experienced snorkellers

mikepaul

Hi,My wife and I am in the process of booking a caribbean cruise for April this year and we are avid snorkelers. Having snorkelled in about 1/3 of the places all over the world. We know good snorkeling from bad.The question I have for those who know, which area in the caribbean would be the best? We have snorkelled some in the caribbean,including, Roatan, Belize, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

and this time we are close to booking a southeastern trip with Celebrity that include Barbadoes, St. Kitts, St. Martens and Dominica and meets all our other requirements that we like in a ship. Would those stops have enough good snorkeling, doesn't have to be the best just good enough that we're not disappointed with the trip. Or should we look for a cruise that goes further south to Bonaire, Curacao and St. Lucia. I know those would be preferable but doing that itinerary would take quite a bit of doing.

Hi,My wife and I am in the process of booking a caribbean cruise for April this year and we are avid snorkelers. Having snorkelled in about 1/3 of the places all over the world. We know good snorkeling from bad.The question I have for those who know, which area in the caribbean would be the best? We have snorkelled some in the caribbean,including, Roatan, Belize, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

and this time we are close to booking a southeastern trip with Celebrity that include Barbadoes, St. Kitts, St. Martens and Dominica and meets all our other requirements that we like in a ship. Would those stops have enough good snorkeling, doesn't have to be the best just good enough that we're not disappointed with the trip. Or should we look for a cruise that goes further south to Bonaire, Curacao and St. Lucia. I know those would be preferable but doing that itinerary would take quite a bit of doing.

Can't speak for where you are heading, but I agree that Belize and Roatan, being part of the barrier reef are awesome snorkel spots. Less so with St Thomas and have yet to be at GT, coming soon though. :) Have a trip to Bonaire in the coming months and it is supposed to be one of the better snorkels in Klein (Little) Bonaire. I am interested to know what you find out about St Maarten and Dominica.

Since you have snorkeled at some of the best spots in the world, none of those islands will offer your anything that is overly impressive. DW and I do enjoy snorkeling at Champagne Reef on Dominica, but it is not all that special when we compare it to places like Bora Bora, Great Barrier Reef, or a drift snorkel off of Bonaire.

As to Bonaire, we always give a strong recommendation to the boat/snorkel tour on the Woodwind (operated by a wonderful young lady names Dee). You can book the Woodwind online, and that private tour usually fills-up pretty fast when there is a cruise ship in town.

As to St Maarten, despite having spend some quality time on that island and exploring nearly every beach and nearby reef, we have never found any great snorkeling. Some will tell you that the reef right off of Dawn Beach is decent, but we have seldom been to the island when the seas (and winds) were favorable to snorkel on that reef.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Since you have snorkeled at some of the best spots in the world, none of those islands will offer your anything that is overly impressive.

Agreed. DH and I also love to snorkel, but we usually put it on the back burner on these trips. Out of the stops you mentioned, however, we did snorkel on St. Kitts back in 2013. We got a day pass to the Marriott, and the reef off of their beach was not that bad. Saw a lion fish and some other good stuff.

We had also stopped at a beach in Barbados, but no snorkeling there; just nice sand.

If you find there is no snorkeling on Dominica, HIGHLY recommend a stop at Titou Gorge. Amazing.

Having snorkelled in about 1/3 of the places all over the world. We know good snorkeling from bad.

WOW .. I wouldn't try to offer ANY suggestions to one that has this experience

BUT ... can you expand on 1/3 of the places over the world? I mean .. in the Keys ... define 1/3

Upper Keys, Middle Keys .. Lower keys .... ALL keys

or Grand Cayman .... just GC or including Little and Brac .....

IMO a presumptuous statement

Edited by Capt_BJ