Thoughts on Costa Maya, and what to do there

kimlovesfl

You must read them all.. she is the best describing with words and pictures the whole experience... I enjoyed every single one of them!

I agree thanks for your detailed information.

We did as you said and found Blue Kay to be a great snorkeling location with lots of fish, beautiful sandy beach and good food.

By the way we were there last week and Señor Frogs is no longer there I think the place is now called beach escape and there is a guy who greets you when getting off the open air taxi/trolley.

Just ask him where blue Kay is and he will point you in the right direction, some construction going on so the walk behind the building took on a new meaning.

Glad to see you had a good time ISLABONITA. What? Senior Frogs is no longer? That's hard to believe. There's always a Senior Frogs in each port and this one was always packed. I wonder what happened. :confused: Thanks for reporting back on your experience.

I've got to say that on this cruise coming up, we are going to probably stay on the ship. Out of all of our 18+ cruises, we've never done that before, but are seriously considering it this time around.

On our last (and first) stop in Costa Maya, I was pretty excited to see Mahajual. We love little mexican towns and stay on the mainland in the Rivera Maya or Tulum area at least once a year if not more. We like to get into a little town and find a favorite hang out with great views, excellent food and friendly locals. So as you would imagine, we were excited for Mahajual.

What we found instead, was a little town that was more or less closed-up. We walked up and down the Malecon for two hours just trying to find a bar/restaurant that would allow us to sit on the bar stools and have something to eat and drink. Everyone along the Malecon was insistent that we rented, or used the beach loungers in front of the place....for a fee. We were not interested in a beach day. We wanted a local hang out and have some good food/drink type of day.

After two hours of wandering around and not finding anything to eat or drink in a nice social atmosphere (we did purchase some beer/sodas from a vendor) we headed back to the port.

My husband was completely turned off by this day and when I told him we were going there again, he said he's going to use that day for his very first "Stay on the ship and enjoy the amenities" day.

I'm guessing I'll go into port for a little bit just to get out and maybe do a tiny bit of shopping, but other than that, we were were not at all impressed. Maybe the town was just having a bad day, not sure why there were only a couple of places open.