Car rental

nkochrn

I think by the time we rent the car for the round trip plus add the cost of motor coach or train that we're spending just as much, so we'll just rent from Avis. (Although the train would be a cool experience :))

I think by the time we rent the car for the round trip plus add the cost of motor coach or train that we're spending just as much, so we'll just rent from Avis. (Although the train would be a cool experience :))

Even if just a possibility, reserve the car NOW. Cars are in very short supply and sometimes sell out months in advance.

Someone could make a fortune arranging to book cars and trade off in Whittier with people coming in, returning it to where-ever it was rented. The drop off charge is nearly as much as the rental- or in some cases more. And try as I might, I have yet to find a coupon that helps even a little bit. But it is so nice to be able to get around on your own that we have one booked for August. $200 a day. Ugh.

Someone could make a fortune arranging to book cars and trade off in Whittier with people coming in' date=' returning it to where-ever it was rented. The drop off charge is nearly as much as the rental- or in some cases more. And try as I might, I have yet to find a coupon that helps even a little bit. But it is so nice to be able to get around on your own that we have one booked for August. $200 a day. Ugh.[/quote']

Trouble is ... the drivers name has to be on the rental contract.

And keep in mind that the business only has 4 months to operate, mid-may to mid-Sept so it would be pretty hard to make a fortune unless you charged the equivalent of the one-way drop off fee.

Have you thought about posting to your roll call to find someone with similar interests and flight time?

Edited by mapleleaves

Have you thought about posting to your roll call to find someone with similar interests and flight time?

That's a good thought! Our roll call has not been real busy yet, but when I checked into rental from Avis for July 16th-18th with p/u in anchorage and drop off in Whittier it came to $296 for an economy car so I think I'll go ahead and get it booked! Thanks for all the help :)

There are so many great options for touring between anchorage and Whittier...we enjoyed the crow creek mine, the Alyeska tram, scanning for beluga whales in turnagain arm, the alaska wildlife center, and the portage glacier boat tour and visitors center. Doing all of this requires a rental car, but it was one of our favorite days, well worth the expense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app