Urgent Obstructed Grand Question

Cruise Arizona

I am going on Grand in a month and my friend and her husband want to join us. She can only afford obstructed view. I selected E702 for her because it looks like she will be able to see over the shorter life boat rather than no view off taller tender boats. But E710 has no lifeboat but what appears to be more obstructive scaffolding type stuff than the view. Which is better.

E710 is less obstructed because you're looking out through the scaffolding (used by crew to get to the lifeboats.) However, IMHO, it doesn't make any difference. The bed(s) are against the window so the only use for the window is for light and to see whether it's rainy, sunny, etc. No one is going to be sitting looking out the window so how obstructed it is makes little difference. Chances are the privacy curtain will be closed most of the time.

FYI, My sister and I are right across the ship from E702, in E701 and E703. We refused an upsell because we like the location.

If my friend books, it will be her very first cruise and I want to make sure that her cruise is the best experience it could be.

She is worried about engine noise, so I thought this deck was high enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

Hubby and I are on Plaza deck with a full ocean view. He likes the fact that the Vines bar is just down the hall.

Suzanne

I've had cabins in this area before and never found it to be noisy with any engine noise or foot traffic. Interesting that Pam said the beds were up against the window because none of mine ever were and I was on the Grand several times two years ago, in this same area. In any case, you can see out and over the lifeboats to the water and any land nearby but not something worthy spending time at. It's just good to be able to look out to see the weather and to know ahead the weather and how to dress. Pam and her sister's cabins are good locations because of the proximity to the stairs/lifts. Just one quick flight down is the Promenade deck where you friends can be outside and enjoying the fresh air in a flash.

My friend booked and I sent her the picture of the cabin and she was excited. Actually it turns out she has cruised before, way back to the Sitmar Fairsea, and several other Princess, it has just been a really long time since she has cruised. So she has Platinum Benefits. Very excited about the cruise.

Suzanne

Edited by Cruise Arizona

Interesting that Pam said the beds were up against the window because none of mine ever were and I was on the Grand several times two years ago, in this same area.
It's been years since I was on the Grand. If the beds are against the way, I'll be a happy camper. :) My experience on other ships has been that they were against the window but I know that the Grand has some differences. Maybe this is one of them.

Suzanne, your friends shouldn't hear any engine noise. They may hear the thrusters and vibration as we enter and leave port. Since we've got lots of days at sea, that shouldn't be a major issue. I've been in this area (Emerald deck, 701-703) quite a few times before on other ships and rarely had an issue with noise from the elevator/stairs area. Usually, people are pretty quiet at the elevators. You can be anywhere on the ship and have a jerk standing outside your door calling to someone down the hallway. :(

If they've cruised on Sitmar and Princess before, they may even be Platinum! It's worth checking.

She is indeed Platinum, but it has been so long since she sailed she didn't know about the benefits. She was thrilled to learn that her husband could recieve the military benefit, so it looks like they are going to get lots of perks for this cruise that they hadn't planned on.

She is indeed Platinum, but it has been so long since she sailed she didn't know about the benefits. She was thrilled to learn that her husband could recieve the military benefit, so it looks like they are going to get lots of perks for this cruise that they hadn't planned on.

That's great & she'll also get 250 free internet minutes.

I have cruised on the Grand in E701 and E702 and it's definite that the bed is against the side wall and the view over the lifeboat is just fine - you can't look down at the water but you can look straight out and see the further view - the lifeboat is barely visible below your sightline looking straight out.

These cabins are also very convenient for the aft stairs which are the key to getting around the Grand - there being no centre stairs for pax above deck 7 - go up for all higher decks, or go down one flight either for immediate access to the big balcony (the Promenade deck), or to walk forward thru the photo gallery to access all areas around the Piazza.

I have cruised on the Grand in E701 and E702 and it's definite that the bed is against the side wall and the view over the lifeboat is just fine - you can't look down at the water but you can look straight out and see the further view - the lifeboat is barely visible below your sightline looking straight out.
Cool! First time I've had an oceanview cabin when the beds are against the wall. Now I'm really glad I didn't take the upsell!

E710 is less obstructed because you're looking out through the scaffolding (used by crew to get to the lifeboats.) However, IMHO, it doesn't make any difference. The bed(s) are against the window so the only use for the window is for light and to see whether it's rainy, sunny, etc. No one is going to be sitting looking out the window so how obstructed it is makes little difference. Chances are the privacy curtain will be closed most of the time.

FYI, My sister and I are right across the ship from E702, in E701 and E703. We refused an upsell because we like the location.

Not all beds are against the window. We recently took a 10 day cruise on Star Princess. We were booked in E407 which is an obstructed view. I picked this one from the available OV cabins using renmar's site.

The bed was not under the window. It was like the window in a regular hotel room so you could stand in front of it and look out. Of course we mainly just wanted the window for the natural light but it was nice to be able to actually use the window for viewing when we wanted.

Astro, she is also from Simi Valley. I think we are all four of us going to share a suburban limo to the pier.

We used a shuttle once which is convenient for a larger group particularly on a longer cruise. Once we enjoyed a "stay & park" package which are available at some San Pedro hotels such as the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach and the Crowne Plaza & include up to 2 weeks of parking & shuttle to/from the pier. We recently drove to the port leaving after 9:00 & it took us just over a hour taking the 5/110 route which had less traffic that day than the 405/110.

We used a shuttle once which is convenient for a larger group particularly on a longer cruise. Once we enjoyed a "stay & park" package which are available at some San Pedro hotels such as the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach and the Crowne Plaza & include up to 2 weeks of parking & shuttle to/from the pier. We recently drove to the port leaving after 9:00 & it took us just over a hour taking the 5/110 route which had less traffic that day than the 405/110.

I checked out the "stay and park" option at the Crown Plaza and passed on it. I used Priceline and didn't ask for their best price thing. I used the function to put in what you are willing to pay. Since the Doubletree and Crown Plaza are the only two 3 - 3.5 star hotels Priceline has in that area I knew what I would get. I booked two weekend stays - one for $88 a night and the other for $86 per night. We'll pay the $12 per day parking at the pier and save a lot of money over the Crown Plaza price for the "stay and park" rate.

I had never used Priceline before but I am extremely glad that I checked it out. :)

I checked out the "stay and park" option at the Crown Plaza and passed on it. I used Priceline and didn't ask for their best price thing. I used the function to put in what you are willing to pay. Since the Doubletree and Crown Plaza are the only two 3 - 3.5 star hotels Priceline has in that area I knew what I would get. I booked two weekend stays - one for $88 a night and the other for $86 per night. We'll pay the $12 per day parking at the pier and save a lot of money over the Crown Plaza price for the "stay and park" rate.

I had never used Priceline before but I am extremely glad that I checked it out. :)

There are several options for each of us to find the best one based on our preferences. :)

We used the "stay & park" option at the Doubletree for a 2 week cruise & it only cost us about $50 more to stay at the hotel vs. parking at the pier. Another benefit was a more relaxing drive to the pier instead of on embarkation day which was the day before Thanksgiving with even more traffic from those heading out of town.

We ended up booking a Chevy Suburban limo service to the pier, only a 90 minute trip in traffic, and got RT for $190. Splitting it with my friends, so we are going to get our Door to Door transportation RT for about $105 per couple with tip. That will end up being about the same as the parking at the pier, and we won't have to drive ourselves in LA Traffic. I guess we could have driven and shared the parking cost for less, but I think this will work out fine.

We ended up booking a Chevy Suburban limo service to the pier, only a 90 minute trip in traffic, and got RT for $190. Splitting it with my friends, so we are going to get our Door to Door transportation RT for about $105 per couple with tip. That will end up being about the same as the parking at the pier, and we won't have to drive ourselves in LA Traffic. I guess we could have driven and shared the parking cost for less, but I think this will work out fine.

That sounds great! :)

We're about an hour south of San Pedro and have already booked a limo for pick-up and drop-off both ways. It works out to be about the same as parking at the pier. I can leave my car in my garage. :)

From cabin pictures of the Grand, it appears that quad cabins have the beds under the window, and cabins for only two have them on the side wall. 702 is not a quad cabin. EM

This is exactly how it works - I found this out by walking around Emerald deck on disembarkation day nosing into all the empty cabins - I was checking the degree of obstruction of the view but I by chance noticed the bed configuration - I was surprised because I was used to the Sapphire where the bed is under the window in all obstr. OVs

The Golden is the same; the Star may be but I haven't cruised on her yet.