Bringing Soda on Board

We used to always bring our favorite soda on board by putting a cabin tag on it and leaving it with the porters. Now I'm reading where you are suppose to, not only carry it on, but have it in a carry-on bag. That means when we leave we have this extra bag to take home. Has anyone had success leaving it with porters? We are sailing Oasis out of Ft. Lauderdale.

People have been refused on spring break cruises. At some ports, the porters insist that you carry your own stuff on. At others it must be in baggage - like a duffel bag. So, as with many things, YMMV.

The wording of that policy makes no sense. Why would security inspect soda for alcohol if soda is not allowed? Just take it away.

It implies right there it IS allowed.

Edited by twindaddy

The wording of that policy makes no sense. Why would security inspect soda for alcohol if soda is not allowed? Just take it away.

It implies right there it IS allowed.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port.

Last month we brought a case of water and a case of diet Dr. Pepper. We even had the ultimate beverage packages but just wanted the convenience. We were completely OK with the fact that it could be taken away from us and we were talking less than $10.

The porter SPECIFICALLY TOLD US "I'm not allowed to take this any more. It won't get delivered to you." I told him, "Please load it on the cart with my luggage and if it doesn't make it on, I'm just fine w/ it". I smiled, said please and thank you, and I gave him an EXTRA $5 over and above the tip for the luggage.

Our luggage made it on quite quickly and I thought we were out of luck on the beverages. But about an hour later, there was a cabin steward w a big cart FILLED w water and soda, and we got our drinks delivered w/o a problem.

Navigator, November 30 to December 7.

Last month we brought a case of water and a case of diet Dr. Pepper. We even had the ultimate beverage packages but just wanted the convenience. We were completely OK with the fact that it could be taken away from us and we were talking less than $10.

The porter SPECIFICALLY TOLD US "I'm not allowed to take this any more. It won't get delivered to you." I told him, "Please load it on the cart with my luggage and if it doesn't make it on, I'm just fine w/ it". I smiled, said please and thank you, and I gave him an EXTRA $5 over and above the tip for the luggage.

Our luggage made it on quite quickly and I thought we were out of luck on the beverages. But about an hour later, there was a cabin steward w a big cart FILLED w water and soda, and we got our drinks delivered w/o a problem.

It's amazing what a fiver can do

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port.

I can use cut and paste too, but you need to read a little farther.....

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol"

One paragraphs implies the other is ignored.

Why would you inspect a soda bottle if it not allowed in the first place? You would just throw it out.

Why would you inspect a soda bottle if it not allowed in the first place? You would just throw it out.

You are sort of right; they will only throw something out if it is not sealed. If it is still sealed they confiscate and return at the end.

Reminds me of boarding last year in Vancouver with a suitcase crammed full of water, booze, and gifts for other cabins.

The porter said "you cannot bring this on board, it is too big, I have to take it!" I said I will take my chances, I have measured it.

of course it fit through the scanner just fine, which is actually larger than an typical airport scanner.

The scanner guy yells out "alcohol!" to his inspector buddy. I (with a smile) yell out "I love Disney Cruise Line!" which allows unlimited alcohol to be brought on board. He got a slightly dejected look and I wheeled my booze wagon suitcase away. They scan for both ships in port, the other being a NCL ship, I think he thought he had hit a jackpot.

Edited by twindaddy

You are sort of right; they will only throw something out if it is not sealed. If it is still sealed they confiscate and return at the end.

I am a married guy, I am NEVER right :rolleyes:

I just find the wording interesting.

I am new to Royal, but it seems they regularly ignore most of their policies.

I can use cut and paste too, but you need to read a little farther.....

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol"

One paragraphs implies the other is ignored.

I think they are talking about inspecting bottles in your luggage.

No matter how you spin it, its not allowed according to the rules. Is it enforced, no-but the day they tell you you can not bring it on board-they will have a leg to stand on.

FYI

I have been taking water and soda on cruises for years. When you see non-alcoholic it means non-alcoholic beer. like O'douls. So bring on your soda or water and yes they will inspect it to make sure the seals aren't broken.

FYI

I have been taking water and soda on cruises for years. When you see non-alcoholic it means non-alcoholic beer. like O'douls. So bring on your soda or water and yes they will inspect it to make sure the seals aren't broken.[/quote

come on...........

Edited by Debde

I think they are talking about inspecting bottles in your luggage.

No matter how you spin it, its not allowed according to the rules. Is it enforced, no-but the day they tell you you can not bring it on board-they will have a leg to stand on.

Who is spinning anything? I realize it is not allowed and subject to confiscation.

I just find the wording odd. Maybe it is for someone who would take a soda bottle and fill it with mouthwash? I guess that person could exist.

I will add this to the long list of policies that Royal seems to regularly ignore.

I just returned today from the Serenade of the seas. We brought 2 bottles of wine with us as well as a case if water. The wine we carried directly thru security with no problems and the case of wine we tagged it with our luggage and it arrived with no problem.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

We have been taking soda on for years in our carry-on and checked bags. Have never been denied either. Two years ago on Indy for spring break they pulled me aside to check that the bottles were sealed and sent me on my way. Last year, same cruise and they did not even check my carry-on with the soda in it.

I love this line from your link

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, "[color=

If you are not to bring on anything but wine, what is there to inspect? They should just throw it all away!