Camera Tripod Considerations?

abbotlex

It seems common knowledge that if you have a camera with a high zoom capability to take it to Alaska. I have such a camera and will be cruising for the first time in a balcony stateroom. Any tips or suggestions for a tripod to take pictures from the balcony? I'm thinking since space in the room and in your luggage is somewhat at a premium, is a "travel" tripod worth it. Has anyone found balconies too small for your standard camera tripod?

Thanks in advance,

It seems common knowledge that if you have a camera with a high zoom capability to take it to Alaska. I have such a camera and will be cruising for the first time in a balcony stateroom. Any tips or suggestions for a tripod to take pictures from the balcony? I'm thinking since space in the room and in your luggage is somewhat at a premium, is a "travel" tripod worth it. Has anyone found balconies too small for your standard camera tripod?

Thanks in advance,

You are missing a few major issues. The function of a tripod is to minimize camera movement. You are going to put your tripod on the floor of your balcony. There is always vibration on a ship so the vibration will be transmitted from the ship through the tripod to your camera. So the only thing that the tripod will do is prevent camera movement because you can not hold the camera steady.

I would suggest getting a beanbag and using it to help reduce camera movement. The beanbag will also transmit ship vibration much less and it is much easier to carry.

Read the last paragraph from this post - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/gimbal___monopod.shtml

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Some thoughts...

• Ship movements and vibrations is more a problem when moving... not when stationary in port or glacier viewing... Unless you are doing long exposure astronomy photography, you should have much of a problem. Image stabilization should compensate for ship vibrations.
  • Make sure your travel tripod is higher than the railing
  • Don't leave your tripod in the balcony when you are away. It can be windy and the staff clean the balcony area twice a day.

Here's a time lapse video to illustrate some of the movements to expect...

Edited by xlxo

Good points, all. Thanks.

I intend on using a tripod is simply to help steady the camera for high-zoom pictures from the ship to shore or wildlife in the water. Still high shutter speed, so I'm not trying to eliminate movement or vibration.

Any idea how high that is typically? I don't imagine many take a tape measure on a cruise, but a guess? 3 1/2 ft? 4 ft?

Edited by abbotlex

Wildlife in the water? High-zoom? Normally I would pack a gimbal head or a wimberley sidekick to float my lens to better chase the subject. Not quite portable.

Don't quite remember the railing height, but I would pack a gorilla pod. It would allow you use to mount your lens/camera onto the railing to provide some support... How big is your lens?

Edited by xlxo

Wildlife in the water? High-zoom? Normally I would pack a gimbal head or a wimberley sidekick to float my lens to better chase the subject. Not quite portable.

Don't quite remember the railing height, but I would pack a gorilla pod. It would allow you use to mount your lens/camera onto the railing to provide some support... How big is your lens?

Wow, those wimberley heads are sweet. I'm not that advanced yet. I just have a high optical zoom digital (not even a DSLR). But it's equivalent optical focal length is over 800mm so it can get in pretty close if I have enough light.

Since it's a relatively light camera, I'm thinking more a monopod is the way to go.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas.

Some thoughts...

• Ship movements and vibrations is more a problem when moving... not when stationary in port or glacier viewing... Unless you are doing long exposure astronomy photography, you should have much of a problem. Image stabilization should compensate for ship vibrations.
  • Don't leave your tripod in the balcony when you are away. It can be windy and the staff clean the balcony area twice a day.

Here's a time lapse video to illustrate some of the movements to expect...

Don't see how this shows anything relative to what the OP is worrying about as the video does not indicate lens focal length or the shutter speed used. Without this information, the video although very nice but useless.

DON

Don't bother with a tripod. Most of what you really want pictures of is animals, and they move. You have to be really quick to get them. You want a relatively fast shutter speed to stop the movement. If you want scenery then use the tripod, but the good stuff almost always is caught hand held.