Safety Drill

Cruiselover2121

I am going on the Carnival Freedom this Spring and it is my first time on Carnival. I have been on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian before and a few hours after you got on board they did a safety drill with everyone. They showed you where to go incase of an emergency, etc. Does anyone know if Carnival does this as well? I am going with a couple of first time cruisers who were asking me about this!

I think this is a requirement on all cruise ships. On Carnival it's usually held about 4 - on the back of your cabin door it will say where you are to go. There will be crew members out in the halls to direct you. You don't need to take your life vest.

A tip - don't go the first time they announce it, you'll be on the back row with about 3 or 4 rows of people in front of you! And you can't take drinks with you, so don't order one around 4.

Welcome to Carnival - the only line I've ever cruised on, I leave on my 10th cruise March 2!

Many years ago they required you to wear your jacket and tie it properly. It had been a few years since we cruised, we got on the ship as early as possible and hit the bar! Supposedly many annoucements were made that life jackets were not required at the drill. We missed that announcement! We were the only two idiots wearing them! When I sailed on the Liberty two years ago, they actually took our cabin number down! They also over head paged those cabins that were missing.

Please DO GO when you hear the announcement. Don't wait. The longer that is takes for everyone to get there the longer we all have to stand there.

Please be considerate of your fellow passengers.

Leave your drink behind and be quiet and pay attention.

Let the crew do what they have to do so we can all begin our vacation.

On some Carnival ships, you will muster at the life boat stations. On others, you will muster in public areas like lounges, theater, etc. Just depends on the ship.

Some have said that after the drill in lounges, theater, etc. they were led out to the life boats. On our Dream cruise, we met in the theater, then after it was over, we were released. Never did go to the life boats.

Please DO GO when you hear the announcement. Don't wait. The longer that is takes for everyone to get there the longer we all have to stand there.

Please be considerate of your fellow passengers.

Leave your drink behind and be quiet and pay attention.

Let the crew do what they have to do so we can all begin our vacation.

For each late arriver, there are hundreds of us standing there faithfully waiting for you. And that is just rude of stragglers.

A tip - don't go the first time they announce it, you'll be on the back row with about 3 or 4 rows of people in front of you!

A tip - go the first time it is announced. Everyone should. That way, it only takes 15-20 minutes compared to the "suggestion" above and it takes 45 minutes because some people think they are better than others and show up 25 minutes after the announcement just because they themselves did not want to wait.

Carnival won't wait to start the muster drill. Once you evacuate your cabin the steward places a card in the key slot. They do not check roll at the muster stations. You will see people arrive several minutes late, let your host deal with them.

The length of the drill has no connection as to when people arrive, the announcements originate from the bridge, usually the cruise director and then the captain will address the passengers.

I'm not a fan of those that linger to arrive at the muster station, but know only a handheld counter is used at the stations. It's woefully inaccurate. There is no real system in place to verify if you went to the correct station either.

Only once in our cruising history did Royal Caribbean check our cabins off a list, and that was on the Majesty back in 2000.

We don't miss wearing those life vests and being crammed in the piano bar or a ship lounge!

Edited by BallFour4