Options to have a car in Seward

aj925

Ok, we finally chose a cruise and it ends in Seward. We are going to stay in Seward for a few days before heading to Anchorage for the flight home. I understand that renting a car in Seward is more expensive than Anchorage and also that the cost to get a car in Seward and drop off in Anchorage is very high. So I am thinking would it be better for the 3 of us to take the bus tour from the Seward port to Anchorage first thing in the morning and rent a car there, have lunch with relatives and then be able to leisurely drive back to Seward, keep the car in Seward for 3 or 4 nights and then be able to drive it back to the airport in Anchorage with stops along the way that we didn't do on the first day in time for a late night flight home? Or is the backtracking not worth it?

Price your options and see how it pencils out.

And keep in mind that you don't need a car for all your time in Seward unless you plan to explore outside the town. It's only about 1 1/2 miles from one end of Seward to the other ( from the Small Boat harbor where the pier and Kenai cruises operate to the 'downtown' area). A taxi would be less than $10. There's also a free shuttle service. The schedule is on the town web site.

If you rent a one-way car from Hertz for 3-4 days it will likely cost $400-$500. But what about 1 day rental? or 2?

if you choose to drive to Anc to get a car, it's only 130 miles so hardly a lot of backtracking. I've made the drive a dozen times and have enjoyed it every time. There are numerous places where you can stop both times during the drives .... ie at Potters Marsh you never know what wildlife might be at the end of the boardwalk.

Edited by mapleleaves

I often see people lamenting the need to backtrack... It's Alaska. It's scenic. The Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic in the world. I drove tour bus for two summers and drove back and forth to Seward two and three times a week. And every time I was in awe of the scenery...

I agree that the Seward Highway is very scenic, but from a visitor point of reference, there are many reasons back tracking is not a good plan in my opinion.

One issue with the above is their short amount of time and with taking a bus, hardly a "great" sightseeing day. It's transportation with no ability to stop etc.

As a suggestion, staying in Seward and touring there, far superior than "backtracking" using up a day. Depends what they are doing in Seward, but a lot does NOT need a rental car, and with three people and a 1or2 day rental at the end of their trip would be a superior option with time and the ability to have a car right up to drop off at the airport.

To save money you could have one person/ the designated driver head to the Anchorage airport via ships transfer and pick up rental car and everyone else check in at hotel.

Having a car will allow you flexibility to visit Exit glacier and the rest of the Kenai Peninsula. Depending on when you are there parking can be limited in Seward. Check with hotel if they have parking or do you have to find a place on the street. make sure you go to the Wildlife Conservation center. Not really fancy but you will get to see many animals. Say hello to the eagle Adonis for me. http://www.alaskawildlife.org/