first time on Princess

Cruise Arizona

We just booked our first Princess, Grand Princess 15 day Hawaii. So excited

Can anyone tell me about the wine list and wine service on board. We love wine. I know that they have one sommelier on board and wondering how accessible he or she is and if they have a cocktail waiter for wine service or if the dinner waiter handles it.

Anything else that you love about Princess that I should definitely try to do?

We just booked our first Princess, Grand Princess 15 day Hawaii. So excited

Can anyone tell me about the wine list and wine service on board. We love wine. I know that they have one sommelier on board and wondering how accessible he or she is and if they have a cocktail waiter for wine service or if the dinner waiter handles it.

Anything else that you love about Princess that I should definitely try to do?

*Wine service in the DR is generally handled by the Ass't waiter. If you don't finish a bottle at a meal the waiter will mark it and store it.

*Each adult passenger is permitted to carry on at boarding 1 750ml bottle of wine/champagne free of charge for use in the cabin. Additional bottles can be brought on board and are subject to a $15 corkage charge which is charged to your on board account. Corkage paid bottles are marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. No beer or spirits allowed to be brought on board.

*Vines on Deck 5 is a wine bar with all kinds of wines by the glass. You can get a plate of sushi or tapas are free with the purchase of any drink at vines.

When you board go directly to your cabin it will be ready, no cabin call.

Edited by sknight

sknight, thank you so much for your kind reply.

I'm wondering what the wine list is like. I may do a search and look at the prices and selection. Since we are not flying and it is a 15 day cruise, I might consider going to BevMo and selecting some 10-15 wines. I remember seeing another cruise line's wine list that had Barefoot wine for $30 a bottle, which is actually a normal restaurant mark-up, but I can find a few bottles in the $10 -15 range that would only be $25-30 with corkage, that might be a good idea.

Off to look for the wine list now. :)

Hi

Grand has a very small wine bar Vines onboard because of a very good pizzeria

next door to it, however you will have chance to take part in wine tastings.

Grand did not do tapas or sushi last time I was onboard,

Staff at vines will talk to you for hours about wines,

Enjoy your cruise

yours Shogun

I found the wine list posted here from 2013, but assuming that it is similar. There are some interesting Italian wines on there, though the American reds are not that interesting. Sounds like Vines might be our hang out.

Maybe we'll just get a few extra bottles to bring on board.

I think the Princess wine prices are reasonable and the time we sailed on RCI we had to get their wine package to lower the prices to the per bottle price on Princes without a wine package. If you're near a Total Wine their prices & selection have been better than at BevMo where things need to be on sale to be close to the regular Total Wine price.

On cruises of 10+ days Princess offers wine packages & here's a link to that info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44386439&postcount=4 It can only be purchased on board and I purchase it from our waiter. The package's aviability is subject to having sufficient inventory which on recent cruises has not been a problem.

If you're an honorably discharged military veteran who has served a minimum of two years or six months in an active combat zone Princess has a great military onboard credit program which for your cruise would be $250 per eligible veteran and is combinable with any other type of OBC: http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.VL1LG0Y777o

Princess no longer has a sommelier available & those duties now seem to be handled by headwaiters who narrate the $9.50 Princess Grapevine wine tasting. There is also a Maître d' Wine Club tasting which cost $25 with more expensive wines and hors d'oeuvres.

Edited by Astro Flyer

By all means bring additional wines onboard if you can. Even with the $15 corkage fee, they won't be more expensive than Princess' prices for equivalent wines, and that will enable you to keep the wine in your cabin for before dinner tippling and still take the rest of the bottle to the MDR for dinner with no additional charge.

thank you so much Astro Flyer, we are not veterans, but the link to the wine information is perfect.

I am thinking that we will do a combination of the wine package and bringing some from here in CA.

I may go to either BevMo or Total Wine. We usually do BevMo because they are right here in Simi Valley, but the one here is a smaller store and doesn't always have the wines for which I am looking. I asked about Amarone a couple of times and they told me the the Thousand Oaks store had it. I went back a few weeks later and they had one, maybe because I had asked about it?

For the wines for which I will be paying corkage, when and where do I do that? It would be better to do it before the I get to security. That way I avoid that awkwardness of "oh were you trying to sneak this on?" Where do they do that in San Pedro?

Thank you everyone for so kindly helping me prepare for this first cruise one Princess. I kind of want to understand the line as much as possible before I go on it. You can see from signature, with the exception of ancient cruises, I have done mostly Celebrity, I want to make sure that I don't let the difference distract me from all the positives that Princess has to offer.

It is so annoying when I'm on a cruise and hear "Oh, ABC cruise line was so much better than this one because they do XY&Z." or "am having a horrible time on this cruise because the state room attendant didn't make an origami flower on the end of my toilet paper roll like they did on ABC line."

No matter what line I've been on or how much I enjoy myself there is always someone making a negative comparison to their favorite cruise line, when they really should be just enjoying the wonderful cruise that they are on.

Edited by Cruise Arizona

Hi Suzanne,

We also cruise on Celebrity. However in the last 2 months I have been on Princess twice and go again next Monday. Love being able to drive to the port and Celebrity have forgot about us on the West Coast. I have found that the wine list is not as good as Celebrity. I would go to Bev Mo or Total Wine and find some mid range wines. Paying corkage will still be better than paying more for mediocre wines on board. Heather

Thanks Maggie and Rick,

I have found our roll call, lots of nice folks there too. We leave Feb 17th, so soon. I have posted some specifics on there, and the general stuff on this thread.

Maggie, does Princess have veritel specific wine glasses, or just all purpose ones?

thank you so much Astro Flyer, we are not veterans, but the link to the wine information is perfect.

I am thinking that we will do a combination of the wine package and bringing some from here in CA.

I may go to either BevMo or Total Wine. We usually do BevMo because they are right here in Simi Valley, but the one here is a smaller store and doesn't always have the wines for which I am looking. I asked about Amarone a couple of times and they told me the the Thousand Oaks store had it. I went back a few weeks later and they had one, maybe because I had asked about it?

For the wines for which I will be paying corkage, when and where do I do that? It would be better to do it before the I get to security. That way I avoid that awkwardness of "oh were you trying to sneak this on?" Where do they do that in San Pedro?

Thank you everyone for so kindly helping me prepare for this first cruise one Princess. I kind of want to understand the line as much as possible before I go on it. You can see from signature, with the exception of ancient cruises, I have done mostly Celebrity, I want to make sure that I don't let the difference distract me from all the positives that Princess has to offer.

It is so annoying when I'm on a cruise and hear "Oh, ABC cruise line was so much better than this one because they do XY&Z." or "am having a horrible time on this cruise because the state room attendant didn't make an origami flower on the end of my toilet paper roll like they did on ABC line."

No matter what line I've been on or how much I enjoy myself there is always someone making a negative comparison to their favorite cruise line, when they really should be just enjoying the wonderful cruise that they are on.

Aloha neighbor...I'm less than 3 miles from the SV BevMo but sometimes go to Total Wine in TO when in that area. I've had good luck going to both stores' websites to check for availability before going to the store.

We really enjoyed the Gold wine package to try different wines valued up to $45 & a few times paid a couple of extra dollars for a more expensive bottle of wine. We discovered some new types of wine which added to our cruise experience.

We boarded the Crown on the 3rd at San Pedro & this was the procedure: After check-in (about 11:00) you go through security & if they see wine will direct you to the wine check-in table before being seated to wait for your group to be called (usually begins about noon). We only had a bottle each so no fees were charged when boarding but would be subject to $15 corkage if brought outside of our cabin including in any dining room. When corkage is charged at boarding it is done at the wine check-in table but we've never had to do it because we haven't exceeded the limit. If you put it in your checked bags then you may have to go to the "naughty room" to show them it isn't booze & wine is subject to paying corkage fees. Cabins are immediately available & we call for anything we want to do that has limited participation. I'd recommend beginning your cruise with a relaxing lunch in the dining room (usually one of the 2 in the atrium & listed in the Patter...noon until 1:30) instead of the busy buffet

If you haven't viewed the info on the Princess Aloha Spirit Program here's a link to that info: http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/cruises/aloha_spirit/ We enjoy the relaxing days at sea & spending time in each port...it's limited time but it's also not wasting a day to island-hop between islands.

I feel like you about cruising...my 1st "cruise" was eating off tin trays on the aircraft carrier USS Midway so how could any cruise be "horrible" or "terrible". :eek: During dozens of cruises, I've only had good & better cruises and don't sweat the small "stuff". And as long as I'm healthy & on a cruise nearly everything that goes wrong is small "stuff"! ;)

Someday we'd like to sail with Celebrity & then I'll have to get your input about it and how it compares to Princess...Buon Viaggio! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Boy, isn't that the truth! I only bring on one bottle of wine, so don't know the drill for the corkage fee, but it's a well established procedure, so you be put in a position to appear to be snaking it on.

Also, sorry to inform you that Princess is not keen on origami TP or towel animals. I hope you still have a great time ;)

I was just looking at Elua's Facebook page to double check this, but it looks like they will be the Hawaiian ambassadors on board the Grand in time for your cruise. Check out the link to the Hawaiian program that Astro Flyer linked to Elua is a musical duo (Leialoha's from the island of Oahu and Dave's from the island of Boston as he likes to say when introducing themselves) and they are not to be missed. Scan your Patters each day to find out where they will be performing -- sometimes in the Piazza, which is the Plaza deck, midships, sometimes by the outdoor pool. Dave also teaches the uke classes and she teaches the hula classes. The last day of the cruise, their "master" passengers will put on a show (you'll definitely will want to keep some aloha wear handy to wear if you take part). They will also have heirloom lei kits and supplies available for sale (along with CDs of their music) near the end of the cruise.

There will also be orchid lei and ribbon lei making classes during the cruise. These are free, but a limited number of tickets will be available at the shore excursion desk. So check out the Patters to see when they become available -- they will go fast.

Also, there is one food venue that's a not-to-be-missed treat. The International Cafe is not an enclosed eatery, but a set of display cases in the Piazza. No extra charge for the food, but you can also buy a specialty coffee at the next counter over. It's open 24/7 and the food changes depending on time of day so different light meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as snacks and desserts. Seriously the best.chocolate.chip.cookies!

As said, you can go straight to your cabin upon boarding. There is a minifridge in each cabin, no matter the category. There's a self-service laundry on most passenger desks on every Princess ship (usually just not on the Lido deck) which is great for a two-week cruise (one member of our family is allergic to regular detergent, so we don't send our clothing to the ship's laundry).

Our last three cruises have been the two-week one to Hawaii out of San Pedro, so it's obvious we like this one.

Boy, isn't that the truth! I only bring on one bottle of wine, so don't know the drill for the corkage fee, but it's a well established procedure, so you be put in a position to appear to be snaking it on.

Also, sorry to inform you that Princess is not keen on origami TP or towel animals. I hope you still have a great time ;)

I will buy this book and teach a class to the staff. Just kidding, I didn't even know there was such a thing and was trying to come up with the most ridiculous thing that someone could possibly complain about. Hope the big picture doesn't mess up the format of page, if so maybe the admin can fix it.

71WP4fV9QNL.jpg

I was just looking at Elua's Facebook page to double check this' date=' but it looks like they will be the Hawaiian ambassadors on board the Grand in time for your cruise. Check out the link to the Hawaiian program that Astro Flyer linked to Elua is a musical duo (Leialoha's from the island of Oahu and Dave's from the island of Boston as he likes to say when introducing themselves) and they are not to be missed. Scan your Patters each day to find out where they will be performing -- sometimes in the Piazza, which is the Plaza deck, midships, sometimes by the outdoor pool. Dave also teaches the uke classes and she teaches the hula classes. The last day of the cruise, their "master" passengers will put on a show (you'll definitely will want to keep some aloha wear handy to wear if you take part). They will also have heirloom lei kits and supplies available for sale (along with CDs of their music) near the end of the cruise.

There will also be orchid lei and ribbon lei making classes during the cruise. These are free, but a limited number of tickets will be available at the shore excursion desk. So check out the Patters to see when they become available -- they will go fast.

Also, there is one food venue that's a not-to-be-missed treat. The International Cafe is not an enclosed eatery, but a set of display cases in the Piazza. No extra charge for the food, but you can also buy a specialty coffee at the next counter over. It's open 24/7 and the food changes depending on time of day so different light meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as snacks and desserts. Seriously the best.chocolate.chip.cookies!

As said, you can go straight to your cabin upon boarding. There is a minifridge in each cabin, no matter the category. There's a self-service laundry on most passenger desks on every Princess ship (usually just not on the Lido deck) which is great for a two-week cruise (one member of our family is allergic to regular detergent, so we don't send our clothing to the ship's laundry).

Our last three cruises have been the two-week one to Hawaii out of San Pedro, so it's obvious we like this one.[/quote']

We are definitely excited to be sailing with Elua. They will take us to the islands during our sea days Very much interested in Hula lessons. We did those and the performance on our Hawaii cruise a few years back. I think I still have the leis I bought in Honolulu, so I'll have to make sure I pack those too. My hawaiian dress is a little tight, so maybe I should just buy a Mumu and call it a day.

We haven't brought more than our allowed two bottles on board at San Pedro since the wine policy enforcement changed a couple of years ago so we haven't had to pay there. On a 10 day cruise on the Grand last March out of San Francisco we drove up and brought 8 bottles from our local Temecula Valley wineries. The arrangement is slightly different but the bottles were flagged when we went through security. We were directed to a table to declare our wine and pay the corkage. Since we already had our cruise cards we were able to pay for the six bottles with the card which allowed us to use On Board Credit to pay for the corkage. They gave us six stickers to place on the bottles of our choice. We drank six of the bottles at dinner but friends traveling with us bought the wine package. We have bought the package in the past and it is a good deal. With the discount, it may even be cheaper than bringing wine on board and paying the corkage. On longer cruises where we don't drive to the port it is the way to go IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Aloha neighbor...I'm less than 3 miles from the SV BevMo but sometimes go to Total Wine in TO when in that area. I've had good luck going to both stores' websites to check for availability before going to the store.

:D

We are neighbors. My husband moved out here with a new job last Nov (2013) and after I my son graduated high school and started at the U of A I was able to move out here in Sept of 2014. Loving Simi Valley. I've joined the chamber of commerce and met a lot of really nice people through business networking. We have jumped into the town spirit with a daughter at Simi, we cheered them to victory over Royal in football, and will be going to the big basket ball game this week. Fun stuff.

You see from signature, my next cruise is a wine maker's cruise on Celebrity Solstice June 19th. This will be my second time to sail with this wine maker and she and I have become good friends, so we are so excited about Alaska in June.

We are neighbors. My husband moved out here with a new job last Nov (2013) and after I my son graduated high school and started at the U of A I was able to move out here in Sept of 2014. Loving Simi Valley. I've joined the chamber of commerce and met a lot of really nice people through business networking. We have jumped into the town spirit with a daughter at Simi, we cheered them to victory over Royal in football, and will be going to the big basket ball game this week. Fun stuff.

You see from signature, my next cruise is a wine maker's cruise on Celebrity Solstice June 19th. This will be my second time to sail with this wine maker and she and I have become good friends, so we are so excited about Alaska in June.

We've been here for many decades & a winemakers cruise sounds like a great idea. :D

I noticed that you sailed Sitmar's Fairsea in 1981...we sailed her sister ship the Fairwind in 1988 just before becoming the old Dawn Princess and to us the Sitmar experience (food & service) was our best cruise ever.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We've been here for many decades & a winemakers cruise sounds like a great idea. :D

I noticed that you sailed Sitmar's Fairsea in 1981...we sailed her sister ship the Fairwind in 1988 just before becoming the old Dawn Princess and to us the Sitmar experience (food & service) was our best cruise ever.

We really enjoyed the Sitmar cruise, we sailed with friends we had met on the Stattendam the year earlier. We had a great time on both cruises, but for me as a teenage I enjoyed the Holland America cruisemore because we had a wonderful group of about 30 young adults from ages 15 to 25 who hung out together.

On the Fairsea, I was a year older but because it was a larger ship with more teens sailing, they had a few events that were 18 an older, and that meant I couldn't hang out with our old friends or even my parents. Not quite as much fun as we had on the Holland ship for that reason, but both offered a wonderful cruise experience. We did something really crazy on that ship. It was one of the young men's birthday, and instead of a birthday party we had a mock wedding. We even had a bride in a gown and we kidnapped the groom after dinner. What really had people fooled was when we had the piano player in the atrium play the Mendelssohn wedding March and had the Catholic Priest on board in on the joke.