first time on Princess

Cruise Arizona

If you want to find out more about the wine cruise, you can do a quick web search, be sure to include the ship and the sail date and winemaker.

Thanks...I looked on the Celebrity site for your cruise but didn't see anything about it being a winemakers cruise. I've read posts about Celebrity having winemaker cruises (also in Europe?) and will have to do my research on this option for a future cruise.

No matter what line I've been on or how much I enjoy myself there is always someone making a negative comparison to their favorite cruise line, when they really should be just enjoying the wonderful cruise that they are on.

Too much "whine"? It amazes me, people who complain. No matter how bad a situation on a cruise is, it's still on a cruise. Having said that I've never had the noro!

I drink the Pope wine when I cruise because the price seems comparable to on-shore prices. The Cali-wines can be double. I brought wine once and wound up giving it away. I prefer wine at Vines than at dinner though. Vines also offers flights so you can taste similar wines for comparison.

Once on-board, I'd go straight to Vines and ask them what their favorite wine is. I once had someone tell me they didn't like wine. I spent very little time there that cruise! Last cruise the 2 working there suggested their favorites BUT recommended something else to try based on what they saw me drinking. They were very attentive - kudos to them.

I prefer the Stammtisch tastings to the tasting in the main dining room. It's smaller and more personal. If they offer that, which on a 15 day they probably will 5 or more times, it will be at the large table in Vines.

Edited by 2BeOnaBoat

I just talked with a frequent HAL cruiser who didn't like that Celebrity (who I have cruised the most) has the 15% added, but still gives you a slip with the option to add more tip. Just curious if Princess does this. I actually like the option to add more tip, because if I have a bar waiter who has taken especially good care of me for a couple nights in a row, I like to add an occasional additional tip.

Will I be able to do this on Princess, or have to request a slip to add tip.

I just talked with a frequent HAL cruiser who didn't like that Celebrity (who I have cruised the most) has the 15% added, but still gives you a slip with the option to add more tip. Just curious if Princess does this. I actually like the option to add more tip, because if I have a bar waiter who has taken especially good care of me for a couple nights in a row, I like to add an occasional additional tip.

Will I be able to do this on Princess, or have to request a slip to add tip.

I don't know if there's a place to add an additional tip beyond 15% but I rarely go to a bar because our alcoholic drinks are either wine or beer.

One thing I've learned on Princess is that as long as you keep the auto tip in place, then any cash you give to a crewmember they get to keep. Also when we go to a specialty restaurant or have room service deliver food, we do not add a tip in the space provider. Instead we give them cash because when a tip is added to the bill your tip goes into the tip pool & is shared by everyone.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I rarely drink either, but I do believe that you can add an additional tip (or give cash in addition to the amount on the receipt). I'm sure someone knowledgeable can say yea or nay about that.

Bartenders aren't considered part of the auto-tip pool so I don't think whether you keep on the auto grats or not have any bearing on the bartender. (of course, it's good to keep on the auto grats -- they'll be automatically added to your folio as a hotel charge nightly)

Bartenders aren't considered part of the auto-tip pool so I don't think whether you keep on the auto grats or not have any bearing on the bartender. (of course' date=' it's good to keep on the auto grats -- they'll be automatically added to your folio as a hotel charge nightly)[/quote']

Thanks for confirming that difference...I seem to recall reading that somewhere but wasn't certain.

We've been doing auto gratuity for about 10 years now and love it.

Can you go to the guest relations desk and add an additional tip and earmark it for a particular person. I did this one for our Maitre'de when he really went out of his way to do some special appetizers and desserts for our table. Or should I bring cash for any additional tipping?

Can you go to the guest relations desk and add an additional tip and earmark it for a particular person. I did this one for our Maitre'de when he really went out of his way to do some special appetizers and desserts for our table. Or should I bring cash for any additional tipping?

We always tip extra in cash to the person directly. ;)

That way I know they got it.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm not sure about that. You can get envelopes from the passenger services desk,write your name and cabin number on it, and hand directly to the crew member. There's also the "Consummate Host" cards (used to be "Made a Difference" cards) that you can fill out if you have at least a first name, position, work location.

But if someone works in a main dining room and you don't see them near the end of the cruise, I suppose you can leave an envelope with one of the employees there with your name and the name of the maitre'd, head waiter, or waiter on it.

I do the same thing as 'Colo Cruiser' & 'Cruisin' Chick for extra tips.

My experience is they ask for your name & cabin # so it can be verified that we have auto tip. That's why I get an envelope from the PSD, put our info on it and then give it to the deserving crewmember. In addition I'll get their name if I want to commend them in my online post-cruise survey everyone receives...apparently such commendations are very helpful to them. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi All

Crew that get a number of commendations from passengers will often get rewarded by Princess with extra time off, while only a few hours means a lot to those with such little free time, a special reward would be to be sent on a tour.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

My husband and I put together a spread sheet last night and weighed all of our options and looked at the wine list ect.

After comparing the cost of the Beverage Package Vs Wine package Vs bringing 15 bottles on board and paying corkage we came to an interesting conclusion.

We are going with the Gold Wine package because it allows us to drink 12 bottles of better wine for less then the bev package for 15 day, and still leaves budget for an occasional glass of wine with lunch or a drink by the pool or after dinner.

Do we purchase the Gold wine package on board or online before we leave?

My husband and I put together a spread sheet last night and weighed all of our options and looked at the wine list ect.

After comparing the cost of the Beverage Package Vs Wine package Vs bringing 15 bottles on board and paying corkage we came to an interesting conclusion.

We are going with the Gold Wine package because it allows us to drink 12 bottles of better wine for less then the bev package for 15 day, and still leaves budget for an occasional glass of wine with lunch or a drink by the pool or after dinner.

Do we purchase the Gold wine package on board or online before we leave?

The wine package is only purchased on the ship & we get it from our dining room waiter. I'm not positive however it seems that there's some benefit to them & particularly with traditional dining that's the person who gets our wine. Another location I've seen the wine package being sold is the area just outside of the buffet near the aft Lido deck elevator/stairs.

Don't lose the card & I would suggest periodically checking your onboard account to ensure there isn't an accounting error. I never had a problem however a few have posted finding mistakes.

We enjoyed the 12 bottle Gold wine package & a couple of times paid an extra couple of dollars (no tip on that extra amount) to try a bottle over $45.

Edited by Astro Flyer