Dawn - disappointment

Hi - to some this may sound silly - we just returned from our 3rd cruise on the Dawn (30th cruise total) - and were a little disappointed:

(Prior to our departure - I had posted a couple of questions - regarding where NCL usually televises NFL play-off games - (since we are not all that familiar with NCL yet) and thoughts about how/where the College Football Championship game would be shown - several of you responded that there would definitely be a party somewhere - especially for the Championship Game -

Well - the NFL Play-offs were shown in the Pearly Kings Pub - (which holds about 80 people) - that was OK - no special food or anything - but the place was packed-

For the College Football Championship Game (January 12 - Oregon and Ohio) -I asked the concierge in advance - "where would the game be shown - where would the party be ?" -

The answer - ON CHANNEL 11 in YOUR ROOM !!

What a bummer !! (we ordered room service)

Just thought you all should know ...(maybe because this was a smaller ship ?) - hey - this was the National Championship Game ! - People were walking around the ship all that day - wearing their Ohio or Oregon shirts -

(I'm sure they expected something other than the game televised in you room)

Oh I wish you had stopped down in the sports bar and checked! The game was on there and we had a blast with a bunch of OSU fans (and I will say some very classy Ducks fans as well).

The bar staff and the desk staff did keep giving misinformation about the game all day though, and I tried to make sure everyone I saw asking about it was aware that since it was on ESPN, the bar that plays ESPN all day long would in fact have the game.

Edited by Bethwte
typo

Oh I wish you had stopped down in the sports bar and checked! The game was on there and we had a blast with a bunch of OSU fans (and I will say some very classy Ducks fans as well).

The bar staff and the desk staff did keep giving misinformation about the game all day though, and I tried to make sure everyone I saw asking about it was aware that since it was on ESPN, the bar that plays ESPN all day long would in fact have the game.

We experienced the same on the Dawn in October. It was the Thursday night NFL game and they insisted the game wouldn't be on. Even wrote "no football" on the chalkboard in Pearly Kings. Of course they broadcast the game. :D

I am on the Dawn 2/1, and I sure hope they are broadcasting the Superbowl in more venues than Pearly Kings..... Folks who have been on board for Superbowl in prior years have said they broadcast it in multiple venues and have hot dogs, nachos etc... I hope that is right or I am going to hear a raft of complaints from my better half....

Terry

I am on the Dawn 2/1, and I sure hope they are broadcasting the Superbowl in more venues than Pearly Kings..... Folks who have been on board for Superbowl in prior years have said they broadcast it in multiple venues and have hot dogs, nachos etc... I hope that is right or I am going to hear a raft of complaints from my better half....

Terry

It was 3 years ago when I was on the Dawn for the Superbowl, and they had a viewing party in the Spinaker lounge. They had the movie screen in front as well as a couple of TVs on the sides along with some food and snacks.

Terry

Hope you have better luck on your sailing than we did on the Epic last week for the First Ever Outright Champion in College FB.

The powers to be totally underestimated the interest and after packing O'Sheehan's with absolutely no room to move they finally decided to cancel the JAZZ performance in he atrium bar and put the game on the big screen. And then had to bring in more folding chairs for people to sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the same issue on Carnival last year with the NHL Finals. Only some games were shown at all due to channel coverage. Very frustruating and when a game was on, was very packed. Bartender actually gave my son a hard time for sitting on a stool because he had a broken ankle. Felt it was taking the place of a drinker and told him he should stand. I told him I'm drinking and standing behind him,, count the chair as me! Couldn't stand for 2-3 hrs on a broken ankle and there were other kids sitting down as well.......

We had the same issue on Carnival last year with the NHL Finals. Only some games were shown at all due to channel coverage. Very frustruating and when a game was on, was very packed. Bartender actually gave my son a hard time for sitting on a stool because he had a broken ankle. Felt it was taking the place of a drinker and told him he should stand. I told him I'm drinking and standing behind him,, count the chair as me! Couldn't stand for 2-3 hrs on a broken ankle and there were other kids sitting down as well.......

As Canadians and hockey fans we always found it next to impossible to get any hockey news or even scores when onboard.

DAMN ! - Oh well - as suite passengers - we trusted the information provided to us by our very own "personal" (ha ha ha) concierge .. I imagine that the place was pretty packed - we are Pac 12 Fans (not really Duck fans - but they beat our U of A Wildcats - so what else could we do but cheer on the mighty ducks (who lost !)

Thanks for the reply - I sure hope that any Super Bowl parties will be in a larger venue (!)