Thanksgiving Cruise 2015???? Right decision?

I am unsure what exactly is your worry....the ship will be full. It is just as popular a week as any of the other 51 weeks of the year. Some are much more popular, especially those around Spring Break and some other times, and the prices reflect that because they generally are higher. But ships sail full.

Okay thanks. I don't know much about cruises, so I have no idea if some weeks are less crowded than others. On other vacations we go on, there are less crowded times to go, so I assumed it's the same with a cruise. Apparently not. ;)

We cruised Thanksgiving weeks for years, weather was never a issue, but now either cruise the week after Thanksgiving or do Sandals that week to

1- avoid children

2- week after is much cheaper so you might be able to get a JR suite rather than a balcony, also love flying in on Thanksgiving , good fares , airport is not crowded and spending a day or 2 in Florida before the cruise.

We have gone twice on TG from Bayonne and Baltimore with my DIL and SIL and their two small girls, and the only issue I have seen was that all the kids want to stay in the hot tubs when it is colder weather until you hit the Bahamas. Most solarium pools are adults only most of the time, but the cruise line may even make exceptions on Holiday cruises. There are 2 to 3 times more children on TG cruises. They don't seem to congregate where adults do anyway. They like to run up and down the stairs a lot. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

You just can't let small things wreck a vacation. Most families with children don't eat at late dining, so there is an option for a quieter dinner.

Yeah I was afraid of that. It's just that my SIL is a teacher and it's either the the Holiday weeks, i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break or pay double the price to go during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If she is a teacher, she will be used to the kids, (and probably has seen much worse behaviors than we sometimes see on cruises.) We have been on a few spring break cruises and a Christmas cruise. The kids were in the kids' program a majority of the time, so we were not bothered by them. There is always a quiet area somewhere to relax and escape the crowds. With your limited options, Thanksgiving is the best, in my opinion. I will also be on the FOS Thanksgiving cruise, like 2 other posters here :)

As for the weather: we were just in the western Caribbean in December. Sea days were a bit too cold for the pool, but the islands and Labadee were very nice! If you go Eastern, it will be even better. We did that during Christmas 2011, and the weather was perfect!

If you book one of the secret large balconies on the aft corner, you will have the ideal place to hang out during sea days. Don't agonize over it too much. :)

Edited by APDMOM
clarify

We have gone twice on TG from Bayonne and Baltimore with my DIL and SIL and their two small girls, and the only issue I have seen was that all the kids want to stay in the hot tubs when it is colder weather until you hit the Bahamas. Most solarium pools are adults only most of the time, but the cruise line may even make exceptions on Holiday cruises. There are 2 to 3 times more children on TG cruises. They don't seem to congregate where adults do anyway. They like to run up and down the stairs a lot. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

You just can't let small things wreck a vacation. Most families with children don't eat at late dining, so there is an option for a quieter dinner.

The cruise line does not make different rules for the use of the Solarium on Holiday cruises. There are more children on holiday weeks for sure, but I don't think someone can be sure there is 2 to 3 times more children.

The cruise line does not make different rules for the use of the Solarium on Holiday cruises. There are more children on holiday weeks for sure, but I don't think someone can be sure there is 2 to 3 times more children.

A cruise ship does have a maximum number of passengers based on the rooms that can have 3 or 4 occupants and suites that can have many more. But many cabins are not filled to capacity. We are couple and the cabin we get could have a 3rd person (example: child) instead of us.

So number of children becomes a function of 'families' cruising. But even then the ship has limits based on what they can handle.

I have been on many cruises from the smallest Royal ship to Allure, the amount of children hasn't been a factor in a 'good time had by me and my DH'. Sometimes other adult passengers have annoyed me and I reposition myself to another location. Young adults (over 25) can be more annoying, as well as even older cruisers....it isn't their age -- it is their behavior.

Go and have a good time. Be flexible and enjoy!

A cruise ship does have a maximum number of passengers based on the rooms that can have 3 or 4 occupants and suites that can have many more. But many cabins are not filled to capacity. We are couple and the cabin we get could have a 3rd person (example: child) instead of us.

So number of children becomes a function of 'families' cruising. But even then the ship has limits based on what they can handle.

I have been on many cruises from the smallest Royal ship to Allure, the amount of children hasn't been a factor in a 'good time had by me and my DH'. Sometimes other adult passengers have annoyed me and I reposition myself to another location. Young adults (over 25) can be more annoying, as well as even older cruisers....it isn't their age -- it is their behavior.

Go and have a good time. Be flexible and enjoy!

This is true. On a cruise a few years ago we were in a cabin that could take 3 people and just before final payment we tried to add a child to our cabin and they wouldn't let us because the ship was already booked to maximum capacity. They told me they have a limit on 3rd/4th passengers.

We are looking at Indy for thanksgiving week and I need to be convinced I am making the right decision.

Here is the situation.... I will be traveling with first-time cruisers. They are excited but they have a few concerns. They really want to rest and relax that week but are concerned that it will be too many children running everywhere. They are also concerned that it will be too cold during Thanksgiving week.

Please help me convince them. Please share your Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise experience.

My husband and I cruised the past Thanksgiving on Explorer. There were many family groups but not a problem to us. We enjoyed a relaxing Thanksgiving with someone else cooking and cleaning. Planned on some family but we changed that cruise until New year's eve. Would do it again.

Nassua was 73 and San Juan also comfortable. Imagine the water is a little cool but not for kids.

AVOID!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I cruised on the Enchantment for T-day and it had 1200 children onboard. They were unleashed, running around like crazy. There were HUGE groups of families, too. I suspect that the 3rd/4th passengers were overly used during this week. The pool was a mad-house and overall, I found the employees stressed and not up to par.

Granted the weather was warm, but I couldn't even escape the mayhem in my Jr. Suite... the noise from above and in the halls still disrupted the peace.

ps: I am a teacher with a 7 year old! I am completely kid-oriented! But this was too much for me. :eek::eek::eek:

I cruised on the Enchantment for T-day and it had 1200 children onboard. They were unleashed, running around like crazy. There were HUGE groups of families, too. I suspect that the 3rd/4th passengers were overly used during this week. The pool was a mad-house and overall, I found the employees stressed and not up to par.

Granted the weather was warm, but I couldn't even escape the mayhem in my Jr. Suite... the noise from above and in the halls still disrupted the peace.

ps: I am a teacher with a 7 year old! I am completely kid-oriented! But this was too much for me. :eek::eek::eek:

My husband and I cruised the past Thanksgiving on Explorer. There were many family groups but not a problem to us. We enjoyed a relaxing Thanksgiving with someone else cooking and cleaning. Planned on some family but we changed that cruise until New year's eve. Would do it again. Nassua was 73 and San Juan also comfortable. Imagine the water is a little cool but not for kids.

Explorer is a much larger ship with lots more to do and it enables a better flow around the ship, of all people (child to adults).

The Enchantment has a maximum capacity of 2730 passengers, so I doubt it would have had 1200 children onboard. I realize that not every child was accompanied by 2 adults, but the ratio just would not make sense. As that poster mentioned the children they did see were "unleashed, running around like crazy" (leighuf's words), which means that the parents weren't being parents regardless of how few or many children were on board.

It is impossible to avoid children and further impossible to predict the kind of behavior they will display.

So book a cruise when it fits your schedule and HAVE a GREAT time on YOUR vacation!!!

Was this a 7-day cruise? Short cruises tend to draw larger crowds over holidays and long weekends. Enchantment is also much smaller than the ship OP is looking at, so that should be factored in.

Was this a 7-day cruise? Short cruises tend to draw larger crowds over holidays and long weekends. Enchantment is also much smaller than the ship OP is looking at, so that should be factored in.

Enchantment does 3 and 4 night cruises out of Port Canaveral. A ship can hold the same maximum number of passengers on all of its sailings, regardless of whether it is a holiday or long weekend or mid week. But they do sail full all the time -- therefore the number of people crowded into a ship will remain close to the same.

We did the Thanksgiving cruise last year on the Navigator out of Galveston. Never again. The ship was packed, they said 3900 on the ship this is over the amount so they must have booked every bed. There were 1200 children. First day was very crowded and lots of children not knowing what to do. First day and last day are the only truly annoying days. But if you are wanting to relax go off season not when children are out of school. Is nice to have a ship that is not fully booked. If you want families and children then go when school is out. This just makes sense.

We did the Thanksgiving cruise last year on the Navigator out of Galveston. Never again. The ship was packed, they said 3900 on the ship this is over the amount so they must have booked every bed. There were 1200 children. First day was very crowded and lots of children not knowing what to do. First day and last day are the only truly annoying days. But if you are wanting to relax go off season not when children are out of school. Is nice to have a ship that is not fully booked. If you want families and children then go when school is out. This just makes sense.

When Navigator went into dry dock for its 'redo' it had cabins added and that probably did put the passenger max at over 3900. Yes, first day is always disorganized, until passengers learn there way around -- and for families with kids they need to find their own special places. As far as the last day, if you are referring to the morning you disembark from Navigator, on EVERY ship that is hectic, difficult and can be described as annoying -- but that is what trying to have all the passengers exit a ship is like so the next set of cruisers can board.

We've cruised 4 (or 5?) Thanksgivings. There are more FAMILIES on board. So people do things in groups. Of 8, 10, 12. That includes kids. Of all ages. Many, many multi-generational groups.

But, in a way, it's more relaxing. Everyone is with their own group, so busy meeting up and doing group things that finding a relaxing spot, especially at the pool, is easy. The older generation doesn't tan, the super young ones run and do kid friendly activities. We've NEVER had trouble getting a pool chair on Thanksgiving!

It was SO hot in San Juan 2 years ago I walked around saying "It's like Africa" (have been there so I know). Falmouth was the same. Florida MIGHT be a tad cooler, but is probably still warmer than 95% of the US. If yours is the Indy 8 night trip (which we did) it is AWESOME.

Paulette,

Wrong on both counts

Another poster on another thread said they were on a ship that let the children go in the Solarium pool, after I stated that chidren couldn't go in the adult pools.

Also on a TG cruise I took on the Explorer, the captain told us there were 3 times as many children on the ship on that cruise, than a usual cruise.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Paulette,

Wrong on both counts

Another poster on another thread said they were on a ship that let the children go in the Solarium pool, after I stated that chidren couldn't go in the adult pools.

Also on a TG cruise I took on the Explorer, the captain told us there were 3 times as many children on the ship on that cruise, than a usual cruise.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Changing the rules temporarily for use of the Solarium, had nothing to do with it being a HOLIDAY in the thread it was mentioned in.....it was because the weather was bad and the only pool that could be used was the Solarium. It wasn't because it was a holiday sailing.

At least the information you got came directly from the captain on that specific cruise.

Edited by Paulette3028

We've cruised 4 (or 5?) Thanksgivings. There are more FAMILIES on board. So people do things in groups. Of 8, 10, 12. That includes kids. Of all ages. Many, many multi-generational groups.

But, in a way, it's more relaxing. Everyone is with their own group, so busy meeting up and doing group things that finding a relaxing spot, especially at the pool, is easy. The older generation doesn't tan, the super young ones run and do kid friendly activities. We've NEVER had trouble getting a pool chair on Thanksgiving!

It was SO hot in San Juan 2 years ago I walked around saying "It's like Africa" (have been there so I know). Falmouth was the same. Florida MIGHT be a tad cooler, but is probably still warmer than 95% of the US. If yours is the Indy 8 night trip (which we did) it is AWESOME.

Your perspective is interesting as well. We are going on the 8 night Indy itinerary, in a few weeks....so looking forward to going on that class of ship again.

Explorer is a much larger ship with lots more to do and it enables a better flow around the ship, of all people (child to adults).

The Enchantment has a maximum capacity of 2730 passengers, so I doubt it would have had 1200 children onboard.

That's what a cruise employee told me. Just repeating what I was told.....

5 day. Hence why I have never considered anything less than a 6-day after that.

As to whether lines can and do max out third and fourth beds, I was told same things by staff on Holiday cruises... They booked to the max. We were to,d 3 times as many children at Holidays than other times. On our Thanksgiving cruise, a high level staffer told us kids outnumbered adults. Based upon our cruise history, there was no doubt in my mind, Holidays have more children and are, in general, more crowded.

Now, to OP, if you can book at another time, I would consider it if you want more relaxing or less families. But if you cannot due to your schedule, book when you can and enjoy! Even a week before or after a Holiday can be quite different.

I think you can probably also get a more relaxing cruise depending on the ship and itinerary. Longer cruises tend to have less children. You would think bigger ships would be worse, but I think perhaps they spread crowds better and have more spaces for children's activities. Strangely, I found the Allure (not at a Holiday) pretty relaxing. You can also plan your excursions to relax.... At Christmas, as an example, I planned a tour on a private catamaran that only held 12 people and I posted for adults only to adjoin on our roll call. So, a relaxing day. Whatever you do have fun!

Thank you for all of your responses. You have help me come to my decision. We are going to do a 6 day that week instead of a 4 day on Indy. There may be a better chances of less kids with the longer cruise.

Please keep sharing your experiences.

Edited by lvetocruise2012

We have cruised Thanksgiving quite a few times from different ports and on different lines. We love sailing at Thanksgiving - no cooking no cleaning :D but then again we have kids too.

There are definitely more kids than at other times of year but depending on the ship it can have a different "feel" for how many kids are onboard.

We did the Indy 8 night last year and didn't feel overrun by kids at all. However back in 2008 we did the 6 night over Thanksgiving and it was terrible with lots of kids running the halls and taking over the elevators. This time was much better.

Have done the Brilliance, Grand Princess, and Celebrity Mercury at Thanksgiving too.

If that is your only opportunity make the best of it... and most important of all choose late seating or dine late with MTD... most of the kids eat early... and the pool area is empty at 6 pm..

Temperature...

We had some cool days this past Thanksgiving and it was the windiest cruise we have ever been on...

The ports were very nice temps.... HOT in San Juan...

Normally Thanksgiving the temps have been great!

Enjoy!!!