Thanksgiving Cruise 2015???? Right decision?

Thank you for all of your responses. You have help me come to my decision. We are going to do a 6 day that week instead of a 4 day on Indy. There may be a better chances of less kids with the longer cruise.

Please keep sharing your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A 4 day cruise or a 6 day cruise on a holiday won't make a difference if more or less children on board....there will be children either way...enjoy your cruise...these ships are big enough for everyone to enjoy.

My wife and I did a Thanksgiving cruise with two of our good friends before any of us had kids back in 2010 on the Ruby Princess. We did an Eastern Caribbean cruise and had a great time! There were kids on board of course but we never noticed any issues at all even though there tends to be less kids on Princess.

As to the "adults only" Solarium, I think that is a misnomer. Princess has the "Sanctuary" which is truly adults only. Why does anyone think 16 and over is considered an adult? Why not make it 21 and over? Or at the least 18? My wife and I sailed on Oasis for our first RCCL cruise and we quickly realized we didn't like the Solarium as compared to the Sanctuary on Princess even though we loved everything else Oasis had to offer.

Thanks again everyone. I do have to ask.... What is the menu like in the MDR on Thanksgiving day. Is it the typical turkey and stuffing?

In our experience they will have a few American Thanksgiving items, such as turkey, dressing, pumpkin pie, etc., but they will have non-Thanksgiving normal menu items also.

Thanks again everyone. I do have to ask.... What is the menu like in the MDR on Thanksgiving day. Is it the typical turkey and stuffing?

We haven't cruised on Thanksgiving yet ( we expect to do it this year)....but we have cruised on Thanksgiving Weekend....when they have the traditional type of foods, that you would prepare from the left overs.....so you feel at home.

I would expect the typical American favorites -- and other items for those who don't celebrate OUR traditional holiday. Everyone has things to be thankful for...but the holiday of Thanksgiving itself is 'very American'.

Explorer added ham or turkey on thanksgiving day with pumpkin pie. Didn't taste like grandmother's but it was tasty.I had a Boarshead turkey rom Publix waiting when I got home for turkey sandwiches.

I think you can always expect more families/children around the holidays. We've done several holiday cruises as well as summer & spring break and all had lots of children which has never seemed like a problem for us. Both my husband and I agree we've seen more "unruly" adults than children on any of our cruises. :D On one cruise, there was a couple who were very vocal about the number of "rug rats" as he called them, always complaining about how bad they were. Maybe we were just lucky but my husband and I wondered if we were on the same cruise as we had not experienced any problems. We did, however, learn quickly not to sit too close to this couple as they were rather loud and irritating.:D

Sherri:)

We were on Liberty for that same cruise (4-night to Cozumel) in Nov 2014. We did have our kids with us (1yo and 5yo) and a group of 20 with a few other kids too went with us. BUT I can honestly say I didn't see a crazy amount of kids all over the ship though. Even in the kid splash areas it didn't seem that crowded. The weather was PERFECT other than the crazy wind on the ship on the 2 sea days. The seas were a bit rough, felt movement the entire cruise, but we don't mind that.

The Thanksgiving Day dinner was GREAT! It was all of your typical t-day food... 2 pieces of carved turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, string beans (I think that was the veggie) and they came around with cranberry sauce. Perfect portion and everyone loved it... that was actually our favorite meal of the whole cruise.

Edited to Add: The pumpkin seed bread was AMAZING. I miss it.

I don't feel that a more "kid-friendly" time would impact my decision on whether to go on a cruise or not. If you don't have kids with you, you don't have to worry about what other kids are doing. That's the best part... you can avoid/ignore and be happy it's not your kid that you have to deal with a tantrum from on vacation! LOL

Edited by CamaCama

Yes, turkey dinner with all the trimmings! It was quite good....actually I think Royal does (or did) have this turkey meal one night on every cruise and I always order it. It is actually one of my favorite cruise meals! Have fun!

We are looking at Indy for thanksgiving week and I need to be convinced I am making the right decision.

Here is the situation.... I will be traveling with first-time cruisers. They are excited but they have a few concerns. They really want to rest and relax that week but are concerned that it will be too many children running everywhere. They are also concerned that it will be too cold during Thanksgiving week.

Please help me convince them. Please share your Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise experience.

We went on Indy for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago . . . 1200 kids were on board. it was AWFUL . . . never again!

Excuse me for jumping in but you brought up a good point that I had not considered. We will start our back to back on the Jewell that leaves on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. The Jewell is what I consider a medium size ship. We love sailing out of San Juan and on many cruises the locals have taken advantage of the rates offered to the home port. So has anyone experienced a 7 day cruise out of San Juan on the Jewell during Thanksgiving? Was there a larger kid population that week verses before after weeks? How was the Solarium managed during that time? I know every bodies tolerance level is different and this can be really a subjective issue so I just want to know if the population of kids is greater and if the Ship was actively keeping major violators in control.

Thank you for your time.