Raincoat with removable fleece liner

auntjoy036

Hi. I read these boards frequently (love them!) and post on occasion. The often given clothing advice for Alaska is to dress in layers, including regular clothes, then a fleece, then a rainproof jacket. I think I might feel a little claustrophobic in a fleece jacket topped by a raincoat. I'm from Atlanta, GA and not used to bundling up.

Have any of you used a rain jacket with a removable fleece lining? That might be a little more comfortable, since the fleece is tailored to fit the jacket. Did the fleece-lined jacket work well for you? Mom and I are cruising Alaska in August. Typically the weather is warmer then than earlier in the season. I expect our coolest days will be cruising Glacier Bay and whale watching in Juneau.

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

I bought a North Face jacket years ago and love that feature. Some don't like it because the fleece has a gap where the zipper meets and yields a cold spot at the centre of the chest. Does not bother me.

Depending on what excursions you go on... such jackets may be overkill where a light jacket with umbrella does the job.

Are you planning to go glacier ice climbing?

Hi. I read these boards frequently (love them!) and post on occasion. The often given clothing advice for Alaska is to dress in layers, including regular clothes, then a fleece, then a rainproof jacket. I think I might feel a little claustrophobic in a fleece jacket topped by a raincoat. I'm from Atlanta, GA and not used to bundling up.

Have any of you used a rain jacket with a removable fleece lining? That might be a little more comfortable, since the fleece is tailored to fit the jacket. Did the fleece-lined jacket work well for you? Mom and I are cruising Alaska in August. Typically the weather is warmer then than earlier in the season. I expect our coolest days will be cruising Glacier Bay and whale watching in Juneau.

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

my daughter and son in law were there in the beginning of august (2 Years ago) and we're all going this august.

They wore a rain jacket with a removable fleece lining.

But they also wore another fleece jacket under that.

so they had on a fleece jacket. Then another fleece jacket that was a zip out of the rain jacket. And then the rain jacket as well.

keep in mind that how cold it feels will depend on what you're used to.

We live in a hot climate, so alaskan summer weather is colder than our winter. so when you read people's clothing posts, take into consideration where they're from.

Edited by alaska_planner

People post 'recommendations'. Obviously you need to go with whatever option works for you.

My fleece is a thin pullover, no thicker than a sweatshirt. I don't wear wear a bulky fleece jacket underneath my rain jacket!

That's also why I suggest a day pack .... it's a convenient place to store layers when you don't need them during the day

The idea is to be dry and warm. If your rain jacket is waterproof that's the important thing. If it's not, take a poncho as added protection.

I hate to be cold! I've been to Alaska twice, both times early August; once a road trip Anchorage to Fairbanks and back, the other a cruise. Both times I wore a WATERPROOF uninsulated hooded jacket, light fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, and a scarf for added warmth around my neck (and style). I was never cold, even when the wind was blowing. Can't wait to go back for my third visit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

For me, they are "six of one and half-a-dozen of another" for warmth ..... pretty much the same for warmth. Having said that, the one big downside to the zip in fleece lining for me is that if you need to adjust what you are wearing, you are piddling around with the zip-in liner, which you may later need to zip back in. I no longer own a jacket with a zip in liner, I use a separate fleece under my waterproof layer. Because I would get SO annoyed at the zip-out, zip-back-in dance ;) You really want to be able to re-layer as the weather requires.

For me, they are "six of one and half-a-dozen of another" for warmth ..... pretty much the same for warmth. Having said that, the one big downside to the zip in fleece lining for me is that if you need to adjust what you are wearing, you are piddling around with the zip-in liner, which you may later need to zip back in. I no longer own a jacket with a zip in liner, I use a separate fleece under my waterproof layer. Because I would get SO annoyed at the zip-out, zip-back-in dance ;) You really want to be able to re-layer as the weather requires.

I agree. Having the zip-in liner eliminates the possibility of wearing JUST the fleece and like mentioned is much more putzy. I made sure to get my waterproof windbreaker a little larger and it was plenty comfortable over the fleece.

Thanks everyone. I've shopped sales online today plus thought about what Mom and I already own. I think we'll use the hooded, fingertip length, good quality raincoats we already own. To layer underneath I'll buy lightweight polarfleece jackets. I'm also investing in a knit hat for each of us and a scarf for Mom. We have gloves.

Thanks so much for your friendship and advice.

Vicki

I thought you were tryng to avoid the 'claustrophobic' feeling of a fleece jacket under the raincoat ? Maybe consider thermal undershirt as your first layer, then a shirt, pullover or sweatshirt, topped with the rain jacket. Just a thought ....

Does your jacket have a hood? A knit hat will keep your head warm under a hood, but they're not so good in the rain. I've heard that a baseball hat sprayed with waterproofing is helpful.

I suggest a waterproof outer layer rather than something water resistant - big difference. Be sure that waterproof outer layer is made from a breathable material such as goretex. You can wear this over a fleece, a sweater or a sweatshirt.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

to clarify my response, DD and her husband wore zip out fleece jackets...

their waterproof jackets had zip out polarfleece jackets that could be worn independently or together with the rain jacket..

but again, they wore two polarfleece jackets, plus the rain jacket...

by the way, they also wore waterproof rainpants over their regular pants...

DD said that on their whalewatch they were the ONLY people standing outside as it was raining the entire time.....but since they were covered head to toe in waterproof clothes, it didn't bother them in the least...

the rainpants (that you wear over regular pants) were very inexpensive....less than $20.....

Edited by alaska_planner

If you're concerned about feeling claustrophobic, then I suggest going to a store with whatever you own and are planning to take and trying on whatever you're thinking about purchasing. Buying something over the internet without being able to feel it on oneself is never the best way to go, in my opinion.

I don't think I've ever bought any clothes online, and don't plan to without trying them on and possibly finding a cheaper price.

Edited by GreySkies
Spelling correction.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued good ideas and inspiration. I got lightweight fleece jackets at a very good discount. After putting the fleece-lined rain jackets in an online shopping cart but not buying them, I got an addition coupon that would make them $30 each. I may buy them to try/have as an option. By this summer when Mom and I are making final packing decisions, these clothes won't be in season.

We usually don't do much shopping on our travels (other than Christmas ornaments) but couldn't resist the Tongass Trading Co jackets. I get lots of compliments on my pale pink one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Sounds like us. I've been mistaken for a small school bus in my yellow Tongas jacket.

We bought that exact type of coat from LL Bean for about $99 for our previous cruise to Alaska. We live in So Cal, so heavy jackets are not our thing either. We LOVE those coats and still use them at home all the time, one layer or the other or both. The LLBean ones have lots of pockets in both coats which is very convenient. We do still refer to them as our "Alaska" coats. We are going on another 2 week Alaska cruise in July and will be bringing them again, because we got a mixture of rain sun and chilly weather when we went in the summer last time.

We bought that exact type of coat from LL Bean for about $99 for our previous cruise to Alaska. We live in So Cal, so heavy jackets are not our thing either. We LOVE those coats and still use them at home all the time, one layer or the other or both. The LLBean ones have lots of pockets in both coats which is very convenient. We do still refer to them as our "Alaska" coats. We are going on another 2 week Alaska cruise in July and will be bringing them again, because we got a mixture of rain sun and chilly weather when we went in the summer last time.

thanks for the recommendation. I didn't think of looking at ll bean. Found exactly what i need there.!

I take a down vest and a Goretex Raincoat with hood. Both fit in a day pack. The down vest is light and comfortable. When you wear it you can unzip it and leave in on when it warms up or take it off and put it in day pack.

Good rain gear might save your trip.

Fleece garments do not have to be bulky. Half zip/quarter zip polartec pullovers are thin and warm. Eddie Bauer has some nice ones. They are usually fitted as many use them for layering. Even my full zip fleece (Columbia) is warm but not bulky. Many of these are on sale or clearance right now. If you live in a mild/moderate climate, you'll also be able to get use out of them at home. I live in Silicon Valley and these are great cool weather garments.

For those who've never shopped on line, it's become very easy. Most sites are selling exactly what you'd find in their stores and make returns very easy. I almost always get better prices if I browse on line. Besides a manufacturers site, such as Columbia, for instance, Amazon.com carries almost everything you might need or want for any aspect of your life. Try it!

Edited by rpcv77
Spelling error

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased for DH from amazon a very nice waterproof jacket made by Charles River Apparel. I ordered it a size up to be able to layer over fleece or a hoodie. It was about $40. I liked it so much I ordered one in the women's cut which cones in very pretty colors. It was about the same price. We will use them a lot here in FL. DH is a football coach and it rained 5 weeks in row last season.

Edited by knbcruisers

We are looking for lightweight wYerproof jackets for our late August cruise to Alaska.....I have looked on the to gas and llbean website..which do you recommend I buy...what is the name of the jacket

You're overthinking this. It's a waterproof jacket. Get whichever one you might wear again, and, suits your budget.

(Personally I prefer a hooded jacket. Saves me from carrying a hat.)