How Far In Advance Do You Tell Your Kids?

LuCruise

Every year I take my DD's now 17 and 14 on a surprise vacation, destination unknown. I used to have them packed and did not tell them until the morning of departure. Now I tell them a few weeks out when we will be leaving. I enjoy the excitement they have trying to figure out where we are going. This will be there first cruise for my daughters graduation present. I am really having a hard time keeping this secret. Mostly because I know how badly they have wanted to try a cruise. It's a tradition now for us, but this cruise countdown has been long! Still 187 days away!

Every year I take my DD's now 17 and 14 on a surprise vacation, destination unknown. I used to have them packed and did not tell them until the morning of departure. Now I tell them a few weeks out when we will be leaving. I enjoy the excitement they have trying to figure out where we are going. This will be there first cruise for my daughters graduation present. I am really having a hard time keeping this secret. Mostly because I know how badly they have wanted to try a cruise. It's a tradition now for us, but this cruise countdown has been long! Still 187 days away!

That's so sweet. My first cruise was with my dad on Grandeur of the Seas...also for my graduation (university in my case). It's a special gift she'll never forget. Enjoy, and good luck keeping the secret.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking....tell them at Christmas time for April cruise (but that means keeping it for the next 11 months). I agree that the excitment of knowing its coming is great.

Your kids must have been excited when you told them yesterday. Only a few months now for you.

My kids were very excited. It is actually the grandparents who are taking all of us...but I have been helping in the planning so I have had to keep it a secret for a while. They told all their friends and their classmates. They are asking to see videos and photos of the ship. This is not their first cruise, it will be their third , but the last was in August of 2012, on a different ship with new itinerary.

Cruising Celebrity since 1993, with some other lines in the mix like NCL and Princess.

We have packed up a box with clues and they figure it out as they open it. I have had friends do scavenger hunts to tell them. You can make it fun.

As far as planning....my kids like to look at videos of the ship, photos of things, maybe let them have some say in excursions. But mostly in packing and things they want or need to bring. How much say I would imagine is age dependent. I'm sure a 14 year old will want more say than say a 5 year old.

Cruising Celebrity since 1993, with some other lines in the mix like NCL and Princess.

We have packed up a box with clues and they figure it out as they open it. I have had friends do scavenger hunts to tell them. You can make it fun.

As far as planning....my kids like to look at videos of the ship, photos of things, maybe let them have some say in excursions. But mostly in packing and things they want or need to bring. How much say I would imagine is age dependent. I'm sure a 14 year old will want more say than say a 5 year old.

So fun with a scavenger hunt!

When we tell them, we'll definitely show them pictures and videos...especially all the things for kids. I think our excursions will be simple (or just go to the beach) since our kids are still young.

So fun with a scavenger hunt!

When we tell them, we'll definitely show them pictures and videos...especially all the things for kids. I think our excursions will be simple (or just go to the beach) since our kids are still young.

We have taken our kids on over 10 cruises and only once did we surprise them...and it was awesome! Thet were 12 and 15 at the time. They knew we were going to Florida...but nothing else. (It's difficult to keep an entire trip secret from the kids- as there are so many things to do to prepare. Plus, I didn't want the kids making plans with sports, friends, etc). We flew to Florida, rented a car, and spent a few days on the Gulf Coast. One morning, we told them that we were heading to a different location for the rest of the vacation. In the hotel that night, we gave them a wrapped gift (it was Christmastime). They opened it to reveal a tee-shirt screen printed with the name of the cruise ship, destination, and date. We embarked the next morning. It was really fun to see the surprise and excitement on their faces!

We have taken our kids on over 10 cruises and only once did we surprise them...and it was awesome! Thet were 12 and 15 at the time. They knew we were going to Florida...but nothing else. (It's difficult to keep an entire trip secret from the kids- as there are so many things to do to prepare. Plus, I didn't want the kids making plans with sports, friends, etc). We flew to Florida, rented a car, and spent a few days on the Gulf Coast. One morning, we told them that we were heading to a different location for the rest of the vacation. In the hotel that night, we gave them a wrapped gift (it was Christmastime). They opened it to reveal a tee-shirt screen printed with the name of the cruise ship, destination, and date. We embarked the next morning. It was really fun to see the surprise and excitement on their faces!

Wow, that must have been amazing. I could never do that as I'm not very good at keeping a straight face. For our last vacation (to Disney World), DH wanted to tell them on the way to the airport. But I wanted them to know so they'd could look forward to it. But awesome with the tshirt gift. I'm sure you'll never forget their faces.

Were a cruising family.

We just barely get back from one cruise when we are already planning for the next.

In fact last summer we did a first a booked our upcoimng Oasis cruise before the Allure even left port in FLL.

Gives all of us something to look forward too.

Safe travels.

We tell them right away. Their excitement might wane, but it does give them time to get used to the idea of being on a BIG boat in the middle of the ocean. Show them the stuff they'll be doing and I'm sure video games will sweeten the deal. Good Luck and Happy Sailing!! :D

Edited by szubieta

We started counting down when we had 67 days to go and When I tell the older kids how many days we have to go they are like "ok" and thats it but my 8 yr old gets super excited. We have a calender that we check off every day and I have "count down " on my desk top that tells days, hours, and minutes and I show her everyday and she squeals with excitement each time! Counting down is part of the fun!! And we only have 33 days to go!!

We started counting down when we had 67 days to go and When I tell the older kids how many days we have to go they are like "ok" and thats it but my 8 yr old gets super excited. We have a calender that we check off every day and I have "count down " on my desk top that tells days, hours, and minutes and I show her everyday and she squeals with excitement each time! Counting down is part of the fun!! And we only have 33 days to go!!

We did the same when we told our kids about our Disney trip last year (about 6 weeks beforehand). My older one understands time, but this was still a hard concept for my little one to grasp, so we gave her a calendar of her own. Each night before bed, she diligently crossed off the day and she would see how many days until our trip. She actually continues to use a calendar (got her a Frozen one for 2015) and each night she crosses off the day. Whatever events, birthdays we have going on, we write it down. It's fun for her and helps her understand days and months. We definitely will continue once we tell them about our trip (but we'll have to get a 2016 by then ;) )

Edited by LuCruise

I have a 3 year old that just goes with the flow. But my 14 year old is another story. We usually go to Great Wolf Lodge for his birthday and he talks about it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for MONTHS before we go...and that's only one night.

We booked a 7 night Mexican Riviera for November 2015. His birthday is at the end of October...so instead of Great Wolf, we plan to give him a box with swim trunks and a few other necessities. Then I'll cross my fingers that I can handle the excitement and questions for a few days before we leave.

Although I have contemplated just telling him we are flying to LA and surprise him from there but if I did that he would think we are going to Disneyland.

• 2 weeks later...

This is our DS's first cruise. He's 5, and we've been waiting for this day since.. well, the day we had him. I'm not sure who's more excited, me or DH! We couldn't decide whether to tell DS or not, and we have decided to wait. We booked with only 45 days till we sail, so I'm not having to sit on it for too long. We always watch the cruise webcams on Sundays, and travel down to Port Canaveral a few times each year to watch the ships sail from Fishlips, so we have the opportunity to feel DS out, seeing what he's excited about, nervous about, answer questions, etc. We will definitely be getting his input in the future, and I will be so excited about creative ways to surprise him, as the planning and anticipation has always been one of my favorite things about cruising! :)

This is our DS's first cruise. He's 5, and we've been waiting for this day since.. well, the day we had him. I'm not sure who's more excited, me or DH! We couldn't decide whether to tell DS or not, and we have decided to wait. We booked with only 45 days till we sail, so I'm not having to sit on it for too long. We always watch the cruise webcams on Sundays, and travel down to Port Canaveral a few times each year to watch the ships sail from Fishlips, so we have the opportunity to feel DS out, seeing what he's excited about, nervous about, answer questions, etc. We will definitely be getting his input in the future, and I will be so excited about creative ways to surprise him, as the planning and anticipation has always been one of my favorite things about cruising! :)

Let's hope he doesn't feel the same way!

That is soooo sweet. I feel your excitement and know what you mean about the anticipation and planning. At least you don't have too long to wait. Have an awesome cruise, and report back his reaction.

That is soooo sweet. I feel your excitement and know what you mean about the anticipation and planning. At least you don't have too long to wait. Have an awesome cruise, and report back his reaction.

Aww thanks! I will absolutely report back! We are driving down to Miami the day of the cruise (about a 7 hour drive for us), and hoping he sleeps a good portion of the first half. If that's the case, we're hoping he wakes up and thinks we're going to watch the ships at Port Canaveral, since he's used to making that trip every now and then. We're leaving our driveway around 2 or 3 AM, saving room for traffic, pit stops, random police chases, etc. :D

I am terrible at keeping things like this a secret, so I usually tell our son pretty early, though not always intentionally. Our next cruise isn't until New Years and we had decided not to tell him for awhile since it's so far off. But, Grandma & Grandpa started talking about wanting to come along (and they're coming, yay!) and I mentioned something about it within earshot of him, and whoops, cat's out of the bag. Heh.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update! We cruised last week and it was an awesome experience! We told our 5 y/o DS when we arrived at the Port of Miami after an approximately 9 hour driving trip! We got him up at 3:30 AM, put him in the car, he slept for about 2 hours, and then was wide awake the rest of the trip. He made a few guesses about where we might be going (camping or to eat at Fishlips), but otherwise was very patient and relaxed. As we pulled up at the port and the porters began to get our luggage, we told him that we were going to be boarding the Sky. He was so excited that he began shaking! He said he had dreamed of this his entire life. lol It was an AWESOME trip, and he's ready to go again. :)

"Pack your bags... We leave tonight!"

No pressures about a countdown. No worries of the kids advertising the home is vacant and ready for burgularies. You can tell them about the mouse after they get off the plane.

We tried that. my 3 year old didn't adjust and it was her 3rd cruise! She kept asking why we weren't in NO and that she wanted to be in NO.

We told her going to NO after gymnastics, then once there, the ship was parked behind the river walk, we asked if she wanted to get on. :eek:

I don't remember the time for our first, but dd was little, our second we booked a year in advance, so it was always known.

This time, dh and I are talking about it, kid hasn't asked yet, but if we book, I'll just add it to the calendar and order of events (daddy's bday, mommy's, yours, halloween, thanksgiving, cruise, christmas)

I'm glad your ds handled the suprise well and had a great time!!

We always told our kids right away, even when they were younger. That is part of the fun and excitement of the trip. Dd was in 4 th grade and ds was in 2 nd grade when they went on their first cruise. We took the opportunity of the extended time to talk to them about how they would b expected to behave, the rules while we were on vacation and we " practiced" at meal time for the dining room. They knew if they didn't follow the rules my dh would never take them again! I say tell them now!

Taking our granddaughters turning 8 day before cruise and the other turning 3 on the cruise. We leave this Sunday & they don't know yet. Their birthday party is Saturday & I got them both kids roller luggage & will fill with outfits I bought them. Plan is to wake them up Sunday morning & load them in the car. 3 year old will just go with flow. 8 year old will keep guessing but just going to say we're going on a trip and can't wait to see her face when she sees the ship.