Imagination Review Good, Bad and Cheesy

pryd

1/29/15 Imagination:

The Good, Bad and the Cheesy:

Having cruised over 27 times on Carnival and attaining the Platinum status, they threw us “West Coasters” a bone recently and allowed us to cruise for $25pp for an interior or $35 for an OV cabin and threw in OBC of $25pp. So the incentive to cruise for the flight and taxes made the deal a sweet one that I could not pass up. The Ship, the Imagination was as I remembered her, passenger count at max was 3000 but this sailing (Being only a 2 day cruise) was undersold with a total passenger count of 2093.

The check in was very fast and easy, the wait to board was pleasant. I got to the port, checked in the VIP Lounge @ 10:00 am and was on the ship, in my cabin @ 11:39. It was when I entered the cabin that my senses were a little jangled. Something was wrong, subtle clues but nothing I could pinpoint. So IO unpacked and headed to the buffet for lunch. Returning to my cabin after sail away the problems became all too obvious. There was a lingering light scent of urine, mixed with a slight sewage smell to round off the bouquet. And to make things worse there was a constant high pitched whine in the cabin. Now this was not just a whine that was one tone, this was oscillating high and low. I could drown out a single tone with the TV if I needed to bet this was not tolerable. Guest services was called, representative was sent to my cabin. Very pleasant man who tried to give me the “Usual Cabin Sound” song and dance. I looked at him and kindly said Cruising in over 27 cabins I have never stayed in one with a high pitched warble nor smell of stench that permeated the cabin. A supervisor was called. I was moved. First night all was well, I thought. The process of switching my Sail and Sign card took 30 minutes at Guest services and was finally completed the next day.

Ensenada was the only port, and I booked through the Carnival site the Cheese and Wine tasting. Before I go too far into the description of the “After Affects” of this tour I must say, that the tour was very informative, the host Pedro was fantastic, he took the time to know each of us by name and answer any questions. The Cheese manufacturing plant seemed very clean and tidy, not the same for the cows outside as they all seemed to be knee deep in a muck mixture when they were not in the pasture. I also discovered that in Mexico they do not pasteurize their milk for cheese. (hmmm should have been a clue right there) But the presentation, taste and hospitality of the excursion was great. The problem came about 4 hours after the cheese tasting and meal we ate there. About 4 hours later I was confined to the bathroom with an issue at both ends. That is as much details as I need to provide. Called the Ships Doctor, got an exam, got some anti-nausea and diarrhea medication. After I filled out the Federal forms (Noro-Virus) the visit was free. Still was a rough night with little restful sleep…the last one of the cruise.

Check out. Well self assist is self assist, but I did not receive a final bill. I am almost certain that it arrived at my old cabin but I didn’t check. I just wanted to get off the ship and get home.

So to sum it up, The ship was mostly clean, guest services were cordial and accommodating and the new show was AMAZING. It was the highlight of the cruise. I did reserve a seat for the Chefs Table but the Cheese and Wine tasting souvenir, caused me to cancel that event.

So sorry to hear about your gastro troubles - duly noted about the cheese in Mexico, thank you.

We were on this sailing as well as the one immediately preceding it; there were significant problems causing our entire hallway (Empress aft, port side) to reek of sewage. The smell in our stateroom was mildly unpleasant upon entering, but a few seconds later unnoticeable. We talked to Herby at guest services about it and he offered to move us, but there were no 4-person cabins available. The best they could do was side-by-side porthole cabins on Riviera deck, which we considered but declined.

I chalked it up to "one of those things" and since it wasn't too bad for us, we just chose to ignore it.

Ensenada was the only port, and I booked through the Carnival site the Cheese and Wine tasting. Before I go too far into the description of the “After Affects” of this tour I must say, that the tour was very informative, the host Pedro was fantastic, he took the time to know each of us by name and answer any questions. The Cheese manufacturing plant seemed very clean and tidy, not the same for the cows outside as they all seemed to be knee deep in a muck mixture when they were not in the pasture. I also discovered that in Mexico they do not pasteurize their milk for cheese. (hmmm should have been a clue right there) But the presentation, taste and hospitality of the excursion was great. The problem came about 4 hours after the cheese tasting and meal we ate there. About 4 hours later I was confined to the bathroom with an issue at both ends. That is as much details as I need to provide. Called the Ships Doctor, got an exam, got some anti-nausea and diarrhea medication. After I filled out the Federal forms (Noro-Virus) the visit was free. Still was a rough night with little restful sleep…the last one of the cruise......

So to sum it up, The ship was mostly clean, guest services were cordial and accommodating and the new show was AMAZING. It was the highlight of the cruise. I did reserve a seat for the Chefs Table but the Cheese and Wine tasting souvenir, caused me to cancel that event.

Hmmm. I just signed up for the Cheese and Wine Tour. It's relatively new with 5 stars from several reviews. At this point I no longer get off the ship at Ensenada but planned this excursion because of the reviews. I may reconsider now. I'm sailing on the Imagination again in a few weeks. Thanks for the review.

We were on the Imagination 2/23/14....4 day cruise to Ensenada and Catalina. The ship smelled of sewage then too. I smelled it mostly around the guest services desk. I'd hope they'd have cleared that up by now but apparently not.

Hmmm. I just signed up for the Cheese and Wine Tour. It's relatively new with 5 stars from several reviews. At this point I no longer get off the ship at Ensenada but planned this excursion because of the reviews. I may reconsider now. I'm sailing on the Imagination again in a few weeks. Thanks for the review.

Just because I got a hold of badly manufactured possibly spoiled cheese. The education and graciousness of the host, would be a great reason to go. The scenery along the way is breathtaking.

We were on this same cruise which was also "free" for us. We also had a sewage smell on the Upper deck aft elevator area. We had an aft cabin and had no smell...but to and from we had to walk through a significant smell in the hallways. We too did not get a bill, which I thought was odd. One thing I have learned from my half-dozen cruises to Mexico...don't eat anything...I learned my lesson years ago!

What cabin number did you have I have reasons for asking.

I am sorry you got so sick and trust me I know what it is like because I can't have gluten, dairy, eggs as well as other things.

Cabin M203 high pitched oscilating noise and strong smell of sewage

Moved to M102

Never had ant egg,dairy issues before. I think it was the processing that was the problem or the water from the lemonade

Cabin M203 high pitched oscilating noise and strong smell of sewage

Doh! We are in that room on the Sensation very soon. Hopefully, the problem was either temporary or specific to the Imagination! :)

- John...

I've been on Imagination 3 times now, including back in December thanks to the same $25 deal you received. On my first Imagination cruise years ago, there was a strong sewage smell in the bathroom. I got lucky and didn't encounter this again on the next two cruises, but there's clearly an issue if people are still experiencing it. I'm so sorry you got sick from your tour! That's so unfortunate. :( I wonder if they'll be sending out the $25 offer again any time soon.

I just do truly worry about food and water in Mexico...so many folks have good experiences though at these all inclusive beach stays..with lunch. But I want to know they have special water filtration for ice and op the Cattle Association from this state just got back from China and all kinds of varied production issues..good and bad there. This whole thing is important for the meat and dairy..and cattle can get sick in that and be in horrible situation for milking and passing on something..gosh no pasteurizing....hmmm not ok especially if in that shape.. My dad had a ranch 20 years in high country here and calved out in Feb very carefully with lots of straw and large enough area to avoid the higher temp, disease possible from that and more mess that you all saw. The cattle can basically have what they call scours in that and be not a lot better than you were feeling.

You have a great sense of humor in spite of it all..glad there were a few good moments and thanks for warning..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

One thing I have learned from my half-dozen cruises to Mexico...don't eat anything...I learned my lesson years ago!

I have been on over 30 cruises to Mexico (all on the West Coast) and never had an issue eating food in Mexico. Just got back from a cruise that went to La Paz. Ate at a place where almost no cruise passengers go to and had no problem.

The only time I did get sick from Mexican food was on the ship.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem after the cheese tour. Skipped the lemonade and only had a beer. Four hours later things got better but missed the formal night. Also had 3 cabins on Riviera and all 3 showers backed up every day. This boat looks ok but is old. I have been flying, driving and cruising to Mexico for 30 years and this was my first incident

Edited by rvmike

Had the same problem after the cheese tour. Skipped the lemonade and only had a beer. Four hours later things got better but missed the formal night. Also had 3 cabins on Riviera and all 3 showers backed up every day. This boat looks ok but is old. I have been flying, driving and cruising to Mexico for 30 years and this was my first incident

I was on this ship back in January, and I didn't have any issues with a sewage smell but my cell phone didn't work while in my cabin, which was on Riviera, towards the back and was an interior. Not a huge deal but a pain on embark/debark/US port of call days. I did wonder how ice is made in Mexico though, knowing the issues with the water there. I guess it is thoroughly filtered before the ice is made but I was still queasy about getting a couple Long Islands while at Papas and Beer LOL. It was fine though. I did have the issues with the shower backing up on the Ecstasy back last year though. It got progressively worse throughout the cruise but once I told the steward about it, it was quickly corrected by maintenance and no problems after that. Thanks for the review. I too got a very good deal and my friend and I went all the way to CA from Philly to experience a cruise out of somewhere not on the east coast for the first time.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

In February 10 of our group went on the (Saturday) cheese tour. None got sick. One couple got sick at home. They ate on the tour with no problem. Then they had some on Wednesday. By Thursday morning they were sick.

using unpasteurized milk is pretty common in Mexico. Cheeses such as "queso fresco" and "cotija" use it. It is also pretty common in parts of Mexico for people to drink the unpasteurized milk from cows and goats.

I don't consume it, but I remember my mother drinking it whenever we would go visit my grandmother in Mexico years ago. Something they are just used to I guess...

We took this same free cruise a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time and didn't notice any odors in or around our cabin M211. There was some sort of machinery noise, but it was more of a constant white noise, so really didn't bother us. We took the cheese cellar tour also. We thought everything about it was fabulous!! We really enjoyed the lunch and cheese tasting without any ill effects. We even purchased cheese to take home and have been eating since we've been back.