Odyssey late into Melbourne yesterday.

SKP946

Odyssey arrived over 7 hours late into Melbourne yesterday from New Zealand. When I checked on the Marine Traffic site early yesterday, they were showing she was only making 1.5 knots out in Bass Strait.

Does anyone know why ?

Odyssey arrived over 7 hours late into Melbourne yesterday from New Zealand. When I checked on the Marine Traffic site early yesterday, they were showing she was only making 1.5 knots out in Bass Strait.

Does anyone know why ?

They had a very rough passage across (too rough to risk a bath or shower for a couple of days). Geelong had to be dropped from their itinerary and all excursions in Melbourne had to be cancelled because of their late arrival. See https://www.********************/450627115013062/?fref=nf

They had a very rough passage across (too rough to risk a bath or shower for a couple of days). Geelong had to be dropped from their itinerary and all excursions in Melbourne had to be cancelled because of their late arrival. See https://www.********************/450627115013062/?fref=nf

Thanks for the info. Laylam and Emperor Norton.

It must have been rough because last month on Quest, crossing the Drake Passage we had up to Force 10, and our only restrictions were no outside decks !

Odyssey left Melbourne at 1.30 Tuesday for Sydney, so I suppose all those Pax who were hoping to see the Tennis were disappointed.

SKP946, I can show you some pics of the Odyssey, if you can give me an email to use.

Thanks BrisbaneGran, but I took about 20 of her sailing down Port Phillip from my place on Tuesday.

Also,we spent 30 days on Sojourn in the Med and 21 on Quest in Antarctica this year, so I have plenty. ( I still prefer the little ships) :)

Thanks BrisbaneGran, but I took about 20 of her sailing down Port Phillip from my place on Tuesday.

Also,we spent 30 days on Sojourn in the Med and 21 on Quest in Antarctica this year, so I have plenty. ( I still prefer the little ships) :)

I didn't actually mean photos of just the ship, but photos of the reason for this thread "Odyssey late into Melbourne". Never mind.

Does anyone know why ?

Much the same last year - on the way to Oban we got nailed with the most awful seas and terrible winds. As the weather was predicted at the time we thought it was somewhat of a poor choice of the captain to attempt it, nobody slept, we spent 12 hours pitching around at 2kts and ended up diving into a bay for shelter overnight. The Oban excursions were done a day late and we didn't get to Milford Sound at all. Our ship did make it to Melbourne late, but still in time for the afternoon excursions to go ahead.

The trip before ours and the one after were, we heard, millpond smooth. I guess you gotta be lucky, I think that cruise gets really rough weather at least once a season.

• 3 weeks later...

We got on the Odyssey in Sydney on Jan. 22, the cruise right after the late one. Captain Dexter said the previous Tasman crossing was "horrible"--pretty strong words for a captain to use. A crew member told us that the captain had called it the worst he had ever seen! But the Tasman was almost like a lake on our crossing. We had no rough seas at any time, though there were a couple of days of bad fog at Oban and Dunedin.

Some shore excursions had to be cancelled in Oban because NZ customs officials couldn't land there to clear the ship. But could not dock in Tauranga because the port was closed due to high winds. (But the sea was still pretty calm.) The moral of the story is that you never know what to expect on that trip!

NZ weather can be very varied and unpredictable. We just got back from a 12-day Auckland to Melbourne trip (Silversea) which went:

Auckland - overcast and a bit rough at night

Tauranga - warm sunshine but rough again

Napier - unable to stop due to high winds/seas

Picton - sunny but windy

Akaroa - sunny and calm

Dunedin - sunny and calm

Stewart Island - cool with showers

Dusky sound - low cloud, fog, almost zero visibility, cold, calm

Milford Sound - brighter but cool

2 day Tasman Sea crossing - unusually calm and light winds. Captain said it was the smoothest crossing he could ever remember. Thank you King Neptune!