Price Reductions Close to Sailing

barbjd106

Hi I am scheduled to leave on Sunday for a cruise. The price currently goes down significantly and on a daily basis for the cabin I chose.

I called yesterday to complain nicely. I was awarded on OBC. Now today the price went down again significantly.

They said yesterday that the lowest price guarantee was only for the period of greater than 75 days prior to sailing.

Any suggestions? Should I call again or is there something else I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Barbara

Your other option is to upgrade your cabin. As our TA cruise approached, the price dropped several times. Each time the price for the next higher category was advertised at a price lower than what we booked for I contacted our PCC and was upgraded for free. Went from inside to port hole to balcony to mini-suite. Got no OBC or money back but certainly enjoyed the mini.

We're new to cruising having booked the Getaway in May. For those that experience a price drop and have acquired an OBC - was this through your TA or from NCL direct?

If you booked through a TA, you must go through the TA

Holy mackerel! From an interior to a mini suite! Now my question is, why ever book above an interior?????

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It all depends on when you book and what you originally paid. We booked when the price was the highest as we needed to secure that cruise and dates. Our price was about $850pp where some scored an inside for half that price by booking two months earlier. It's a gamble...if there are rooms still open near sailing, the price will drop. People that booked last minute paid about $850 for the mini. Problem is that you never know when the ship will be booked to capacity. It could just have easily turned out with us still in the inside cabin for $850pp.

With any cruise line putting a bit more on the table should help with changes after final.

The free/cheap upgrade is likely to be more forthcoming than some price drop OBC. as you get close.

Never book a cabin you won't be happy with at a price you are not happy with, with the expectation you will be able to sort it out with upgrades.

If location on the ship is an important factor then consider that any upgrade option may be on a GTY basis.

This can be particularly risky with obstructed OV deck 8 GTY on Jewel class, could find yourself forward on deck 4/5 with an unobstructed porthole.

Last minute price reductions are intended to sell out the last few remaining cabins. If you got some OBC, or occasionally an upgrade (depending on how many unsold cabins remain), you're fortunate. All of the many previous booked cabins certainly cannot now have refunds given them. Not the way it works. Airlines and so many businesses operate with this last minute "fire sale" model. The choice is to wait and book at the last minute. But just as often, the closer to sailing you get, the higher the prices have become. And you sure don't want the business to then call you and request the now higher fare difference from your previous bookings, do you. And the availability of the preferred cabins will frequently be gone. And...your personal schedule, whether you can get away at the last minute, and last minute airline fares, this all must be considered. Choices. But after final payment, what you bought is yours...although certainly nothing wrong with trying for a bit of OBC.

Edited by roger001