Family Harbour suite - yes, no or maybe?

Over Land & Sea

If kids are getting the hamburger, hot dog, chicken nuggets, pizza type of menu it is no different than any other free kids menu and should not be advertised as kids eat free in specialty. Kids in specialty free should only be advertised if there is a specialty menu for them to order off of. I hate marketing doublespeak. Looks impressive, but just hot air.

I think the up charge of 10 is mostly towards the experience. So I look at it as children now get to experience the Steakhouse for free. Just my take...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the up charge of 10 is mostly towards the experience. So I look at it as children now get to experience the Steakhouse for free. Just my take...

You and I have different meanings for the word free.

Saying kids eat "free" in specialty and giving them a junky kids menu is no change from what is currently free now across the fleet without FHS. Might as well advertise FHS with "Free running water" if that's the measurement now.

It's tricky and a bit deceptive.

Now, it does remain to be seen what actually happens and I don't take JH at his word because he has been trotted out by management to say "whatever" and is just as often wrong as he is right, even though he seems well meaning. If there is a scaled down specialty menu for kids, I say this is a bonus. If there is just a plain kids menu that is free now anyways, it's a bunch of crud.

The tone of the previous conversation on this issue was less about cost and more about discouraging bringing kids to the steakhouse as it is meant to be a fine dining as opposed to family dining experience. It is a lengthy meal, often lasting 1.5 to 2 hours and not intended for small children.

Before everyone straps on their flamethrowers, I didn't say this was my opinion, I am just repeating what was a recurring theme in an earlier discussion. ;)

You and I have different meanings for the word free.

Saying kids eat "free" in specialty and giving them a junky kids menu is no change from what is currently free now across the fleet without FHS. Might as well advertise FHS with "Free running water" if that's the measurement now.

It's tricky and a bit deceptive.

Now, it does remain to be seen what actually happens and I don't take JH at his word because he has been trotted out by management to say "whatever" and is just as often wrong as he is right, even though he seems well meaning. If there is a scaled down specialty menu for kids, I say this is a bonus. If there is just a plain kids menu that is free now anyways, it's a bunch of crud.

Apparently we do have different opinions. I do recognize that when I have an opportunity to enjoy what is considered fine dining whether on land or cruise that high percent of the cost of the meal goes to the experience and attention I enjoy.

I do feel its unreasonable to think Carnival would offer the same menu to adults and children. I don't think either of my children would appreciate a huge steak, lamb chops or a 1lb lobster.

It appears Carnival is saying loud and clear that they welcome children to the steakhouse.

Apparently we do have different opinions. I do recognize that when I have an opportunity to enjoy what is considered fine dining whether on land or cruise that high percent of the cost of the meal goes to the experience and attention I enjoy.

I do feel its unreasonable to think Carnival would offer the same menu to adults and children. I don't think either of my children would appreciate a huge steak, lamb chops or a 1lb lobster.

It appears Carnival is saying loud and clear that they welcome children to the steakhouse.

If they say that I book a Family Harbor room and one of the "perks" is kids eat free in specialty I expect to take a kid to specialty and not be charged for them. I also expect that they either be offered the specialty menu, or, more appropriately in my opinion, a kids sized version of the specialty menu. Smaller portions, etc.

if they just offer pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, that's free EVERYWHERE already and isn't a "perk". If that's the case it shouldn't be advertised as one.

edit: I agree, the full size portions for kids aren't really appropriate. Probably would be a waste of food.

Edited by LMaxwell

If they say that I book a Family Harbor room and one of the "perks" is kids eat free in specialty I expect to take a kid to specialty and not be charged for them. I also expect that they either be offered the specialty menu, or, more appropriately in my opinion, a kids sized version of the specialty menu. Smaller portions, etc.

if they just offer pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, that's free EVERYWHERE already and isn't a "perk". If that's the case it shouldn't be advertised as one.

On the example menu posted above it didn't include the items you just mentioned.? Shrimp cocktail and filet in my book are considered speciality. Where did you get nuggets and hot dogs? I still wouldn't expect Carnival to offer full sized steaks and 1lb lobsters to children.

On the example menu posted above it didn't include the items you just mentioned.? Shrimp cocktail and filet in my book are considered speciality. Where did you get nuggets and hot dogs? I still wouldn't expect Carnival to offer full sized steaks and 1lb lobsters to children.

The menu posted above is actually EXACTLY what I would expect for a kids specialty menu; similar items to the regular specialty menu but in kids sized portions.

What I wouldn't expect is to be charged $10 after Carnival says "Kids eat free in specialty".

I would not expect or think it appropriate for Carnival to offer full steaks or 1lb lobsters either. We are in agreement there.

The menu posted above is actually EXACTLY what I would expect for a kids specialty menu; similar items to the regular specialty menu but in kids sized portions.

What I wouldn't expect is to be charged $10 after Carnival says "Kids eat free in specialty".

I would not expect or think it appropriate for Carnival to offer full steaks or 1lb lobsters either. We are in agreement there.

According to the site children booked in a FHS still eat free. So I guess we agree now. [emoji3]

• 1 month later...

Bumping an old post because there isn't much activity recently. I'm shopping around for affordable, family-friendly options since RCI has raised their prices to the level of ridiculous and found the prices for a family of 5 in one of these suites to not be too terrible.

Does anyone have a solid floor plan for these suites yet? Where is the pullman bed? In the kids sofa bed area or in the main bed area? Does the divider close between the two areas? These are essential things to know as we'd prefer to have some division for sleeping.

It also seems a risk to book the cabin not knowing yet what sort of noise issues there will be. I can see a lot of families with babies booking this area (mine will be 7,9, and 11). I'm past the baby phase, and if the walls are thin enough to hear someone else's crying baby while trying to sleep it would make me not a happy camper. I'm assuming the cabin walls are thick, but can see an issue if they are not.

Edited by spazzyjanet

Bumping an old post because there isn't much activity recently. I'm shopping around for affordable, family-friendly options since RCI has raised their prices to the level of ridiculous and found the prices for a family of 5 in one of these suites to not be too terrible.

Does anyone have a solid floor plan for these suites yet? Where is the pullman bed? In the kids sofa bed area or in the main bed area? Does the divider close between the two areas? These are essential things to know as we'd prefer to have some division for sleeping.

It also seems a risk to book the cabin not knowing yet what sort of noise issues there will be. I can see a lot of families with babies booking this area (mine will be 7,9, and 11). I'm past the baby phase, and if the walls are thin enough to hear someone else's crying baby while trying to sleep it would make me not a happy camper. I'm assuming the cabin walls are thick, but can see an issue if they are not.

I Googled and looked at Images and it appears that the pullman will drop down over the sleeper sofa. There is a small wall separating the sitting area with the bed area so some privacy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never sailed Carnival and never sailed with a child. NCL has gotten ridiculous on prices, up charges etc.

If we book a regular balcony, will there be enough for an 8 yr old to do with out the Family Harbor lounge?

It makes sense to me that they put the noisy families under the noisy MDR and galley, but I don't know if I want to deal with all the noise. I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never sailed Carnival and never sailed with a child. NCL has gotten ridiculous on prices, up charges etc.

If we book a regular balcony, will there be enough for an 8 yr old to do with out the Family Harbor lounge?

It makes sense to me that they put the noisy families under the noisy MDR and galley, but I don't know if I want to deal with all the noise. I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is plenty to do outside the Family Harbor for kids. Between Camp Ocean, the waterworks, arcade, IMAX & thrill theaters, pools, sports deck, etc, there is no shortage of activities for kids.

I don't really think the Family Harbor will be much more noisy than any other area, really. It's possible there may be more kids running up & down the halls, but that would likely be more during the day. If anything, there will be fewer loud drunk 20-somethings staggering the hall late at night, which I've encountered previously

• 1 month later...

My best friend (an adult) and her parents have booked in the Family Harbour, without kids in their room. however, between the other two rooms in out party we do have four boys from 12-17, sailing with us and they wanted to remain close.

My best guess is that it'll happen, but most often when the traveling companions with kids are booking in the area too.

• 1 month later...

Any idea if drinks are available all day in the Harbor Lounge?

Also, the description indicates there are 'Video game consoles, games and movies available to check out'. Does that mean that you can hook up a video game console and/or DVD player to the TV in your stateroom? I know from previous research that is not common in most non-suite staterooms on CCL.

Also, the description indicates there are 'Video game consoles, games and movies available to check out'. Does that mean that you can hook up a video game console and/or DVD player to the TV in your stateroom? I know from previous research that is not common in most non-suite staterooms on CCL.

I was wondering the same thing in regards to the consoles.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for that info...I wonder if couples without kids will book these cabins?
\

We did and here's why. We will be on the 10/11 sailing out of Athens Greece. We've found very few children on fall cruises. Most have started back to school. As someone stated, yes the kids may run around during the day but loud drunks at 2AM can be a problem also (and not just on Carnival). The Dining Room above will have superior soundproofing between the floors & will be cleared out by 9ish and reset for breakfast by 10:30ish. We usually turn in around that time on port intensive itineraries like this one. Lastly, we really like the way it looks. We've booked 2482 which is all the way at the back, has 2 large windows and extra square footage for the same price as other cabins with the same amenities. As a bonus those rooms have 24 hour free ice cream. I'm bringing stretch pants !

In John's tour of the Oceanview cabin, he pointed out that the flat screens all have ports to hook up electronics. They are new tvs so they should have HDMI ports as well as USB.

What will be the noise factor in this area(not including kid noises). Being so low on the aft, will engine noise or wake noise be an issue? Also the Horizon is above so expect morning noise for breakfast?

\

We did and here's why. We will be on the 10/11 sailing out of Athens Greece. We've found very few children on fall cruises. Most have started back to school. As someone stated, yes the kids may run around during the day but loud drunks at 2AM can be a problem also (and not just on Carnival). The Dining Room above will have superior soundproofing between the floors & will be cleared out by 9ish and reset for breakfast by 10:30ish. We usually turn in around that time on port intensive itineraries like this one. Lastly, we really like the way it looks. We've booked 2482 which is all the way at the back, has 2 large windows and extra square footage for the same price as other cabins with the same amenities. As a bonus those rooms have 24 hour free ice cream. I'm bringing stretch pants !

I also booked a Family Harbor deluxe OV, 2489, for the 10/11 final Med sailing without children. Well, technically I'm cruising with my child (daughter) but she's 30something years old. :) We had the same rationale - few kids on a fall cruise in Europe, lounge and free ice cream, and we're looking forward to the decor and having the two (one and 3/4) bathrooms. It looks as if we'll be neighbors.