Chair Hogs Rule

Scotchick

Not sure if there is official wording, doesn't matter as the staff will never enforce it at the risk of offending a customer....

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff in the Freestyle Daily about items being removed after 15 minutes. I've never seen any of the staff ENFORCE that, though.

We do not lay out by the pool, so chair hogs do not effect us but still do not like them. The funniest and best thing I ever heard was to take the books/towels off the chair/lounge and put them on the ground and then take the chair/lounge to another spot and enjoy it plus the look on the faces of the chair hogs when they come back would be priceless!:p

If you are USING the chair...and that includes going in the pool, bathroom, getting a quick bite to bring back...then you are NOT a "hog". A "hog" is someone who puts a towel or other item on a chair to "hold" it, with no intention of using it until later.

When you're at the pool, you're allowed to do "pool things", which includes being out of the chair at times!!!!

There is no actual "time limit"....it's what folks here decide!! You can almost always find empty loungers on an upper deck...less crowded there, too!

Edited by cb at sea

And I make it a POINT of asking if I can play that machine. Drives me nuts and easy to move their F_T as_es.

I always ask as well. I typically say "are you playing this machine?" and almost always they say no and get off the chair. It's only in Atlantic City when I asked a lady if she was playing a machine (she was the playing the one next to it) and she said "it's my machine." WOW..

. ...

There is no actual "time limit"....it's what folks here decide!! ...

Actually, there IS a limit placed by NCL. See Post #8 for photo of posted sign.

It's just not enforced.

Edited by NMLady

This is NCL's policy.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. If you know for sure that there is a rule in place, you should take it to a pool person and have them enforce it. This has been done on other cruises and it works. Most people just complain and don't report it to the right people or are just too weak to do anything about it. From a legal standpoint, I think I would hesitate to remove someones belongings myself, but if you feel strongly about it you should report it.

If you are USING the chair...and that includes going in the pool, bathroom, getting a quick bite to bring back...then you are NOT a "hog". A "hog" is someone who puts a towel or other item on a chair to "hold" it, with no intention of using it until later.

When you're at the pool, you're allowed to do "pool things", which includes being out of the chair at times!!!!

There is no actual "time limit"....it's what folks here decide!! You can almost always find empty loungers on an upper deck...less crowded there, too!

As posted below, NCL does not say you can go do other things and keep your chair, what they do say is: if the chair is unoccupied for 30 minutes, your things can/will be removed.

This is NCL's policy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=337744&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1421983125

Actually, there IS a limit placed by NCL. See Post #8 for photo of posted sign.

It's just not enforced.

While that may be NCL's policy, that is not NCL's sign.

That card is something someone here created a year or two ago. They thought they would print them up and place them on deck loungers themselves.

Edited by triptolemus

Both of our cruises this past year (Epic and Getaway), the Freestyle Dailies said 1 hour. It was printed right on the front of them every day. If you are looking for something written, you might look to some of the posted freestyle dailies here on CC.

Edited by LrgPizza

Wait other people put those items on chairs ??! I thought they were complimentary items from NCL, like here is some sunglasses, or a book you might like. :o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Edited by DAVECHIPP1974

I just think this is obnoxious. If you go out on deck early in the morning to "reserve" a few loungers for your party, and not come back until hours later, then I personally think it's more than okay for other passengers to remove your belongings and make use of the loungers themselves.

I suppose the issue arises when the other party returns to see their belongings moved and someone in "their" chairs. I don't really look to create conflict while on vacation, but I think I may be open for discussion if this were to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do not lay out by the pool, so chair hogs do not effect us but still do not like them. The funniest and best thing I ever heard was to take the books/towels off the chair/lounge and put them on the ground and then take the chair/lounge to another spot and enjoy it plus the look on the faces of the chair hogs when they come back would be priceless!:p

I agree... this technique sounds the most satisfying :)

I just think this is obnoxious. If you go out on deck early in the morning to "reserve" a few loungers for your party, and not come back until hours later, then I personally think it's more than okay for other passengers to remove your belongings and make use of the loungers themselves.

I suppose the issue arises when the other party returns to see their belongings moved and someone in "their" chairs. I don't really look to create conflict while on vacation, but I think I may be open for discussion if this were to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D Just apologize when confronted about the lounger and say you were having stomach issues and needed to sit down temporarily to pass Gas.....

Good chance you will keep the chair...

On several cruises my wife and her sister and I have wanted a table in the buffet. We were not able to find one because people had left items either on the table or chairs and had then gone to the line. I use a walker, and cannot stand for long. We have moved items to the floor and sat down with our trays. The waiters have found another place for the items. Yes, people get upset when they come back, but too bad. Dining tables are not storage areas.

Finding a chair was CRAZY on the Epic during spring break 2014. Nearly all the chairs around the pool had a towel on them by 7 am. Who the heck gets up at the crack of dawn to do such a thing?? The staff did start removing items around 11 am.

When we were on the Getaway, hubby and I grabbed a couple of chairs in the shade. Some time later, a jerk started a fight with us saying those were HIS chairs! HE was trying to hog 2 loungers and 2 chairs for him and his wife. I basically told him that we were not moving and if he didn't like it, I would be glad to call security.

Edited by Glitter nails

Good for you....

Loungers and chairs are for those who need seating at that moment , not an hour or two from now...I understand if you put something down while you grab a drink to bring back from the bar...

If you want the seat then put your butt in it otherwise don't be surprised if your stuff is tossed aside....

Edited by warriorking

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff in the Freestyle Daily about items being removed after 15 minutes. I've never seen any of the staff ENFORCE that, though.

Definitely not 15 minutes. I have read 60 minutes in the Dailies. We don't usually have an issue as we are out there by 7am, but if I wanted a chair, I would remove the belongings after an hour.

Edited by SissasMomE

Finding a chair was CRAZY on the Epic during spring break 2014. Nearly all the chairs around the pool had a towel on them by 7 am. Who the heck gets up at the crack of dawn to do such a thing?? The staff did start removing items around 11 am.

When we were on the Getaway, hubby and I grabbed a couple of chairs in the shade. Some time later, a jerk started a fight with us saying those were HIS chairs! HE was trying to hog 2 loungers and 2 chairs for him and his wife. I basically told him that we were not moving and if he didn't like it, I would be glad to call security.

We have never had a problem. The people I see having problems are those that come waltzing out at 11am or noon looking for a lounge chair in a prime location. We DO go out there at 7am, and sometimes earlier, because we are early risers, and do not waste our vacation sleeping! There are ALWAYS plenty of chairs on the upper decks. Always.

Edited by SissasMomE