What "must see" excursion on which island??

jamincruiser

My husband and I are going on our first Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan (Carnival Liberty) to Barbados, St. Kitt, St. Lucia, St. Marteen, St. Thomas. We want a variety of excursions (ATV, zipline, catamaran, scuba, sightseeing, hiking/exploring, shopping or relaxing in the sun sippin' on rum! What is best on which island? Clearly, we don't want to zipline on 2 places but want the best choice for each activity! One day, one island. Never having been, we want to do the "musts" on each island, experiencing it all... Is it best to book through the cruise line or does anyone have suggestions for this also? Advise??

My husband and I are going on our first Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan (Carnival Liberty) to Barbados, St. Kitt, St. Lucia, St. Marteen, St. Thomas. We want a variety of excursions (ATV, zipline, catamaran, scuba, sightseeing, hiking/exploring, shopping or relaxing in the sun sippin' on rum! What is best on which island? Clearly, we don't want to zipline on 2 places but want the best choice for each activity! One day, one island. Never having been, we want to do the "musts" on each island, experiencing it all... Is it best to book through the cruise line or does anyone have suggestions for this also? Advise??

This will require some real research on your part. I would suggest reading and posting your questions on the ports of call board and also reading the reviews of the ports of call in the review section here on cc.

For tender ports I think booking and excursion through the ship makes sense because its less hassles and you can get off earlier. You will not likely tender at any of your ports. The only port on your itinerary where a ships excursion would be wise is if you want to visit the neighbouring island of St. John's from St Thomas. For St. Thomas I think that St. John 's is the "must".

Keep in mind that what's a must for me might not be for you.:)

Barbados the Jolly Roger pirate ship tour was a fun time. Snorkel with sea turtles. Rope swing. Walk the plank.

St Maarten they say Maho Beach is a must see, but it doesn;t interest me so I have never been. Or famous nude Orient Beach. In December we toured in "scoot coupes" and we had a blast and will definitely do that again! Or, the beach right near the ship has plenty of jet ski rentals.

St Thomas has plenty.

Have fun planning - you will find LOTS of advice on the port threads.

Barbados-Jolly Roger(most fun I have ever had on an exursion. Jumpong off the pirate ship, gallons of rum punch, trying to tip the boat over on the way back, fun, fun, fun)

St Thomas-scuba one of the wrecks. Tons of fish and turtles. Not as good a dive place as Belize, but really good.

St Kitts-sorry I can't remember the name of the beach, but ask a cabbie. It was a small beach down a mountain road with a coral wall about 75 yards off the beach. The snorkeling was amazing on the wall(about 15 feet deep) with fish and lobsters everywhere. The guys in the little food shack told us to bring back lobsters and they would cook them for us, we got 2. Also the little monkeys on the beach were something to see, they eat out your hand.

As has been said, there is much info on the port forums.

These are our personal likes:

Old San Juan- walking tour

Barbados- Carlisle Bay- beach and snorkeling and catamaran

St. Kitts- sightseeing

St. Lucia- tour with good driver - Pitons

St. Maarten/St. Martin - island tour and beach- Orient or Mullet

St. Thomas- water sports- trip to St. John for snorkeling