Breakaway? Should I be scared?

ARI421

Considering booking the breakaway in march before we loose the free drink package, it looks so huge and I am nervous! I have to pre book shows? What about dining in the main dining room? Any tips or general info ? There are adult areas? And haven deck? I did a search but didn't come up with much, I am used to the gem and dawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on both Breakaway and Getaway. You absolutely nothing to be scared of except figuring which restaurants to eat in.

If you are staying in the Haven, you have a restaurant to dine in that is only available to Haven guest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nothing to be scared of ---- we were on Getaway (Breakaway sister ship) week of Jan 17th and it was our best cruise ever. Although the ships are big there are really only 6, well 7 if your stateroom isn't on one of the 6) decks you even need to think about. Pretty much everything is on 6, 7 and 8 and 15, 16 and 17. Here is a link to easy to read drag it decks Breakaway page so you can see what I mean.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/dragdeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Breakaway&zoom=1

Only two sets of elevators, forward and aft. At least on the Getaway in the passenger hallways Fish Swim Forward - was so happy to see that again :) Do some reading of some of the major Breakaway / Getaway photo reviews or just go to youtube and watch some of the videos to get a feel for the ship.

We have no problem with main dining rooms and ate in both Taste and Savor on the Getaway. We also ate in specialty restaurants Le Bistro, Cagney's and La Cucina and at the Illusionarium show/dinner. Had prime rib dinner one night at O'Sheehans that was very good. The entire week there was only one meal I'd call bad - a fish dish dinner in the main dining room. Everything else was good to really good to excellent.

We haven't sailed the BA or the GA for many of the same fears. Like you, we enjoy the Jewel class ships. We just got off the Epic & hated the ship design because it was too big, too crowded & you had to pre-book shows. We didn't know this & were closed out of almost everything. Bigger wasn't better for us but from the deck plans alone, the BA & the BA look like they are designed better.

We sailed Breakaway last summer and had our best cruise ever.

Study the public deck plans for all public decks (6, 7, 8, 15, 16) and the deck your stateroom is on and you will be fine.

We were a family group of 10 and had no trouble being seated in the Manhattan Room (aft main dining room) at one table.

We had a blast!!

She's a big beautiful ship with an awesome crew.

P.S. We had so much fun we are booked again on BA this year.

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

We considered rccl our favorite, however, Breakaway will be the first ship we repeat! Best ship ever! And if you can swing it, the haven is the way to go! We are essentially doing our breakaway cruise over-same aft haven penthouse and everything! So excited!!

i'm with the OP - i've been going back and forth. i've cruised four times but only on small ships - CCLs Sensation and RCLs Monarch. dh really wants to cruise on some of the big ships - Breakaway, Oasis, etc. we live on long island so cruising out of NY would mean a vacation without flying - which would be amazing. i'm glad to see so many people saying we're nervous for no reason :)

The new sale starting Feb. 1st will also include the free bee ergae package as an option. Don't panic.

Breakaway is a great ship. Only place that feels crowded is the pool area ( such a bad design). Rest of the ship is great and we had no problems getting in to anything. Yes. Pre- book shows but you won't be totally locked out if you don't. Main dining room occasionally had small waits but generally it was fine. Don't worry.

The Gem is our favorite ship. The differences between the Gem and the BA. The pool area on BA much smaller....the theater is much smaller (no second level) no great outdoors (BA has smaller inside grill area) no Spinnaker Lounge...so alot...alot of events held in the Atrium. ..which becomes packed and loud (people sit on the floor at some events) No latitudes party (no area big enough to hold it in)..Most areas on the BA are smaller.....but the BA is very modern with touch screen all around the ship (no more carrying around the dallies) great shows (yes you should pre book - but easily changed on board with the touchscreen . Great outdoor stuff....rope climbing...slides etc. Ship is large but well laid out. It does feel crowded sometimes . It's a hard choice

The Gem is our favorite ship. The differences between the Gem and the BA. The pool area on BA much smaller....the theater is much smaller (no second level) no great outdoors (BA has smaller inside grill area) no Spinnaker Lounge...so alot...alot of events held in the Atrium. ..which becomes packed and loud (people sit on the floor at some events) No latitudes party (no area big enough to hold it in)..Most areas on the BA are smaller.....but the BA is very modern with touch screen all around the ship (no more carrying around the dallies) great shows (yes you should pre book - but easily changed on board with the touchscreen . Great outdoor stuff....rope climbing...slides etc. Ship is large but well laid out. It does feel crowded sometimes . It's a hard choice

Latitudes Party on Breakaway is held at H20..:)

Members Only Cocktail Party

(Not available on Norwegian Sky, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway or Norwegian Getaway)

This from the NCL latitude program page...

when we were on there was no latitude party....only a welcome birthday/celebration party in Spice H2O. I do hope they changed it...Cuz we really missed no latitude party..especially the wine and cheese party for gold/platinum

i'm with the OP - i've been going back and forth. i've cruised four times but only on small ships - CCLs Sensation and RCLs Monarch. dh really wants to cruise on some of the big ships - Breakaway, Oasis, etc. we live on long island so cruising out of NY would mean a vacation without flying - which would be amazing. i'm glad to see so many people saying we're nervous for no reason :)

We loved the Breakaway so much, we are sailing on Getaway for NYE. Yes - cruising out of NY is a pleasure. Easy to get to the port, easy to board, easy to debark. We may even book the BA again this summer. There is no comparison between the Sensation and BA. We loved the BA slides, ropes course, dining options, and the entertainment blows away CCL. (Howl at the Moon and Second City are great, Rock of Ages, Cirque show, Burn the Floor, etc.) You can book dining and shows before boarding, so you don't have to worry about being closed out. Many people on our BA cruise didn't know this, and most of the later dining options were closed out when they tried to make reservations on board. If you do your research, read threads, there are many good tips to be found. We cruised the Epic this past Christmas (it was fine) and Gem out of NY last summer - just to get a change from Bermuda itinerary. Definitely like BA the best of the 3, which is why we booked her over the Escape for next December.

The new sale starting Feb. 1st will also include the free bee ergae package as an option. Don't panic.

Breakaway is a great ship. Only place that feels crowded is the pool area ( such a bad design). Rest of the ship is great and we had no problems getting in to anything. Yes. Pre- book shows but you won't be totally locked out if you don't. Main dining room occasionally had small waits but generally it was fine. Don't worry.

Are you sure the free beverage package will be offered in Feb?

Nothing to be scared of ---- we were on Getaway (Breakaway sister ship) week of Jan 17th and it was our best cruise ever. Although the ships are big there are really only 6, well 7 if your stateroom isn't on one of the 6) decks you even need to think about. Pretty much everything is on 6, 7 and 8 and 15, 16 and 17.

This is such an important point to keep in mind. My only NCL experiences so far were also on the Dawn and the Gem, but we now have Breakaway booked for July. My boyfriend and I were a little nervous about it being such a big ship, but once I studied the deck plans I said, "Well, we only will ever be on about six decks, so who cares if the ship is bigger?!" :p I know that there will be some differences from our past experiences, but as I read more and more about the ship, I just keep getting more excited! :D

Considering booking the breakaway in march before we loose the free drink package, it looks so huge and I am nervous! I have to pre book shows? What about dining in the main dining room? Any tips or general info ? There are adult areas? And haven deck? I did a search but didn't come up with much, I am used to the gem and dawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just want to add a few points that others have not covered. I went on the Breakaway last April and I was a little nervous about the ship being so huge. I do not hate crowds, I just hate waiting. The only days we dealt with crowds was the first night in the Manhattan Room. We had reservations, but the line was massive and not organized. It never was like that again. We had reservations for the first night and one sea day. Otherwise, we just walked in and was given a table. We liked the decor of the Manhattan room and ate dinner there often.

Because we were on a spring break cruise, Entourage the teen club was full and we registered right away. My daughter had a great time, but she has had better times on the smaller ship in Entourage.

The other crowded day was FL. Having been on a Jewel class ship(smaller, smaller lines for buses to Cocoa Beach. It rained and everyone headed back to the boat. We could not get on because it was also lightning. This was horrible!

My last crowded issue was actually with my cabin and steward. I do not honestly know if it was because the ship was so big, but this is the first time on a cruise that I did not leave my steward an extra tip. If something was wrong in the cabin, I called. I had to call a few times for pool towels, robes, cabin made up and I did everything that was posted on the information in the cabins. My steward was trying to be nice, by telling me what to do in order to get x,y, or z. I was so tired of telling my steward that I did all of the right things, that by mid week I gave up. I smiled, noded my head and kept walking. Nice guy, but I found this part of service lacking and attributed it to the larger ship. During CC meet and greet, I mentioned this to the supervisor.

If you like to walk, realize that the elevators are crowded(on all cruise ships) and we walked the steps alot. I love to walk so I did not mind. I did 10 to 16 often that I ran out of Tylenol(LOL) My mom who is 80 is coming this time and I will probably have to use the elevators more.

One great thing on debarkation in NY, my daughter and I walked off the back of the ship and was off the ship in customs in 2 minutes. The fastest on any cruise ship ever. Everyone was going off the main entrance(with the Breakaway crew saying thanks.)

Otherwise Enjoy!!

Absolutely positive. New sale starts Feb. 1st, ends Feb 28 and includes same options currently offered with a new "choice" being Kids Sail Free

Thanks! I shall wait a week or so then before booking. $799 for a balcony on the Epic is a good deal, but I feel like it'll go lower.