Heels? Silver Explorer in Antarctica

Brennagi

So dinners on the silver explorer have been described in a few forums as casual - even mentioning people in jeans in the dining room......silverseas website says a coat (for men) is required on 2 nights.

What is the reality of dinner dress? Should I be packing a few dresses and heels? (heels feel ridiculous next to all the technical base layer stuff) Does Dad really need a coat or would slacks and a sweater suffice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....we go next month. Can't wait!

I never wore "heels", but then I rarely do. I wear dressy flats and I felt more secure in them especially with some of the rough seas. My " elegant attire" is usually a dressy top, or jacket with sequins, beads or otherwise with basic black slacks and a shawl. There were those who wore only black and dressed it up with major bijoux.

On the two expeditions we were on, we always changed clothes in the evenings to dressier attire. I would say that many of the other Pax did as well. I admit I did see jeans at night in both the cocktail venue and at dinner and nothing was said to the Pax who wore them. The captains party was definitely more intense and the dress was ramped up with the expedition crew wearing cocktail dresses and heels, and the men in suits. I did see some couture clothes.

Attire at breakfast and lunch was usually jeans and sweaters. I went to cold climes.

I think one could be really frugal in packing if one wanted to, and accessorize with scarves or jewelry. If you are going to a cold climate, you will need the warm clothing which takes up space.

I admit, we overpacked but then we always do.

I would not bring heels on the Explorer to Antarctica. On many nights, they would be downright dangerous.

On our cruise in December, I only saw a few women with heels ever. The dress was all over the place, but I saw very few people truly gussied up.....a very different vibe from my

previous SS cruises. The tone of this cruise really is casual and the staff is so lovely and down to earth that I cannot imagine any dress code issues at all.

On the two dressier nights, I'd say that half of the men wore jackets, a few had suits

and one had a tuxedo. The rest wore sweaters/slacks. Women tended to wear blouses or nicer tops with pants or skirts and flat shoes.

This is one cruise in which you can do what is most comfortable, whatever that means for you.

As well, do not overpack. I definitely brought more than I needed and regretted having such

an unnecessary array of attire. It will also make packing easier....

Yes - anything will fit in anymore. All I cruise are expedition ships anymore and things are much more casual. Particularly, I think, with luggage restrictions. I cruised twice last year on expedition ships and for some reason was invited to the captain's table each time with different companies - one English and one U.S. I felt perfectly comfortable wearing white slacks and a fancy blouse with dressier type sandals. Would wear black slacks in a colder climate.