Tipping

CruisingSnooter

I am a little confused about how tips work. We have done the $12 per day that goes to the dining staff and room steward. I also know that 15% is added to each beverage. Are there any other tips that are customary or that I should know about? I have no problem tipping, just want to get a feel for what is standard practice so I don't offend anyone as a first time cruiser!!

That is all that is required. We always prepay our tips so that after the cruise we don't have that on our bill. We also tip an extra dollar for each drink but its not expected or required. If you order room service, then this is the only place where I can see anymore tipping required.

Nothing else is required but some folks tip their cabin steward extra if they like them and some folks tip the wait staff in the dining room extra if they like them.

You can decide yourself as you go along.

You will find a lot of differences in the extra amounts people give and this discussion can get quite lively!

We sometimes give a $20 bill to steward and/or MDR waiter if we enjoy their services. DH gets an omelet every morning on the Lido and usually goes to the same person each morning. He sometimes gives that person something extra as well.

It is really a personal choice not something you must do!

Usually we will tip a little extra to the room steward or any staff member like bartender/server etc. at the end of the cruise if they have given us great service. We also make sure to have some money available to tip in case we order room service.

I'm okay with the advance $12 per day and the 15% added to the beverage bill, but I also have no issue at all in an advance tipping situation to let people know that the service I'm receiving is not up to par. I have heard that this is pretty much never the case on cruise ships however.

Thanks for the info and insights; much appreciated! :)

I usually pick up a couple of rolls of $1 coins at the bank before I cruise. It covers usual tipping but the recipients enjoy the coins

This requires them going to the onboard bank, waiting in line and hopefully exchanging it for a dollar bill. They cannot use these or $2 bills in the port of calls as most foreign vendors believe them to be fake. With that said, no employee on a cruise ship will say no to money.

Edited by Pixelate

I know the $1 coins and $2 bills are legal tender, I just refuse to take them as change until the $1 bill is extinct. The retailers don't even have a slot for them in their cash registers. I'm sure not going to pass them off on a cruise ship.

My DW used to be a pari-mutual teller at a horse track. Some old ladies thought they were being cute betting $2 bills, but if they won, they would refuse them as payout of their winnings.

Before each cruise, I get a pack of 50 - $1 bills from the bank.

Edited by cruzincurt

i usually get the cheers program and i know that you pay a lump sum into a tipping pool. but i like to bring about $100 in ones and i will tip the bartenders a dollar a drink for most drinks. or a dollar per order (2 drinks wife and I) if it is just a couple of beers. the bartenders or servers seem very appreciative especially for the actual bill's and not writing it on the slip. it looks like if you give them cash it goes right into their pocket for them. not sure what happens when you write in a tip if it goes to a pool for all servers or to their individual check.

You should tip your porters who handle your bags before and after the cruise. Not sure the rate most use, but we usually do about $2 a bag. Other tipping we do is optioanl, and solely dependant on the service we recieve. A good room stewart may find an extra $20 waiting for them and goo dining room service the say (amount will vary by whether we their a lot or a little and if they are good). If a server takes good care of us, they get taken care of as well. You are not required to do any extra tipping though, outside of room service (think a read a couple bucks a tray).