Christmas and New Year Cruises,

retiredbrit

I would be grateful if experienced cruisers could tell me how they have enjoyed Christmas and New Year Cruises, Is a special effort made to be festive? I am a sucker for all the trimmings – Christmas trees, decorations, carols, festive food, ringing in the New Year etc etc

We are on the Mercury through the Panama Canal, Christmas and New Year Cruises, in 06 / 07 I wonder if perhaps the celebrations will be American Style which may differ to UK I don't know but whatever form it takes it will be great.

Any general information welcome.

We will be in the Southern US states in two weeks time and we hope the current Hurricane don’t cause people in that area too much problem

regards Alan

apologies if I have duplicated this - but the machines are fighting back:)

I am taking a Christmas/New Year cruise this year on NCL Crown around Cape Horn. I have also been wondering what the ship will be done out like, in respect to decorations and so on. From what I have gathered so far, there are usually alot of decorations on board but still subtle enough for it not to be too over the top or tacky. I hope there will be carols and something special to see in the New Year too, I would think there will be.

Either way, this Christmas/New Year is going to be a very special one for me and I am looking forward to every minute of it :):)

We're going to be on the Island Princess in Dec/Jan. We heard the ship gets decorated and kids get a present. There's a New Years party (we'll be leaving Kona that afternoon and headed back to LA). Supposedly, the dining room will have special meals. We'll also be celebrating Hanukah at that time and I'm thinking about having my girl make a paper menorah (with velcro to attach the candles) so she won't miss out.

Hi all,

Even here in Asia, all the ships of Star Cruises are festively decorated for the Holidays.

They offer a beautiful Christmas Eve Dinner, carols throughout the ship, a special Christmas show, and Santa, or Father Christmas as you will, makes a surprise appearance Christmas morning and distributes gifts to all the children.

Poolside entertainment, with all the cruise staff dressed as Santa or his Elves, makes for a memorable holiday cruise. It is a great time to be aboard a ship.

Regards,

Mike--currently in TaiShan, China, and sailing Star Pisces on Friday.

We were on Celebrity's Century for Christmas and New Year's Eve last year. It was a wonderful cruise. We've also done holiday sailings on Royal Caribbean and Princess. Celebrity doesn't go all out with decorations. They were very subdued. But Santa came with his elves on Christmas morning and had presents for all the children.

New Year's Eve was fun. It was our second formal night of the cruise. They had a huge deck party around the pools. Plenty of free cheap champagne and little hors d'ouvres.The pool band played. And at midnight, they switched the digits in a huge ice sculpture to change the year from 2004 to 2005.

Since the Century usually did a 7-night cruise and ours was a 9-night, they had to add menus for two nights in the dining room. The special nights were Christmas and New Year's Eve. On the last night of our cruise, our maitre d' gave us the menus from those nights to keep.

My in laws described their New Year's cruise to us, it was on ROS and they were amazed at how lovely it was and how festive.

They were so impressed they took the entire family on the same ship this summer to Alaska---12 people. THAT was impressed, don't you think?

You won't be disappointed.

our first cruise was a short one that started on the 26th of december and ended on new years eve. we missed both holidays that year. last year, we were on a new years cruise (royal carib jewel) and it was awesome. first of all, eventhough we boarded on the 26th the ship was still all decked out and stunning. on new years eve they set up a huge screen in the centrum (the main lobby that goes up 7 decks). by 11:45 everyone on board was standing on one of the decks looking at the screen. there was live music playing and the excitement was amazing as well as the noise. at 11:59 they started the countdown on the screen. it was the closest thing to being in new york's times square!!! at midnight.......1000's of balloons were dropped from the ceiling. awesome simply awesome.

that was the good news ........ the bad news is how badly people behaved that night. completely drunk......leaving garbage all over the place......really not necessary.

we are cruising this december on the 24th on the serenade s now we'll see how christmas is actually done.

We took the Coral Princess last New Years eve (Panama canal cruise). We had so much fun being on the ship for New Years Eve that we booked the Sapphire Princess this year. The ship had their Christmas decoration up-trees, garland, lights. I think we celebrated New Years Eve every night. They had a pre-New years party a few days before the 31st. On the 31st, there were hats and noise makers at the dinner tables. Princess has a balloon drop in the atrium. There were hundreds of balloons at the top of the atrium. People were lining the stairs. We lucked out and got a spot on the ground level with the band. At midnight, the balloons were cut and came down on everyone. There were parties in all the bars and on the deck so you could choose where you wanted to be at midnight. The passengers were given a free glass of champagne. What was so nice is not having to get in a car and drive home after a New Years celebration. It was so much fun.

For the past 15 years we have sailed Christmas/ New Years. This year we are on the Liberty-Carnival because it does both...8days leaving the 24th returning the 1st. New Years is wonderful and festive! Although more expensive to cruise at this time,we like the experience.

From another retired Brit (twice actually, and I'm still working. How else to pay for cruises?) you'll have a great time. We were on Navigator over Xmas and New Year this year. The ship had lots of Xmas decorations which remained in place over the New Year. You'll get your turkey on Xmas Day (but no bread sauce, sorry) and there are other activities for kids like Santa Claus. There was a carol-sing at midnight but we were in bed by then. We thought Xmas was a bit low key (don't want to upset non-Christians?) but New Year's Eve was a blast. Silly hats and noise makers at formal dinner, free bubbly at midnight and as another poster said, it was the nearest thing to being in Times Square or maybe Princes Street (but warmer and drier). Streamers, balloons etc. Everybody was in a really good mood. Sure, the ship was full (all five cruises we have taken have been full) and there were lots of kids but we hardly ever saw them. You might even consider taking some Xmas decorations for your own cabin. Create your own festive spirit! Spot of port, old boy?

Archived