Singapore - Videos of my country that I made

Iluvcruising2

Some bumboats. This is Changi Point, near Changi Ferry Terminal, where you can take those bumboats to Pulau Ubin, an island off Singapore.

[YOUTUBE]PyYtLh-N53Y[/YOUTUBE]

Back to the mainland, this is a cheap Sushi restaurant at Clementi Mall (linked to Clementi MRT station). Each plate cost $1.50. Very awesome food.

[YOUTUBE]BH3N1ggryDY[/YOUTUBE]

Same place, Clementi Mall and Clementi town center. Starbucks recently renovated their cafe, and now they have introduced Starbucks Reserve. Also show you the skyscrapers coming up. More and more public housing.

[YOUTUBE]lvXIKWJ3edA[/YOUTUBE]

A new store in Clementi Mall basement (where there is plenty of food). They call this place "Wok Hey". Check out the cook preparing fried rice a la minute. Nice.

[YOUTUBE]jA2Yb31sQxc[/YOUTUBE]

Google moves to new office in Singapore to house growing team

The US tech giant started operations in Singapore with only 24 people in 2007. The team has since grown to 1,000, and is its fastest-growing office in Asia Pacific.

The office is now located at the Maple Tree Business Park, near the Alexandra Retail Park (nearest MRT is Labrador Park on the Circle Line). Check out the cool signage, which reads Google from one angle, and Welcome from another angle. I took this video when I went there for a walk.

7o7flbalgwc

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/google-moves-to-new-office-in-singapore-to-house-growing-team-7686728

I came to this forum looking for information on Singapore and wow, you've done a fabulous job with your videos!

We have not selected a hotel yet and have been looking at the various locations. We don't need ultra luxury but would prefer at least a 4 star property. From what I've gleaned from your videos it seems like the MRT and taxis make it easy to get around. Can you recommend some hotels or at least some areas we should stay in? We will likely stay 2 nights prior to our cruise and one night after. The cruise is in January 2019.

Royal Plaza on Scotts is very popular if you want to stay near Orchard Road. I made some videos of the surroundings before.

Oasis Downtown Hotel (which is near Novena MRT Station) is also good.

There is a new Courtyard by Marriott, also near Novena MRT, if you prefer the Marriott chain.

For IHG, Holiday Inn Express has a few establishments in Singapore. Holiday Inn Express at Clark Quay has had good reviews, and the Clark Quay area in the evenings is very nice.

We will be in Singapore a few days in 2019, arriving February 19. We hope to stay in at the Ruggles Hotel but I understand it is closed at this time, and could not find a date when they will begin taking reservations. Yes, I'm a planner. :)

From Singapore we go to Australia and New Zealand. I am not a good flyer. Five hours and I've had enough. Any suggestions on creative routes to shorten the flight time?

Thank you for posting your videos. :)

We will be in Singapore a few days in 2019, arriving February 19. We hope to stay in at the Ruggles Hotel but I understand it is closed at this time, and could not find a date when they will begin taking reservations. Yes, I'm a planner. :)

From Singapore we go to Australia and New Zealand. I am not a good flyer. Five hours and I've had enough. Any suggestions on creative routes to shorten the flight time?

Which part in Australia are you heading to? Singapore to Sydney is about 8 hours. Frankly 8 hours is still ok. If you want a more comfortable flight, use air miles to redeem business class tickets on Singapore Airlines. Or check out low cost carrier FlyScoot. They have a premium cabin that gives more legroom and won’t break the bank.

Royal Plaza on Scotts is very popular if you want to stay near Orchard Road. I made some videos of the surroundings before.

Oasis Downtown Hotel (which is near Novena MRT Station) is also good.

There is a new Courtyard by Marriott, also near Novena MRT, if you prefer the Marriott chain.

For IHG, Holiday Inn Express has a few establishments in Singapore. Holiday Inn Express at Clark Quay has had good reviews, and the Clark Quay area in the evenings is very nice.

Thank you for the recommendations!

If you want a creative, round about route. Singapore to Perth 4.5 hours and spend some time in Perth. Then two options.....Perth to Sydney ~5 to 5.5 hours , depending on head winds. Or, Perth to Melbourne ~4 hours. From either Sydney or Melbourne easy to get to New Zealand.

You can also get direct flights to New Zealand from Perth with Air New Zealand but that is an 11 hour flight.

The Scoot option might be good though I haven't tried them. We have done Premium Class in Silk Air and that was good. Business class on Singapore airlines is very good.

Julie

:)

Fly to Bali.

Spend a few days there on the laid back East coast.

Bali to Auckland non stop on Emirates.

Sure it's an 8 hour flight, but it leaves at a very friendly 4:30pm.

If you're in Business, once you've had dinner it would be about a 5hr sleep, and then you're in AKL early morning.

After NZ, it's an easy 3.5 hrs to Aussie.

• 1 month later...
If you want a creative, round about route. Singapore to Perth 4.5 hours and spend some time in Perth. Then two options.....Perth to Sydney ~5 to 5.5 hours , depending on head winds. Or, Perth to Melbourne ~4 hours. From either Sydney or Melbourne easy to get to New Zealand.

You can also get direct flights to New Zealand from Perth with Air New Zealand but that is an 11 hour flight.

The Scoot option might be good though I haven't tried them. We have done Premium Class in Silk Air and that was good. Business class on Singapore airlines is very good.

Julie

Oh yes, Singapore Airlines Business Class. Awesome. (Ok I'm biased, since I'm from Singapore).

Here is a flight on the Singapore Airlines A380 from Singapore to London back in 2013. Incidentally, this is my most-watched youtube Flight Review video.

[YOUTUBE]r9ocU6H2bWc[/YOUTUBE]

Easter Sunday here in Singapore. Back from church. Sharing with you a song from this morning's service.

oLaSSrEhhAg

Happy Easter to you Iluvcruising. We had a wonderful six days in your city last week. Though the three hours walking we did around MacRitchie and Treetops made my calf muscles sore the next day. :)

Your city is wonderful and we had fun showing our American friends how diverse it is, from big city highlights to gorgeous green spaces.

Have you got any video from at or near the Smoke and Mirrors Bar on the Rooftop of National Gallery? Spending a little time there in the evening and seeing the lights across Marina Bay was pretty special.

Happy Easter to you Iluvcruising. We had a wonderful six days in your city last week. Though the three hours walking we did around MacRitchie and Treetops made my calf muscles sore the next day. :)

Your city is wonderful and we had fun showing our American friends how diverse it is, from big city highlights to gorgeous green spaces.

Have you got any video from at or near the Smoke and Mirrors Bar on the Rooftop of National Gallery? Spending a little time there in the evening and seeing the lights across Marina Bay was pretty special.

I attended a dinner the Aura, at the Rooftop of National Gallery Singapore. Here is the video. I'm not exactly sure where the Smoke and Mirrors Bar is located. Is it at the same place?

[YOUTUBE]0DYr6mT650s[/YOUTUBE]

More videos.

Durian! Either you love it, or you hate it.

[YOUTUBE]1IZG7qNMUuo[/YOUTUBE]

The Republic of Singapore Air Force Super Puma LIVE rescue helicopter demonstration!

[YOUTUBE]pdd9Jd05s0I[/YOUTUBE]

The Asuka II cruise ship (formerly Crystal Harmony) docked at Harbourfront Cruise Center.

[YOUTUBE]DEnowqtY8EM[/YOUTUBE]

I attended a dinner the Aura, at the Rooftop of National Gallery Singapore. Here is the video. I'm not exactly sure where the Smoke and Mirrors Bar is located. Is it at the same place?

0DYr6mT650s

It is the same place. Quite stunning and we had a table outside near the balustrade. As always alcohol isn't cheap in Singapore but it was worth it for a special occasion. As can be seen in your video there is space near the bar area where you can stand and look at the view as well. It is tricky to get to the rooftop though.

We only had pre dinner drinks there and went to Violet Oon for dinner.

Your menu for the wedding looks very tasty.

I love Durian but sometimes have been unlucky in getting a not so fresh durian, then I am not keen.:)

Julie

It is the same place. Quite stunning and we had a table outside near the balustrade. As always alcohol isn't cheap in Singapore but it was worth it for a special occasion. As can be seen in your video there is space near the bar area where you can stand and look at the view as well. It is tricky to get to the rooftop though.

We only had pre dinner drinks there and went to Violet Oon for dinner.

Your menu for the wedding looks very tasty.

I love Durian but sometimes have been unlucky in getting a not so fresh durian, then I am not keen.:)

Julie

You went to Violet Oon for dinner. Wow. I've heard of that place, but never tried it myself.

Maybe I can't bring myself to pay so much for Peranakan food... LOL.. http://violetoon.com/

Did you like the food?

I must say, you know Singapore very well!

You went to Violet Oon for dinner. Wow. I've heard of that place, but never tried it myself.

Maybe I can't bring myself to pay so much for Peranakan food... LOL.. http://violetoon.com/

Did you like the food?

I must say, you know Singapore very well!

I did like the food. It was a our friends special number birthday and it was cheaper celebrating together in Violet Oon then flying to America. :D

You have a wonderful country.

Julie

Here are 3 videos of the Harbourfront Cruise Center, not to be confused with the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. It is definitely more convenient to sail out of Harbourfront, because it is connected to two malls (Harbourfront and VivoCity), and also directly to the MRT station (Harbourfront). Unfortunately, due to the turning radius of the harbour and height restrictions (due to the cable car), the larger cruise vessels cannot come in here.

In this first video, I take a walk from the Arrivals area (where you get off your ship) at Harbourfront, and walk to the MRT station. An easy walk through the shopping mall. You can see all the stores along the way.

[YOUTUBE]HGXimQFxoBE[/YOUTUBE]

In this second video, I take a walk from the Bag Drop area to the Check in area. As there was no ship embarking/disembarking today, the baggage drop area was not manned.

[YOUTUBE]wRfVrwotCeU[/YOUTUBE]

In this third video, I take a walk from the Arrival area, to Vivocity. Take note that the Harbourfront Mall and Vivocity are connected via 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. (1st floor in Singapore refers to Ground Floor). I walked over via the ground floor. I show you some of the restaurants at Vivocity, including Jamie Oliver, Poulet and other Japanese, Mexican, German, British eateries. The British pub had a fancy name - the Queen and Mangosteen! Funny.

[YOUTUBE]FcQGI8x3uRw[/YOUTUBE]

Having lunch at this eatery called Qiji. This branch was at Harbourfront. Tried their new Chicken Char Siew Nasi Lemak. Nasi Lemak is a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. This dish is commonly found in Malaysia and Singapore. This portion for SGD $5.50.

[YOUTUBE]W89NZUcFaoU[/YOUTUBE]

If you are in the Orchard Road area, this is a more upmarket shopping center called Paragon. The building is rather old, but you will find many branded boutiques here. Paragon shopping center is right opposite Takashimaya.

[YOUTUBE]bARMGTfrfwo[/YOUTUBE]

If you are at Orchard MRT station, there is this huge mall called Orchard ION built on top of the station. At the basement level, where there is plenty of food, there is also this Food Opera Food Court. Prices are a bit higher than usual for a food court, but still very crowded, especially during lunch time.

[YOUTUBE]9Bwl07rnO5U[/YOUTUBE]

This store selling Nasi Lemak is also at Orchard ION, basement. Same level as the food court in the above video. Good to eat! This particular Nasi Lemak store is famous because when the Bruneian Royalty comes to town, they apparently will eat from this store too.

[YOUTUBE]o6uigokrq3w[/YOUTUBE]

Now, I behave like a tourist in this video. Start off with a gorgeous view of City Hall (check out the colonial architecture); it used to be the Municipal building, built by the London construction firm Perry and Co. (Overseas) Ltd, and completed in 1929. It is now a National monument. When I turn around, in the distance you can see the Marina Bay Sands. And I walk to the Singapore River, and you see a monument of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, who founded modern Singapore in 1819. Check out the Singapore River, and the tall skyscrapers of our Central Business District. Isn't it cool?

[YOUTUBE]LDlNQ-Vozzk[/YOUTUBE]

A second video related to the Singapore River. This time I am at Clark Quay, at the boarding area for the river cruise. Spotted a group of tourists (I think German) waiting for their ride. It was an awesome day to cruise the Singapore River!

[YOUTUBE]UOkkv__qTxY[/YOUTUBE]