Good Mickey Mouse waffles on Fantasy?

cruisefamilyforever

Here is a question I don't recall anyone addressing before. Does anyone know if the Mickey Mouse waffles served on the Fantasy are the good ones? If you or your kids have eaten the ones at any of the Disney resorts you know exactly what I'm talking about. We always get Mickey waffles when we stay at the resorts and we all like them. We expected the same good waffle when we sailed on the Dream in 2012, but we were very disappointed. The waffles were not the same batter and they were terrible. My kids wouldn't eat them. My wife researched the issue when we returned from our trip and found out it was a common issue because they were not made with the same recipe used at the resorts.

Does anyone know if the Mickey waffles on the Fantasy are like the one currently served at the resorts?

Here is a question I don't recall anyone addressing before. Does anyone know if the Mickey Mouse waffles served on the Fantasy are the good ones? If you or your kids have eaten the ones at any of the Disney resorts you know exactly what I'm talking about. We always get Mickey waffles when we stay at the resorts and we all like them. We expected the same good waffle when we sailed on the Dream in 2012, but we were very disappointed. The waffles were not the same batter and they were terrible. My kids wouldn't eat them. My wife researched the issue when we returned from our trip and found out it was a common issue because they were not made with the same recipe used at the resorts.

Does anyone know if the Mickey waffles on the Fantasy are like the one currently served at the resorts?

The issue with waffles (and pancakes, for that matter) onboard the ship seems to be, AFAIK, that they are pre-made and frozen. I've always found waffles and pancakes on most cruises that I've been on (not just DCL) to be very dense and heavy. Maybe it has to do with making them in a salty, damp environment?

The "best" ones I've had were on one of our Holland America cruises, where they had a waffle making station (where they would put the batter in and flip the waffle iron over to cook). It took a long time, but they were the best ones I've had on a cruise. But still a little dense.

Shmoo is absolutely correct about this.

In fact, they actually especially defrost, and cook the waffles and pancakes on the deck 2 Aft mooring deck just to add that extra saltiness and humidity to them.

Land based restaurants have the ability to have more staff to mix and cook food to order.

Ships have a very limited amount of staff to do the same based upon the amount of births they can squeeze into the lower decks. (think 15-20 feet below water line, in-between the engine room, laundry, food stores, fresh and frozen and dry goods, booze, "free" soda and the all important Castaway Gifts, but not forgetting the sacks and sacks of Pixie dust! ;)

Truth, A, B, C, D or E?

A: There is a CM guy who's name you could not pronounce, that makes enough batter for around 100 Mickey waffles each morning at around 5am.

Then he pour's the mix into a massive waffle iron.

Whilst they are cooking he starts making the next batch of mix, Once they are cooked, he puts them in to a big old tray.and repeats it again. And again.

They get sent to the galleys and kept in a hot cupboard until needed and there you go.

One guy trying to make hundreds of Mickey waffles each hour from a very busy galley.

B: There is a guy who's name you could not pronounce at undisclosed location makes enough batter for around 8000 Mickey waffles each morning at around 5am.

He puts them into a big old waffle iron. Once they are cooked, he puts them in to a big old tray, then into the freezer for several months to get freezer burn before sending them to all 4 ships.

Once on the ship, some CM guy gets up 15 minutes before his breakfast shift starts, unwashed, with a hangover, and they get defrosted in a microwave and there you go.

C: They are pre-made and frozen because DCL can't be assed to get a good waffle cook.

D: They are pre-made and frozen on land, defrosted in a temperature controlled environment and reheated in an air-condition, humidity controlled industrial kitchen galley, because they cannot afford the space to have a massive industrial waffle iron churning out 800 waffles an hour and the crew to staff it.

E: They are flown in fresh each morning by helicopter from WDW, but the high altitude can make the dough dense.

The choice of scenarios is up to you.

But unless your AC was not working or you slept on a verandah, reasoning they were made in a salty, damp environment......... :roll eyes: Sigh.

ex techie

So if I understand you correctly Ex techie, if Disney would just leave some bags of pixie dust from the storage room on the dock there would be room for the right equipment and some bunks for cooks with names no one can pronounce to make a good waffle.

I'll call Mickey and see if he willing to make this adjustment so my family can have a tasty waffle :D.

Who knew, I just wanted to know if the waffles were any better on the Fantasy lately since my family will be on it in a few months.

No' date=' they are usually bad...and often cold if they come off the buffet. Not the good WDW ones.[/quote']

Thank's, that's what I wanted to know. The waffles were our only food disapointment on our previous Disney cruise, so my family will survive. My kids were just hoping they were better now and they just had the good ones when we were at Disney World for Christmas. At least the Mickey bars are the same :).

Honestly I do not understand how DCL gets away serving some food items, waffles being one of them.

The worst ones we had were on Fantasy, they were whole wheat. Inedible.

Want good waffles on a cruise? Try Celebrity. Freshly made and an awesome cruise line.

Oh, and much less expensive.

So if I understand you correctly Ex techie, if Disney would just leave some bags of pixie dust from the storage room on the dock there would be room for the right equipment and some bunks for cooks with names no one can pronounce to make a good waffle.

I'll call Mickey and see if he willing to make this adjustment so my family can have a tasty waffle :D.

Who knew, I just wanted to know if the waffles were any better on the Fantasy lately since my family will be on it in a few months.

Let me know what Mickey says ;)

And it was the assumption that the galleys are a salty damp environment? And that was the cause of the waffles being of a dense and heavy texture (by someone else) that prompted by overly long and sarcastic post. Not your reasonable question.

Given the amount consumed on any one cruise, I would say it is 99% that they are remade on land and frozen, so should be of the same quality and consistency across the DCL fleet.

ex techie

Let me know what Mickey says ;)

And it was the assumption that the galleys are a salty damp environment? And that was the cause of the waffles being of a dense and heavy texture (by someone else) that prompted by overly long and sarcastic post. Not your reasonable question.

Given the amount consumed on any one cruise, I would say it is 99% that they are remade on land and frozen, so should be of the same quality and consistency across the DCL fleet.

ex techie

I enjoy your insight and most of the time your sarcasm. It keeps the boards interesting.

We have actually been told by the cruise head chief that it is not the same recipe for the waffles served on the ship. The consistency was not the problem, it was the flavor. Thrust me my son knows when something has seen modified. When Burger King modified their chicken nuggets a while back, my son knew it. I asked the manager why they changed the way they made their nuggets and she was shocked. It hadn't been released that there was a change and they had just started serving them. He no longer will eat their nuggets that he loved for over 15 years.

I enjoy your insight and most of the time your sarcasm. It keeps the boards interesting.

We have actually been told by the cruise head chief that it is not the same recipe for the waffles served on the ship. The consistency was not the problem, it was the flavor. Thrust me my son knows when something has seen modified. When Burger King modified their chicken nuggets a while back, my son knew it. I asked the manager why they changed the way they made their nuggets and she was shocked. It hadn't been released that there was a change and they had just started serving them. He no longer will eat their nuggets that he loved for over 15 years.

I guess the recipe doesn't freeze well. That is the only reason I can think of that would make them change it.

I hope and am sure you and your son will find plenty of tasty treats on your next cruise!

ex techie