dinner dining times.

I appreciate all the replies as my family and I will also be cruising for the first time on NCL after 5 cruises with Royal Caribbean. We liked the formality of the designated dinner time with the same waiter and table mates. It was fun to get to know them over the course of the week. But since this is a mediterranean cruise, I think the freestyle dining will work better with our port intensive itinerary.

We took that cruise before...very port intensive with lots of early mornings..the room service breakfast was a life saver at least 2 times...the other days ate breakfast in the buffet except for last day we ate in O'sheehans. Only ate in a specialty restaurant once-LaCucina. The food in the MDR was varied and good. Try the specialty of the day, this was often my choice and was usually very good. Have a great time, that is an unforgettable itinerary.