Freedom on the Today Show

As was posted earlier, RCI will reveal more about the Freedom on Aug. 31 on The Today Show. I checked our local listings, and it says that the Today Show is on at 7 a.m., and the Today Show I(?) at 9 a.m. Does anyone have any idea at which time approximately the news about the Freedom will be on? I tried checking NBC's website, but could find no further info. Thanks.

The Today Show is on for 3 hours. On our station, it is split into 7-9 and then 10-11, because Regis and Kelly are on at 9. Generally, they put the biggest segments on during the 7 and 8 o'clock hours, and leave the third hour for smaller stories. So, I guess it depends on whether or not this would be a big segment from the producer's perspective! I will be taping all three hours just to be safe!

The Today Show doesn't have Regis and Kelly. The Today Show has Katie Couric and Matt Lauer. It's easy to mix all the morning shows up! :)

Yes, I know that. NBC in our area shows two hours of Today Show (with Matt and Katie) and then at 9 a.m. shows Regis and Kelly and then at 10 a.m. shows Today show again. Regis and Kelly is syndicated, so our particular NBC chooses to show it and then go back to the third hour of Today Show later.

My husband works on the Today Show. I'll see if he can find out when the segment will be scheduled. He is working that morning, so if not before, I can post it that morning after he lets me know.

I know that the travel segments are usually aired in the third hour, but in TV, nothing is graven in stone.

Yes, I know that. NBC in our area shows two hours of Today Show (with Matt and Katie) and then at 9 a.m. shows Regis and Kelly and then at 10 a.m. shows Today show again. Regis and Kelly is syndicated, so our particular NBC chooses to show it and then go back to the third hour of Today Show later.

I thought that Regis and Kelly are on ABC?

Regis and Kelly is owned by ABC, but it is a syndicated show, so the highest bidder (televison station) in each market runs the show no matter their affliation.

It would be my guess the Freedom segment would run in the 8 or 9'oclock hour on the Today show.

I think I find it more interesting that Regis and Kelly is syndicated and in some areas runs inbetween the 9 and 10:00 hours of the Today Show. In my area, the Today show as someone already mentioned, runs from 7-9 and also from 9-10 on NBC. Regis and Kelly are on ABC.

Keep us updated about precisely when we'll learn about Freedom on the Today Show.

My husband works on the Today Show. I'll see if he can find out when the segment will be scheduled. He is working that morning, so if not before, I can post it that morning after he lets me know.

I know that the travel segments are usually aired in the third hour, but in TV, nothing is graven in stone.

Thanks.

We get Today on NBC for three hours straight. :) Thanks for the heads up! I look forward to seeing the show. I wonder if the show was their "big" announcement?

BTW - R & K are on ABC from 9:00 - 10:00 EST and after they air, we have Millionaire for an hour.

Due to the breaking news out of New Orleans, NBC producers are "kicking" out the RCCL information about the Freedom. Television news always changes, but as of now....no "fluff". I work for a local affiliate, so I know.

Surf's up — on the top deck By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

First, miniature golf. Then rock climbing. Now surfing.

clear.gifinside-cruiseship.jpgclear.gif The option to surf makes its debut in May aboard the 3,600-passenger Freedom of the Seas. clear.gif Royal Caribbean Royal Caribbean announces today that it is adding "surf parks" to the top deck of future vessels — the first cruise line to do so.

The line will unveil a mock-up of the 32-foot-wide FlowRider surf pool on NBC's Today show this week.

The attraction will operate on the same principle as a stationary lap pool with a constant water flow creating a wave-like shape that can be surfed or body-boarded.

Royal Caribbean is known for making waves in cruising. In 1995, it offered the first onboard miniature golf, and in 1999 it delivered the first climbing wall and the first ice skating rink. "We've been dedicated for a long time to telling people that cruising is different from what they think it is," president Adam Goldstein says.

The option to surf, which makes its debut in May aboard the 3,600-passenger Freedom of the Seas, joins the line's other recent changes. In July, it was the first to come out with bungee trampolines on the Enchantment of the Seas.

The offbeat offerings are part of an industrywide effort to convince non-cruisers they won't be bored spending a week or more on a ship.

"We think we've done a lot of damage to that myth," Goldstein says.

In the past year, Carnival and Princess have begun showing outdoor movies atop vessels, and the past decade has brought elaborate new spas, gourmet "alternative" restaurants, karaoke lounges, cigar and martini bars, ice cream parlors and more.

At 158,000 gross registered tons, the Freedom of the Seas will surpass Cunard's year-old Queen Mary 2 as the world's largest passenger vessel.

The surf park, which Goldstein says will be free, is just one water element for the top of Freedom. The top deck also will feature an adults-only solarium with two cantilevered whirlpools extending 12 feet past the sides of the ship, a main area with two pools, and interactive sculpture fountains, ground geysers, a cascading waterfall and circular pool with a current.

Goldstein says the variety is crucial to appealing to younger vacationers. In the past two decades, the average age of the line's passengers has dropped to 42 from the mid-50s.

Archived