NCL Dining

twokids0204

Does NCL not have set dining times? Or is it all Freestyle? If so, how does that work?

You may make reservations for the specialty and the main dining rooms. Should you be traveling with a large group some posters have advised to making reservations. We have traveled with 2-4 and never have an issue of a long wait time. On evenings when we wanted to eat in the main dining room at a certain time we made reservations.

For the MDR restaurant, we just showed up when we wanted, just like your local restaurant, and got our table. No wait time, no fuss. I did not know your could reserve a time in the MDR.

Edited by FireEater

For the MDR restaurant, we just showed up when we wanted, just like your local restaurant, and got our table. No wait time, no fuss. I did not know your could reserve a time in the MDR.

Yep...you can do one of these; reserve on line pre-cruise, call anytime once you are onboard the ship, or if staying in a suite your conceigne will reserve for you.

Enjoy! aka Retired Navy Wife :D

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

They began taking reservations for the MDR sometime last year. If you don't plan to go at peak times there usually isn't much of a wait if at all though.

Does NCL not have set dining times? Or is it all Freestyle? If so, how does that work?

It's all Freestyle.

If you want to eat at a specific time and you want to make sure your table is ready then, or if your group is more than 6 people, you can choose to make a reservation. At whatever time you want.

I think of it as just like eating on land. You decide what restaurant you want to go to and when. The restaurant either has a table or it doesn't. If you want to be sure of getting a table when you want it, make a reservation. If you are OK with either waiting or going somewhere else, you don't.

Just got off getaway a last month. All of the above posts are correct.

Our only complaint re the dining was that, on other cruise lines, as a party of 2, you have the option of joining in with others, to form a table of 6, 8, or 10. Not really an option on NCL.

Our only complaint re the dining was that, on other cruise lines, as a party of 2, you have the option of joining in with others, to form a table of 6, 8, or 10. Not really an option on NCL.

We have joined others on NCL many times. Just tell the hostess and they will ask others in line if the want to share.

You can always ask to be seated with others. If there are any that are agreeable, it will be taken care of. Usually there are few if any takers.

You might check in the Guest Services area for a sign up list for those who wish to dine with others. I believe it was a daily list, so you would need to sign up for each day you wanted that option and you would be restricted to just one time and MDR. I was surprised to see this on the Epic, I believe it was. Don't know if this option is listed in the Freestyle Daily, or if it is still offered on any or all ships.

Your best bet is to just meet others on board and invite them to dinner. Or, join your Roll Call here and organize some dinners with others who are like minded.

It's all Freestyle.

If you want to eat at a specific time and you want to make sure your table is ready then, or if your group is more than 6 people, you can choose to make a reservation. At whatever time you want.

I think of it as just like eating on land. You decide what restaurant you want to go to and when. The restaurant either has a table or it doesn't. If you want to be sure of getting a table when you want it, make a reservation. If you are OK with either waiting or going somewhere else, you don't.

You can make reservations for less than 6 now. We did several times in November on the Pearl for 2.

Just did a TA in the fall on the Star. My wife is more out going than I and enjoys eating with others. Almost every time we went to a MDR for breakfast, we were asked if we were willing to dine with others. About half the time we said yes and sometimes it was the first of many connections during the cruise and with others, once was enough. Never pressured but always an option.

In the evenings we connected with three other couples at the CC M&G and ate together each night. We thought that we would need to make reservations but found that they always had larger tables to fill. Even with a line, if we said we had eight, we were seated immediately. Freestyle is not just timing but whether you want to be alone or with others.

The times we have had to wait more than 5 minutes they have provided us with a glass of champaign or in one case a 20% discount on a drink at the nearest bar. It has never been a problem. WHen freestyle first started there were challenges, but those days are long past.

Really? we haved asked to join with others and had no problems. In fact our biggest complaint or one of them on Princess was they always sat us at tables for 6 or 8, even if we wanted to sit by ourselves.

No set dining times. You go to eat when and where you want just like a land based vacation. You have the option to make reservations at the specialty restaurants just like a place on land.

Thanks for the good info here. Do I understand correctly from this thread that reservations for a party of two for the MDRs are completely unnecessary? Our last cruise on NCL was before that option was available, so we wondered how that had changed the dynamic. We enjoy freestyle and have never had a problem, but sometimes had a reasonable wait at the busiest times. We were almost always asked if we were willing to share a larger table, and were then seated quickly....seems now we have to ask?

We have always shared tables on NCL. If the host doesn't ask if we want a sharing table then we simply tell the host we'd like a sharing table. No problem. We're usually then seated with from 1-3 couples who also wanted a sharing table.

No set dining times. You go to eat when and where you want just like a land based vacation. You have the option to make reservations at the specialty restaurants just like a place on land.

Hi, we made on line reservations for 7:30 dining every night with no problem. If we got down a few minutes earlier, we told them we made reservation on line, but if they had something 15 minutes, it would be great. Sent us right down the stairs and got seated within 2 minutes. Asked if we wanted to join other couples, but we said we'd prefer the table for 2. No issues.

The only reason we made the resesies was we hoped not to wait on line with a beeper. Never did!

Have a great cruise and enjoy:)

Thanks for the good info here. Do I understand correctly from this thread that reservations for a party of two for the MDRs are completely unnecessary? Our last cruise on NCL was before that option was available, so we wondered how that had changed the dynamic. We enjoy freestyle and have never had a problem, but sometimes had a reasonable wait at the busiest times. We were almost always asked if we were willing to share a larger table, and were then seated quickly....seems now we have to ask?

Nope you still do not have to ask :)