Sinorama Gold 8 Yangtze River cruise & Imperial China Tour

lamchops

I have a few other questions. My 80 year mother is thinking about joining us on our trip. How much walking is required on this trip? If an activity will involve too much walking for her, can she opt out?

She doesn't use a cane or walker, but moves slower than she used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Went on Sinorama tour this past November. There was quite a lot of trekking around, sometimes with your luggage. I think you want to be sure that folks are steady on their feet and have some stamina. Getting on and off the boat sometimes can be tricky with moving metal plates put across other barges for "gangplanks". Hope this helps

I have a few other questions. My 80 year mother is thinking about joining us on our trip. How much walking is required on this trip? If an activity will involve too much walking for her, can she opt out?

She doesn't use a cane or walker, but moves slower than she used to.

My husband was 80 when we went last year, and we also had a man with our group who used a cane to walk due to an injury. Both did fine. Yes we did a lot of walking....but no jogging or running, so it was good for all. If she's in good health, she'll be fine.

Thanks nansi and rere. If she joins us she will have both me and my husband, and her husband to help out with getting around.

Are either of you able to say if she can pick and choose what she does? Will she be able to hang out on the bus if an activity seems too challenging.

Thanks nansi and rere. If she joins us she will have both me and my husband, and her husband to help out with getting around.

Are either of you able to say if she can pick and choose what she does? Will she be able to hang out on the bus if an activity seems too challenging.

Really, the only activity that was challenging was climbing the great wall. However many people opted to just walk around at the base and not do any climbing. Staying on the bus may not be an option, as many times the bus drops everyone off and then leaves to park elsewhere and may not return for hours. I have a really bad back and can't stand in one place for any length of time without being in agony....I always found a spot to sit somewhere and I did fine. She'll be okay also...the tour guides take great care of everyone!

Hi ...So one of our group stayed at the hotel (not feeling well) one day . No issues with that t all. And also on the cruise you can opt to stay on the boat. When the boat is docked and folks are out to an excursion there is nothing to do on the boat , except relax which can be good Some folks did stay on the bus sometimes too.

Edited by rerepunim

• 5 weeks later...

Booked for March 18th ... Wonderful China..

Just wondering if anyone found a good white wine to purchase?

Does anyone have the price of the beer package on board?

If we are to purchase beer on shore what price are we looking at and can you barter on the price of beer/wine?

While on ship can you ask for a better price on a bottle of wine?

Some have mentioned boiling water in cabin, what would this be used for?

Is it possible to keep your balcony door open this time of year for a breeze, do they have screens to keep mosquitoes out?

Has anyone asked for an extra topper for the mattress and did it make any difference in the comfort of the bed?

Excited !!!!

Just wondering if anyone found a good white wine to purchase?

The wine selection was limited and I didn't buy any. The Chinese are very interested in wine so that may of changed.

Does anyone have the price of the beer package on board?

It was 1 free beer per person with dinner but I didn't check if there were packages.

If we are to purchase beer on shore what price are we looking at and can you barter on the price of beer/wine?

The beer cost us $1us a can at the pier store. No one was haggling.

While on ship can you ask for a better price on a bottle of wine?

I didn't see anyone haggling for wine.

Some have mentioned boiling water in cabin, what would this be used for?

A lot of Asian people like drinking plain hot water. DW brought her own tea bags from home.

Is it possible to keep your balcony door open this time of year for a breeze, do they have screens to keep mosquitoes out?

No screen doors that I can remember and mosquitoes were not an issue in May.

Has anyone asked for an extra topper for the mattress and did it make any difference in the comfort of the bed?

Didn't ask but suspect that they might not be available. I hope you are not expecting it to be like an ocean cruise with a large cruise line because it will be different.:)

Thanks for the response...just questions from what I've read on other sites.

Never cruised before so nothing to compare, we will go with the flow and I'm sure we will have a great time.

Thanks lamchops

Enjoyed your review!!

• 1 month later...

We are going on the Imperial China tour Sept. 2. Looking forward to it and really enjoyed your comments, which were very helpful. One question I have, would it be better to change our money to rmb in Canada or wait until we get to China?

We are going on the Imperial China tour Sept. 2. Looking forward to it and really enjoyed your comments, which were very helpful. One question I have, would it be better to change our money to rmb in Canada or wait until we get to China?

DW and I each got $1000rmb ($200cdn) in Vancouver as it is readily available. We also brought $200us in small bills. We used a credit card at the "tour " shops if she wanted to buy something.

Due to the action packed itinerary, we came home with some of each currency.

There's only so much street merchandise one can buy though DW tried. I spent $130rmb for a suitcase to bring her souvenirs home.🙄

• 1 month later...

What a great thread. Thanks lamchops and others for the useful information. We have just booked Sinorama Odyssey to the Cradle of Chinese Civilization 20 days which includes 10 days Yangtze River. May 16, 2018 departure. We booked at Sinorama Vancouver office and found the staff pleasant and helpful. Like some of you, we have no experience of group tours, so this will be new for us. Thanks again for the trip reports and helpful posts.

Sinorama Glorious China & Yangtze River (Three Gorges)15 days Review

I’m a newbie to Cruise Critic, but after reading Lambchops great summary of the Sinorama Tour, I thought I would write a review of the trip my wife and I undertook with Sinorama to China from 29 March 2017 to April17, apologies in advance if it’s too wordy or I repeat myself.

Tour Name - Sinorama Glorious China & Yangtze River (Three Gorges) 15 days.

March 29 – Depart Melbourne overnight flight to Shanghai

March 30 - Arrive Shanghai

March 31 – Shanghai (B L)

April 1 – Shanghai – Chongqing (B L D)

April 2 – Chongqing – Cruise (B L D)

April 3 – Yangtze River Cruise (B L D)

April 4 - Yangtze River Cruise (B L D)

April 5 - Yangtze River Cruise (B L D)

April 6 - Yangtze River Cruise – Jinzhou – Wuhan (B L D)

April 7 – Wuhan – Xi’an (B D)

April 8 – Xi’an (B L)

April 9 – Xi’an – Beijing (B L)

April 10 – Beijing (B L)

April 11 – Beijing (B L D)

April 12 – Beijing – Melbourne (B)

(Included Meals – B breakfast L lunch D dinner)

Day 1

Departed Melbourne @23.30, with Southern China Airlines. 1 stop at Guangzhou after 9 ½hour flight where we needed to clear China Immigration for 2hour 20 min flightto Shanghai. We got caught up with the immigration line and whilst it was 2 hours from arrival to departure, we literally got to the Shanghai flight gate and boarded straight away. Found Southern China to be quite a reasonable airline, would class them as full service, plane seem relatively new and space in economy OK. The plane from Melbourne was an airbus A330, with a 2x4x2 configuration in economy. Originally we were allocated two seats in the middle 4 seats, however as I could not change the seats on-line, a phone call to China Southern in Sydney, and $38AUD later we were allocated two seats by the window.

Day 2

Arrived at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport. Easily found the Sinorama guide at the airport, after collecting our luggage. (quick note here, whilst China Southern allow 23kgs, we packed our bags to be under 20kgs, as this is the limit for the internal flights within China, and the bags are weighed each time at the airports). Once our group from Melbourne and also from Sydney gathered, we were taken by bus to our hotel in Shanghai, which took about 90 minutes. This was the Crown Plaza Lake Malaren Shanghai. This is where we met our national guide for the whole tour, Ms Lily, and also the other 30 people from our tour, who were all Aussie based. The afternoon/evening is free time and we found that the hotel is surrounded by a golf course and is a long long way from downtown Shanghai. We walked around the area, where there are a few restaurants, but we couldn’t find anything in English, so decided after a few hours of walking in the rain to dine back at the hotel and rest up with a wine that we had bought at Melbourne airport …….very adventurous with a “Aussie Style Burger”. A few others in the group ate out at some eateries near a metro subway train station which is about 2 to 3 kms from the hotel, and from where you could get a train to downtown Shanghai. The hotel offered free Wi-Fi in thelobby/common areas, but as wife was a member of Priority Club loyalty program,we got free Wi-Fi in our room.

Day 3

Nice breakfast at the hotel (western and eastern choices) and then we were on a bus to visit the Bund area in Shanghai, a visit to a silk factory which had a sales area, lunch, a visit to the Shanghai Museum, then to another sales experience of cashmere tapestries, and then to Nanjing Road for some free time. We walked down a couple of the streets off Nanjing Road and purchased a few souvenirs (silk scarves and other knick knacks) as they were a lot cheaper than we had seen at the designated shop stops. We had booked the optional tour, an Acrobatics Show, which included dinner, which both wife and I found most entertaining.(cost was $40AUD pp if purchased pre departure). Back to hotel around 9.30pm

Day 4

After breakfast, checkout from the Crowne Plaza, and on a bus to the airport. This took around 2hours. Group check-in for flight toChongqing which saved a few fellow tourers from paying for excess of 20kg luggage as the whole groups weigh in was averaged. Flight with Sichuan airlines was around 3 hours and included lunch, chicken, rice and some other condiments, which I was“unsure” about. After landing in Chongqing and collecting the luggage we were on a bus to the local zoo. Traffic was very busy as it was a publicholiday long weekend (Tomb Sweeping Festival). Upon arrival at the zoo we were allowed some free time, and our main purpose here was to view the Pandas. We were very lucky as they had all just been provided with some bamboo and all of them were out eating, great photo opportunity and certainly not a let down. Back on the bus for a visit to Ciqikouold town, again with some free time, which looking back we should have used to purchase souvenirs. Then off to dinner by the river, and then off to our hotel, the Marriott, which I understand was pretty new, and our room was one of the best either my wife or I had stayed in, very spacious and the view was panoramic of downtown and the river which was a hive of activity at night. As it had been along day and we had managed to procure some beverages (an Australian McWilliams red cab/sav wine at around 90 RMD) after dinner at a shop nearby the dinner restaurant, wife and I had a “debrief” and refreshment in our room admiring the view. There is a Skybar at the hotel on the 50th floor which gives a 360 degree view of Chongqing, and the hotel provides free Wi-Fi including in the rooms. A few of the others from our group wandered downto the river bank area that evening.

Day 5

After another nice breakfast (again western and eastern choices), we had a few hours freetime, which we used to explore the river bank area, and saw about 10 weddings happening, with a mix of modern and traditional dress, before lunch and then embarking to our cruise boat. Our boat was the Sinorama Gold 3, built 2012 and capacity 570. Our cruise was made up from only Sinorama tour groups, around 13, so approx. 390 passengers, which the boat easily took. Staff where very friendly and the cabin, whilst a little dated, was very spacious, especially the bathroom which to me was a full size shower cubicle (I’ve only got a cruise on the NCL Pride of Americato compare). All rooms had a balcony. Our room on level 4, we discovered, was underneath the bar area on level 5, so we had the occasional loud bang from above, nothing untoward though. All meals were during a set time that spanned 90 minutes, and to help thin out the queues, passengers were split into two groups, with one of the group’s dinning time starting 30 minutes after the 1st. This helped a little but prepare to queue as the buffet is set out on a long table in the middle of the dining room. Hint, there are options at breakfast, lunch and dinner at two stations on the left and right of the dining hall entrance which offered, for example, fried eggs, omelette, dumplings etc., and you could go to these and bypass the queues, and then go back to the buffet afterwards. Food was plentiful and constantly replenished. The cruise left at 7.00pm and the lights of Chongqing and the other boats on the river, lit up with LED lighting was a great vista.

When you embark the vessel there are numerous drink packages that are offered so I have put below the pricing for the wine and beer packages:

“Buy 4 wines get a French Red for Free”

The wine price on board was:

French White 268RMD or 298 RMD

French Red 298RMD

Aussie Shiraz 298RMD

The free French Red was valued at 298 RMD, so 5 bottles for circa 1200 RMD

Beer Packages

“Buy 10 get 2 free” 40 RMD per bottle, so 12 bottles for 400RMD (selection included 330 ml of Heineken, Corona, Bud)

“Buy 10 get 4 free” 30 RMD per can. 500 ml can of local Chongqing beer (mid strength)

Also on level 2 there was a small shop that sold local Chinese beer in 500ml can for either 20 RMD or 30 RMD depending on the beer strength.

Day 6

Cruising the river, with a stop at the Shibaozhai (Red)Pagoda. The walk from the pier to the entrance of the Red Pagoda is jammed with vendors selling all sorts of goods and souvenirs, all are willing to barter and the rough guideline was to pay around 30% - 40% of what was the original price. We purchased quite a few gifts here and an example of the pricing was for a painted snuff bottle offered at280 RMD, which we got down to 85 RMD, and then bought 2 for a total of 150 RMD. You know you’ve offered to low a price when you are allowed to walkaway, and are not called back!

Day 7

Cruising through the 3 Gorges, with an excursion on smaller boats up through a tributary of the Yangtze, this was one of many highlights of the tour. Back on the Gold 3, cruising and then in the afternoon a land excursion to the Three Gorges Dam and hydro project. Also here you get to see the 5 stage ship-lock which we sailed through later that night. Another opportunity to get gifts from the various vendors that are set up near the dam lookouts. Late that night we commenced entry into the 5 stage lock, around 11pm and stayed up to enter stage 2, which was well after mid night, but well worth it.

Day 8

Cruising, and this was a bit of a leisurely day. The weather had turned so it was raining, and the scenery was a little more industrial, so a good chance to catch up on some reading. Wi-Fi was available to purchase on the ship, but could only be accessed in the level 2 lobby. (Unsure of the cost).

Day 9

Got of the ship after breakfast at Jingzhou. Tour by coach of the city, including the opportunity to explore the ancient wall of this city. In the afternoon we travelled by bus to Wuhan, and checked into our hotel, Howard Johnson Pearl Plaza, which was in a great location, on the river. After diner the opportunity to explore the riverbank area and adjoining busy side streets. This hotel also had a skybar in its globe that sits atop the hotel tower, but we headed back to our room which we thought had a better view, as again we had the river and downtown vista, for another “debrief”. (Free Wi-Fiin the room.)

Day 10

After another nice breakfast, we depart for the Wuhan train station to catch a high speed train to Xi’an. We travel the country side at around 300kph for around 5 hours. You could get some food and drinks on board (Beer 20 RMD – 30 RMD depending onstrength for a 500ml can) albeit most of our group bought their own supplies purchased at a highway freeway stop the previous day. Following arrival in Xi’an we were taken to the restaurant for dinner, but my wife, I and two others from the tour had arranged a separate food tour with Lost Plate, so we departed the group for the evening. (I and my wife would thoroughly recommend the LostPlate Food Tours, check the website and also reviews, it was a greate xperience). We were booked into The Holiday Inn Big Goose Pagoda hotel, which was again a nice hotel with free Wi-Fi available in the rooms.

Day 11

After yet another nice breakfast, we are back on a bus for some free time around the Big Goose Pagoda, again a chance to buy souvenirs and gifts, followed by a visit to a Jade factory with the opportunity to purchase items. After lunch we are off to a Terracotta Warriors factory, where we did buy some terracotta warrior souvenirs and also some jade items that were a lot cheaper than at the jade factory! Then off to the Terracotta Warrior site,which was absolutely amazing, if not a little bit overwhelming taking in all of what has been unearthed and how old the statues are. This night had an optional tour of a dumpling dinner after a Tang Dynasty Dancing Show, which we did not take up. We along with another couple found our own dumplings in a little restaurant near the hotel, which was also byo and all up we spent around 50 RMD for about 3 serves (30 or so) pork and beef dumplings, that satisfied all 4 of our appetites, and again no upset tummy in the morning. The four of us then got a taxi to the Muslim Quarter to go through the markets we had seen the night before. The taxi was around 15 RMD each way to/fromthe hotel.

Day 12

Up early for breakfast then off to the airport for a flight with China Eastern to Beijing. Check-in had been arranged by the tour guide soour seats for the flight were all over the plane, so did not sit with wife on this flight. Upon arrival in Beijing, we were on a bus and a visit to the hutong area, where we took a fun rickshaw ride through the alleyways. Lunch was at a local’s house, then back to the bus and a visit to the Summer Palace and the Imperial Garden. Then off to book into our hotel the Beijing West International Trade Hotel. This place was in an industrial part of the city, and a long long way out of downtown Beijing. There is am etro subway station nearby (Niwa on line 10) which required a couple of transfers to get into Beijing central. We didn’t undertake the trip but those in the group that did, said the subway was easy to transverse with details shown in English. Hint here is to print a copy of the subway map from google before you leave as there were no pocket maps available at the station.

Day 13

After breakfast we are off to the Great Wall, but first we visit a freshwater pearl factory, and then a Cloisonne factory where we had lunch. Arrived at the Great Wall after lunch and given free time. We climbed to Fortress number 9, then I managed a further 3 turrents. The wall is truly anamazing spectacle. We took up the optional Beijing night tour and dinner ($40 AUD pp), were we visited the Watercube and the Birdsnest Olympic venues the off to an “eating street” where literally everything to eat was for sale (scorpions, spiders etc etc).Opportunity to pick up gifts and souvenirs from some of the shops adjacent the eateries, and you could barter.

Day 14

After breakfast, visit to the Temple of Heaven then lunch on Tiananmen Square. A walk through the square followed lunch and then to the Forbidden City, made for a great day. A final buffet style dinner for the group was put on at the Hotel.

Day 15

After breakfast, some free time and then off to the airport for the journey home. Not quite enough time to venture to downtown Beijing on the subway, so a walk around the hotel area confirmed that not much in the way of “tourist” shops, so you want to make sure you have done your shopping beforehand. We got to the airport early and with a journey on Sichuan Airlines, via a stopover in Chengdu, we sort of lost 24 hours, so a long drawn out journey home, but for the cost we can’tcomplain.

General comments

This was our first organised tour, and we were pleasantly surprised. We booked via an exceptional offer on Travel Zoo. Our National tour guide Ms Lily was great, and in each city/excursion we had a local guide, all of whom were knowledgeable. We saw a lot in the short time, but expect some long days where you are out of the hotel by 8am and not back until 8pm or a little later. Not every day but a few. Had we known this before hand we would have packed differently, as we were expecting to be able to change/freshen up after a day of activity for dinner. The organised food was plentiful, but a little bland for our taste, and was a little repetitive, but it needed to suit the whole of the group. You could spice it up with chilli paste. ATM’s at most ofthe hotels we stayed at, which I used in Chongqing and Beijing, as we took some 2500 RMD (approx. $500 AUD) with us. We found out after a few days that at most hotels and even on the cruise whilst there is an aircon management unit in eachroom, the temperature is overridden so of little use. On each bus tour the driver and guide organise water and beer, kept cold in an electric cooler. Beers were 5 RMD and water 3 for 10 RMD. Also we did try some of the local red wine, Great Wall Dry Red, one priced at 65 RMD and the other (cab sav merlot blend) 85RMD, the later we found quaffable. Only other comment would be on tipping, the Sinorama info sheets state all tipping is included except for the rickshaw riders in Beijing where it is suggested to tip 10 RMD pp. However we found that there was an expectation to tip the local guides and also the national guide at the end of the trip.

Overall both the wife and I had a great trip and loved what we saw of China.

We have booked the Imperial China tour and also booked 2 optional tours (dumpling banquet and acrobatic chow). The one optional tour we DID NOT book is the Beijing at night tour as we figured that is the only night we have free that we can do something on our own. Am wondering if the Bejing night tour is worth booking. Would appreciate comments. Thanks

jaytee4349, my wife an I undertook the optional Beijing Night Tour and Dinner. It was after we had visited the Great Wall, so we had done some exercise during the day. The Night Tour consisted of visiting the Olympic Venue, where we saw the Birdnest Stadium and the Water Cube swimming complex, both from a viewing platform a little distance away. Afterwards we had dinner and then to the "eating street" (Wangfujing Snack Street, I think it was called) where we had some free time, to view what was on offer at the stalls and also visit the shops that align the stalls, for gifts/souvenirs. Afterwards we drove back to the hotel, via Tiananmen Square. Wife and I both enjoyed the night, wasn't overly strenuous. Another couple we were with, had caught the subway the previous night, into Beijing and had made their way to the eating street venue. If you have something specific you would like to see on your free night then I would suggest to do some pre-planning and decide your route to get to the place/s via the subway, as the train maps are available via google. The hotel we stayed at only provided maps which were in Chinese, so little use to us. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I decided to try to breath life back into this thread just to see if anyone has any great post-trip suggestions. My husband and i leave in about a month on the Wild China tour. The info I was given for the flight credit was wrong as we were given $500 each rather than the $200 I had been quoted originally.

I am curious about getting laundry done because the 20KG weight limit means that we will have to do some. Are there washing machines on the Sinorama 3?

• 2 weeks later...

Questions keep coming up as we are about 16 days until departure.

Do we need to bring power converters with us, or should we just pick them up there? We are bringing unlocked old cell phones and will buy SIM cards in the airport so we will need to charge our phones and Fitbit watches and an electric razor.

I second buying the converters; the hotels we stayed at were a mish mash of plugs, so better to be safe before you leave. Just be sure they can handle the wattage you need. I would also suggest before you commit to buying Chinese SIM cards, call your cell phone provider--we just had them activate an international plan on our iPhones, and they worked fine, at a fairly reasonable rate even for data. (But be sure you follow the provided instructions for turning off automatic refresh on the apps.)

We have Sprint. If your niece recommended it, may have some advantages I'm unaware of, I'm just more comfortable using what I know versus trying to figure out a new system and the uncertainty with the Chinese language. Just wanted to provide another option that worked for us. Either way, have a great trip!

I called Verizon, in case anyone else is reading this. They have a plan that includes 100 minutes of calling (Chinese numbers as well as US), 100 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming texts and 100mg of data for $40. Unfortunately 100mg is enough for just a few emails and each additional 100mg is $25. That could get expensive fast if we can't find free wi-fi.

As we have kids in the US and family in other countries that we will need to stay in touch with via WhatsApp and wechat we will need more data.