Cpap machine and distilled water

TxChick

My wife uses a Neti Pot due to medical reasons and we had distilled water delivered to our cabin on a Celebrity cruise for FREE. Good to know ahead of time that there will be a nominal charge for distilled water on Carnival.

I certainly wouldn't use the ships water. Distilled water is used to reduce mineral and calcium buildup in the CPap machine. If needing the water for a Neti Pot, definitely don't use tap water, ANYWHERE.

The purified ship water from the tap has minerals added to it for taste. $3 for distilled water from room service is easy enough.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

And the urban myth rises again. The only "minerals" added to the water is calcium carbonate (think antacids), which has nothing to do with taste. It is there to neutralize the slight acidity that distilled water exhibits, to protect the piping system from corrosion, and to keep the distilled water from leaching minerals from your body as another poster stated. However, you need to drink a lot of distilled water over a prolonged period for this to happen.

Yes, ship's water comes from 3 sources: shore water, distilled water from the ship's evaporators, and fresh water from the ship's reverse osmosis water makers. The chlorine in the ship's water is removed by carbon filters in the drink stations (and room service) and ice makers.

I'm not surprised that Carnival is charging for distilled water. We at NCL would have the cabin steward bring a jug down to the engine room, and we would fill it directly from the evaporator, for free.

My 2 cents :D

Distilled water is used so that no added chemicals or minerals are inhaled for through the night.

The water does not circulate through the CPAP like motor oil through an engine. Its use is purely to humidify the sometimes dry air produced by the machine.

So if you can stand the small bit of minerals (probably less absorbed through the night than in one dive into the pool), then use the tap water. If it worries you, then ask for distilled!!

But your CPAP machine could care less!!

• 1 month later...
Do not drink distilled water for periods of time. The body requires the minerals in regular water to maintain bone strength. It's a fact.

You are absolutely right and wrong at the same time. Distilled water is not good for drinking but it is good for a CPAP. Put distilled water in your machine and drink regular water. A standard CPAP reservoir will hold eight ounces, or less, of water. Not an amount that will cause you to suffer mineral depletion.

Take care,

Mike

Is a patient required to declare CPAP as special requirement to the cruise line in advance of the sailing? Maybe a potential trip insurance issue too? I have CPAP, and I appreciate the conversation in the thread.

Edited by eponym

My husband uses a CPAP machine and he had always brought along his on distilled water until our last October when we cruised on the Dream. I went ahead and alerted Carnival about his CPAP and ordered distilled water to be waiting in the room.

However, the distilled water was not in the room when we got there and I had to call Guest Services a couple of time before he got it. I thought that would be it, but I think over the week, we got about 10 phone calls asking about his CPAP. I thought it was really weird, but I do know that it was REALLY annoying. So, we will not alert them about his CPAP from now on. We will either take on the water or just order it after we get there.