White Pass Railway vs Trail of 98 tours

titangas

We will be traveling with another family.

5 people in each family (10 total).

While the idea of the White Pass Railway seems awesome.

The price difference for a group that size is substantial.

Looking at over $100 a person for a basic short train ride excursion to over $200 for a longer trip that would bus one way and train back or paired with something else.

TN98 tours seems to have a great reputation and their 7 hour tour wpuld be around $850 with tax or about $85 per person.

I would like some feedback would it really be worth the over $1000 more to see the sites from the train.

Would love to get some feedback from anybody, especially those who have used TN Tours or have seen the Yukon both ways.

Frankly, there is no way that all 10 have the same interests. So why even pay $85 to bring someone along who probably wanted to do something else? Split up.

Why did you "pick" the train?? Are YOU interested, anyone else? Especially someone who is a rail fan or history buff, it may be very important to experience this. Maybe even the Lake Bennett train would be the choice?

Check tripadvisor for the tour reviews. They are not one of the stand outs and may be newer. There is a reason for the rave reviews of a few vendors which have been in business for years. :)

So questions to ask yourself- does everyone HAVE to go together? Again, I would encourage you not to. What does each person say? Have each of them looked over a shore excursion list? Were there other interests?

You mention the costs several times, is ONE person paying for all of it? Otherwise to lump the fees all together is going to make it sound large- per person, the fees are pretty minimal on the scale of Alaska tours. IF you do want to go to Carcross, the cheapest way would be to get a couple vans or cars. Purchase Murray's guide and go on your own.

Very easy to get the history details and highlights from the guide, which the information would be VERY similar to what a guide is going to mention.

Frankly, there is no way that all 10 have the same interests. So why even pay $85 to bring someone along who probably wanted to do something else? Split up.

Why did you "pick" the train?? Are YOU interested, anyone else? Especially someone who is a rail fan or history buff, it may be very important to experience this. Maybe even the Lake Bennett train would be the choice?

Check tripadvisor for the tour reviews. They are not one of the stand outs and may be newer. There is a reason for the rave reviews of a few vendors which have been in business for years. :)

So questions to ask yourself- does everyone HAVE to go together? Again, I would encourage you not to. What does each person say? Have each of them looked over a shore excursion list? Were there other interests?

You mention the costs several times, is ONE person paying for all of it? Otherwise to lump the fees all together is going to make it sound large- per person, the fees are pretty minimal on the scale of Alaska tours. IF you do want to go to Carcross, the cheapest way would be to get a couple vans or cars. Purchase Murray's guide and go on your own.

Very easy to get the history details and highlights from the guide, which the information would be VERY similar to what a guide is going to mention.

Budget Queen -- I really do appreciate all you contribute to this board.

It has been very helpful.

But sometimes you come off as quite condescending.

For this excursion -- YES, we will all be doing the same thing and Yes - one person will be paying for the excursion (me) for both.

It is not simply about $$$. If the views and experience of the train far outweigh the go at our pace bus experience, we may choose that, hence why I asked the question.

We are two families with upper teens children (I know I nor the other family will be letting them go off without the parents).

We have don research and (parents) all have interest in seeing that route up to Carcross.

I plan on taking your advice in Juneau of renting a car to take Mendenhall Glacier, as half of the group want to do a whale watching tour. I really do not want to rent 2 to 3 cars for this.

Anyone else with experience doing both.

Budget Queen -- I really do appreciate all you contribute to this board.

It has been very helpful.

But sometimes you come off as quite condescending.

For this excursion -- YES, we will all be doing the same thing and Yes - one person will be paying for the excursion (me) for both.

It is not simply about $$$. If the views and experience of the train far outweigh the go at our pace bus experience, we may choose that, hence why I asked the question.

We are two families with upper teens children (I know I nor the other family will be letting them go off without the parents).

We have don research and (parents) all have interest in seeing that route up to Carcross.

I plan on taking your advice in Juneau of renting a car to take Mendenhall Glacier, as half of the group want to do a whale watching tour. I really do not want to rent 2 to 3 cars for this.

Anyone else with experience doing both.

Sorry you have taken offense- I have no way of knowing anything about you. Reason, I suggest you ask YOURSELF some questions that may point you to the answer that is right for you. I'm not looking for any answers, so no need to disclose any. It is not common for 10 people to have the same interests, and I will still say, likely it's of different levels. Many times people split up and never you see regrets for doing so. It was ONLY a comment, that some consider.

I'm sure you've seen my "suggestions" about the White Pass RR and reasons to include it or not. So hopefully you will get some one else who will help you.

No worries Budget Queen.

I know you don't know everyone exact make up. I am compulsive planner have been researching and reading for a long time before we decided to book.

We were going through this for summer of 2014, but ended up booking a Med cruise instead.

Like I said I really do truly appreciate all you contribute to this board, so I hope I didn't offend you.

You said in your first reply "Check trip advisor.... they are not one of the standouts" - But actually they (TNT) are ranked #2 with a 100% rating.

For myself....

• I enjoyed the additional WP view from the Summit to Fraser.
  • I also enjoy the views of Torment Valley beyond Fraser via Motorcoach (Yukon Expedition)
  • I prefer motorcoach up and train down to see both sides of the Canyon as well as the history. fyi.... the train showcases the old foot trail up close.

Hi -

Our best Skagway adventure was the day we rented a car and drove into the Yukon. We actually made it all the way to White Horse for lunch, where it was summer warm and sunny (appreciated this after several coastal summer foggy drizzly days). Enjoyed scenery & wildlife. Got back to Skagway with time to spare to walk around town and visit the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.

I read Murray's guide online for ideas. Made a list of potential stops which turned out great, plus we added a couple spontaneous breaks where we thought it was especially scenic that day. We stopped at some point where the train ends I guess and then goes back downhill. Some passengers looked longingly at our car, but I imagine many more were rail buffs who simply must ride any train anywhere. I like train rides, too, a lot. But couldn't resist this opportunity for a unique open road day.

On another extended family vacation cruise we spent half our pre-sail day with a rented van and driver, made a list of all highlights we thought people wanted to see, and had a great time talking among ourselves while driving between them and then spilling out occasionally. You could do something like this, or rent two cars as suggested above, if you decide on a road trip.

I too am big on vacation planning, it's a big part of what makes a truly memorable trip. Have a great one!

Have you looked thru the trip reports (STICKY near the top of the page)? There are a few reports from extended families. This one includes the Trail of 98:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43420125&posted=1#post43420125

Also in the trip reports is this photojournal comparing Skagway train vs rental car:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43420125&posted=1#post43420125

My favorite trip in Skagway was the Bennett Scenic Journey - through Chilkoot tours. This is the long train ride all the way to Carcross with a van to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway. I am a train and history buff and so I did not mind being on the train for most of the trip and being able to learn more about the place where the Chilkoot and White Pass trails ended and to see how the town looked in 98 and how it looks now is quite amazing.

One thing to realize is that there is only one valley that both the hy and rr pass through - the rr takes a slightly longer route to minimize the grades - but for some of the journey you can see the road from the train and vice versa. At the town of Fraser the hy and rr come together. Fraser is also the place where some train trips end and you board a bus to either go to Carcross or back to Skagway (or the reverse to take the train back to Skagway). It is at Fraser that the hy and rr go separate ways - the rr goes on one side of the mountains while the hy goes on the other. The next time they merge is at Carcross. I know this trip is expensive and takes the better part of your typical cruise ship port day. To do this trip you ship needs to be in port by 7:00AM and not leave before 4:00PM (and be there on a day that the train is running).

You might be able to wrangle a group discount (10 would be enough to fill their bus) from Chilkoot. You never know until you ask.

BTW here is a link you might find helpful in your planning www.cruiseportinsider.com

My favorite trip in Skagway was the Bennett Scenic Journey - through Chilkoot tours. This is the long train ride all the way to Carcross with a van to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway. I am a train and history buff and so I did not mind being on the train for most of the trip and being able to learn more about the place where the Chilkoot and White Pass trails ended and to see how the town looked in 98 and how it looks now is quite amazing.

One thing to realize is that there is only one valley that both the hy and rr pass through - the rr takes a slightly longer route to minimize the grades - but for some of the journey you can see the road from the train and vice versa. At the town of Fraser the hy and rr come together. Fraser is also the place where some train trips end and you board a bus to either go to Carcross or back to Skagway (or the reverse to take the train back to Skagway). It is at Fraser that the hy and rr go separate ways - the rr goes on one side of the mountains while the hy goes on the other. The next time they merge is at Carcross. I know this trip is expensive and takes the better part of your typical cruise ship port day. To do this trip you ship needs to be in port by 7:00AM and not leave before 4:00PM (and be there on a day that the train is running).

You might be able to wrangle a group discount (10 would be enough to fill their bus) from Chilkoot. You never know until you ask.

BTW here is a link you might find helpful in your planning www.cruiseportinsider.com

Thanks for the input.

Just the type of feedback I was looking for.

Had already viewed Chilkoot tours and am considering the Bennett Scenic Journey at $229. We are in port from 7am to 8pm.

Have you thought about renting two cars and driving into the Yukon? The cars give you the flexibility to stop wherever you want for pictures or short hilkes and you can spend as short or long a time as you want.

Teens are old enough to have opinions. Have you asked them? I don't know your teens, but some would look at the Bennett train tour and say, "Boooorrring!" I can't think of much things worse than being stuck on a train for several hours with a bunch of bored, whining teens... especially since you will have crossed into Canada where they can't use their phones (without international roaming charges) even if they could get a signal.

I just took 4 teens/young adults last summer. We went hiking in Skagway, out to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's Cove. They had a great time!

10581262_10204150272614522_380266909_n.jpg?oh=5f24abc2201e6acd1a113463d040d271&oe=54D29224&__gda__=1423079548_4225f4af233360710579d54c3fb936b5

Teens are old enough to have opinions. Have you asked them? I don't know your teens, but some would look at the Bennett train tour and say, "Boooorrring!" I can't think of much things worse than being stuck on a train for several hours with a bunch of bored, whining teens... especially since you will have crossed into Canada where they can't use their phones (without international roaming charges) even if they could get a signal.

I just took 4 teens/young adults last summer. We went hiking in Skagway, out to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's Cove. They had a great time!

10581262_10204150272614522_380266909_n.jpg?oh=5f24abc2201e6acd1a113463d040d271&oe=54D29224&__gda__=1423079548_4225f4af233360710579d54c3fb936b5

Maybe you are a better parent than me -- because I really am not interested in what my kids think, I know my family well enough to what we will or will not enjoy.

But I will tell you that they wouldn't whine, and they don't have cell phones.

Except my one in college who got her own when she could afford it.

Maybe you are a better parent than me -- because I really am not interested in what my kids think, I know my family well enough to what we will or will not enjoy.

But I will tell you that they wouldn't whine, and they don't have cell phones.

Except my one in college who got her own when she could afford it.

I wasn't questioning your parenting. I just thought that if you are taking your kids on a cruise, maybe they would have some opinions on what they'd like to do. If you don't care what your kids think and will just drag them along with whatever you choose, then that's your choice. That's not the way I'd do it, but we are all different.

Hi there, I am just like you as far as planning goes. I started the beginning of last summer. After hours of research, reading reviews and planning--I made a decision to book Trails of 98 for our group of 10 adults next July. We actually dock in Haines and have to take the ferry from Haines to Skagway and back. So an additional excursion of riding the ferry and costing more money just to do this particular excursion. I wanted to get to see as much of Alaska as possible and this just seemed to be the perfect port to do it at. The reviews of this company and their rating just sold it to me. So we are looking forward to fun and exciting tour! Also, I just accepted the idea that this cruise tour was going be costly, so why not splurge on great excursions?! Good luck with your decision!

Edited by travgurl