Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

We file off the Island Girl in St. John and now have to walk a few yards to where "taxis" were waiting. Our instructions on board were to "go find the yellow buses" while others with red wristbands had to find the "red buses" as they were going for a beach day on Trunk Beach. I didn't see buses or anything with yellow-just a collection of taxis. Not the kind of taxis we normally think of with a bearded guy from Turkmenistan on his cell phone at the wheel but rather "island taxis" and here is a picture of ours taken during a shady rest stop at Cinnamon Bay later in the day.

We walked past a few taxis,still scanning for " buses" with some yellow marking until one big guy stepped out in front and told us to get into his taxi for the Island Tour.

This is our driver Chris and he was a witty, good natured and informative guide so we struck lucky, I feel.

16242141889_fca8ed72a9_c.jpg

The tour would basically be driving over hill and dale on steep twisty smooth-surfaced roads, from one scenic overlook to the next, dipping in and out of cool forested areas.

At the first scenic stop Chris got out and addressed us, giving us a script to repeat- "When I pull up at one of these scenic spots I want to hear three things-1 "Ooohh" (we repeated) then 2 "Aaahhh" then 3 "Nice....". Rehearsals went well.

While he was driving he would also speak over the PA which in true island fashion was a tad distorted. He didn't babble.

16402388056_d7fa452ac8_c.jpg

16242122569_b7a642372c_c.jpg

16240713598_8f45098179_c.jpg

Norris,

My wife and I have been enjoying this review a lot. We will be boarding The Ruby Princess for Alaska on 2 August. We have never been aboard The Ruby, so seeing your pictures and videos is getting us excited for our trip. Just a few months left, then I will park my school bus for the summer and off we go!

Thank-you for taking the time and effort to make this so entertaining and informative.

Hal.

Norris,

My wife and I have been enjoying this review a lot. We will be boarding The Ruby Princess for Alaska on 2 August. We have never been aboard The Ruby, so seeing your pictures and videos is getting us excited for our trip. Just a few months left, then I will park my school bus for the summer and off we go!

Thank-you for taking the time and effort to make this so entertaining and informative.

Hal.

Hal, the time and effort pays off with the responses, particularly from those who haven't sailed the Ruby, so I thank you for your kind response.

You'll see much of the Ruby as we wind our way through this review.

I think you'll like what you see.

Norris

Call me weird but I rank being driven around the hilly roads of St John on a lovely sunny day, stopping to gaze down upon Travel-Brochure-Beaches, more enjoyable than looking out at the cold grey snowy streets of Chicago in the winter.

It's not as interesting as say, poking around the ruins of Pompeii, but it qualifies as a couple of feel-good hours away from ringing phones and the daily horror that newspapers bring to our doorsteps each day.

That sun feels good! That nice soft breeze helps too.

There are about 20 people in the taxi. 5 rows of seats with about 4 in each.

In the back row we find ourselves with a nice couple from Nova Scotia who are sailing on the Regal Princess following a week on Oasis of the Seas. They are happy. They missed Princess Cays due to high winds so have two port stops. They will go to St Maarten tomorrow.

15808323963_feaa060104_c.jpg[/url]

Here is Trunk Bay beach where the other excursion was stationed.

16427426862_94272cc6fa_c.jpg

Imagine yourself here....while you are shoveling your driveway on the East coast of the USA

15808326493_5d802fe189_c.jpg

16240717628_77dcc08e77_c.jpg

15808328603_8be8f4abe4_c.jpg

I first became aware of the beauty of St. John maybe 3 years ago when a friend who is a very busy businesswoman asked me if I could help her find a vacation rental for her on the island as she thinks of me as a traveler.

With Google you can find anything so it was easy to pull up some sites to find matches for her. I saw a lot of very appealing photos and the name Caneel Bay stuck out in my mind. SJ looked like a very relaxing place to spend some time.

75% of the island is a National Park, much of it donated by it's former owner Laurance Rockefeller, so commerce is limited in how far it can spread. She ended up changing her mind and renting a house in the Berkshires.

There is a fantastic resort-another legacy of Mr Rockefeller-the Caneel Bay resort.

(caneelbay.com) Pricey but you only live once!

We did get to stop for a 20 minute bathroom break (20 "island minutes") at Cinnamon Bay resort. A tantalizing path led down to a white sandy beach with turquoise water shimmering in the sun but we spent our time visiting the bathrooms and in my case buying a local beer from the little convenience store on site, which is handy for the guests staying in the rental cottages which if I recall cost $119 a night. Many guests and visitors were enjoying lunch in a restaurant with a large domed canopy to keep out the rain, should it ever fall. It must rain as the forests are pretty thick and lush. It stayed dry for us which we were thankful for. Sitting in the shade sipping beer and talking to some nice Canadians was very relaxing but eventually Chris had to stir us after half an hour, to keep to a schedule.

Back in the taxi

16426608741_d946a4b629_c.jpg[/url]

15808331343_68df74d57a_c.jpg

16428372455_cf3b34395c_c.jpg

Next stop a former slave plantation...

What a wonderful review. It is one of the best I have read, very thorough and entertaining. It brought back memories of my cruise to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Caribbean Princess in 2005. We also had rough water one day, with waves splashing in the pools. It also refreshed my memory of the Ruby, from our Mediterranean cruise in 2013. I'll have my sister read your reviews so she can preview the ship before our Alaska cruise in May. Thank you again for your wonderful posting.

Karolyn

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Karolyn, thanks for the kind words.

I am glad to see you reading along and I appreciate you letting me know.

There was at least one night of water sloshing out of the center pools on this trip but no one was staggering around the hallways, so nothing major.

I see the Ruby will be sailing out of Seattle this summer....such a shame Princess took the Diamond/Sapphire away from Alaskan runs. Their Conservatory Pools will be missed in cold weather.

We've done two Alaskan cruises so far-a cold wet one and a warm dry one, both in August. We loved both.

Someday an Alaskan Cruisetour!

Welcome aboard!

Norris

Norris, still following along and enjoying your beautiful pictures and great commentary. Your St. John pictures brought back wonderful memories of our day there in November when we cruised on the Regal. We did the Trunk Bay excursion and it was wonderful--turquoise water and great snorkeling from that white sandy beach. Paradise indeed!

We've done two cruise tours to Alaska with Princess, and you definitely should plan to revisit Alaska to see Denali and the interior. The scenery is truly spectacular, not to mention the wildlife. Given your photography skills, it would be a match made in heaven!

Susan

Norris, still following along and enjoying your beautiful pictures and great commentary. Your St. John pictures brought back wonderful memories of our day there in November when we cruised on the Regal. We did the Trunk Bay excursion and it was wonderful--turquoise water and great snorkeling from that white sandy beach. Paradise indeed!

We've done two cruise tours to Alaska with Princess, and you definitely should plan to revisit Alaska to see Denali and the interior. The scenery is truly spectacular, not to mention the wildlife. Given your photography skills, it would be a match made in heaven!

Susan

Susan I wish there had been time to get down to sea level at Trunk Bay and dip a toe in. I know I can speak for Carol in saying that if we ever were to take an island getaway to relax on a beach, St John would be the destination. It was quiet and we love mountainous scenery vs flat islands like Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Caneel Bay resort looks like a great one-time splurge.

Alaskan Cruisetours just have to wait until we can give more days to our vacations as whatever length the actual tour is we end up adding a day's cushion on either side. It will happen someday that I know.

Thanks for following along on this leisurely ramble and for the compliments on the photos!

Norris

We stopped to visit a former sugar plantation which was worked by slaves.

16428373165_928956561f_c.jpg[/url]

It is set on a hill overlooking the sea

16428373725_5f0ce14381_c.jpg

Paths are steep and would not be suitable for anyone in a wheelchair- and the kind of taxi we were in could not accommodate one either

15808335173_d516622efd_c.jpg

16240973020_e6fe41b3ca_c.jpg

16428377265_e32ecf571b_c.jpg

Norris been reading along here and thinking maybe you should write a book. Very good review and enjoying it very much. We are sailing the Ruby to Hawaii in about 40 days. I'm so excited I can hardly stand to wait. Been to every state but that one. Have you been there? Keep up the good work.

Do you have a polarizer filter on the camera?

Dalene

Norris: We split our honeymoon between Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay (on Virgin Gorda). Both places are well worth a splurge.

Jimmy- I am trying to stay OFF the Caneel Bay Resort website! I love the look of the outdoor dining there and I admire any hotel without phones and TVs and where the outdoor lighting is designed to not impede your view of the stars.

Now I have to surf on over to Little Dix Bay for a look-see!

Thanks for the Validation!

Norris

Jimmy- I am trying to stay OFF the Caneel Bay Resort website! I love the look of the outdoor dining there and I admire any hotel without phones and TVs and where the outdoor lighting is designed to not impede your view of the stars.

Now I have to surf on over to Little Dix Bay for a look-see!

Thanks for the Validation!

Norris

WARNING: Little Dix Bay is even nicer!

WARNING: Little Dix Bay is even nicer!

AAARRRGGGHH!

Don't do this to me Jimmy!!

Too many temptations already...(but I will be doing a cyber visit ASAP)

Norris

Norris been reading along here and thinking maybe you should write a book. Very good review and enjoying it very much. We are sailing the Ruby to Hawaii in about 40 days. I'm so excited I can hardly stand to wait. Been to every state but that one. Have you been there? Keep up the good work.

Do you have a polarizer filter on the camera?

Dalene

Dalene, thanks for popping your head above the parapet and welcome to the thread! I appreciate your kind compliments on this "thing".

I have not been to Hawaii (yet) but have yet to hear anyone calling it a "dump" so it's on the list via a cruise but the length of the journey precludes it happening anytime soon.

I have a polarizing filter which I carry around in my bag but on this trip was mostly using a UV filter. I have a third one (FLD) which I don't think I have ever used.

Keep reading!

Norris

16240728448_76947096f5_c.jpg[/url]

It was soon time to walk back down the hill and rejoin the taxi/bus

16426617531_f26fc1a6a0_c.jpg

A rather stony beach where the bus was parked

16240975670_84be505811_c.jpg

Caneel Bay Resort down below

15808341203_2f116de4f6_c.jpg

Something we'd all love on our property- a giant termite nest! We saw many of these in the woods, near the road.

15805872694_f8d1e3f37d_c.jpg

Karolyn, thanks for the kind words.

I am glad to see you reading along and I appreciate you letting me know.

There was at least one night of water sloshing out of the center pools on this trip but no one was staggering around the hallways, so nothing major.

I see the Ruby will be sailing out of Seattle this summer....such a shame Princess took the Diamond/Sapphire away from Alaskan runs. Their Conservatory Pools will be missed in cold weather.

We've done two Alaskan cruises so far-a cold wet one and a warm dry one, both in August. We loved both.

Someday an Alaskan Cruisetour!

Welcome aboard!

Norris

We are going to be on the Ruby to Alaska in August. Can't wait.

Have cruised to Alaska 3 times before. Twice in Sept and the last time in May. Out of the 3 cruises only had 1 rainy day (Skagway) and two days of rough seas (between San Francisco and Canada). Many days of wind breakers only needed in town ... however out on deck many days (especially Glacier Bay) we had to really bundle up to stay warm. Loved all the cruises to Alaska. Our favorite destination.

We drove back to the harbor to return to our ships.

Along the waterfront I saw some nice little outdoor cafes and people were eating and drinking-things I really like to do-but there was NO TIME

Next time we are in St Thomas I would like to just take a ferry over and eat at one of these restaurants and take a stroll around. If our boat had got there earlier as it should have done according to the Personalizer we would have had a little free time.

Our taxi was first back and we were able to board the Island Girl and claim the same seats we had enjoyed on the way out. The ride back would be less windy and choppy than before. Stoned surfer dude was still on the PA but with some pauses for breath this time. We did get to see the roof of "Kenney Chesney's house" high on a hill as we were told about it 3 or 4 times on the trip over.

Cross that off the list. It was a nice roof.

16427442312_12c000a90d_c.jpg[/url]

A very neat and orderly port area

16240733718_bcecae79a7_c.jpg

Other tour boats start to fill up

16402409576_23e426910b_c.jpg

We head back out to sea

16402410216_50d0209f9a_c.jpg

"The girl who used to stir Buddy Ebsen's tea while filming the Beverly Hillbillies used to rent out one of these houses in the late 60's...."

16242487637_6bda925dee_c.jpg

St Thomas ahoy! This is the Marriott Resort

16240745028_01b5666409_c.jpg[/url]

So now stoned surfer dude begins a ramble about the $21 margaritas at the Marriott and proceeds to explain his method for smuggling in his own booze to get around the high cost of drinks there. I kid you not.

16242496667_515b574038_c.jpg

16426635831_91db8fa293_c.jpg

16426636441_78514e2320_c.jpg

There's the Getaway and the empty jetty we left a couple of hours ago so once past that red bouy we should head over to the jetty to disembark .

16402424596_17efac0809_c.jpg

When we didn't make the turn to starboard after the red buoy I thought there was an issue. It was 3.20 and all aboard was 3.30 and we were headed for the Regal.

Luckily someone next to the doofus told him as I heard him over the PA say "what time do you have to be back to the Ruby?" A chorus of "3.30!"

"Ok, so we'll drop you guys off first then"

Thank you Genius!

Luckily there was an empty berth on a pier opposite the Celebrity Reflection so all we had to do was disembark and walk 3.5 Football Fields to the Ruby.

Surfer dude stood on the gangway and reminded us as we were leaving that there was a tip jar on the way off. Somehow it escaped my mind.

The only upside of this near calamity was that I got to take a photo of this fine yacht...

16240749738_f3977071fd_c.jpg

The little lady who had struggled to make the boat in the morning was luckily rescued by a golf cart towards the bow of the Reflection. One of her family members had seen her lagging behind and got help dockside, driving out to rescue her. What a relief.

We were on board at 3.30 and Carol raced up to the Sanctuary to catch afternoon tea while I switched from scone-mode to Burger n fries mode at the Trident Grill.

Decent burger, sizzled hot on the grill with some fresh cooked fries. Served myself with the salt and Heinz malt vinegar and a pool of HP sauce for dipping the fries in. Jennifer! I cried, using only a raised eyebrow once up at Tradewinds and here comes my cold Guinness. Great to be back on board!

We would leave at 4 pm and head for Grand Turk. There appears to have been a couple of Twilight Zone hours when I didn't take photographs (gasp!) and may have been drinking Guinness and talking to someone but the sail away is captured on video coming to a theater near you very soon.

As we sailed at the early hour of 4 pm tonight would be Formal Night #2 and we would meet up again with Cindy and her family for dinner in Michaelangelo.

A word about the video process...

Before I had a really good camera (Eos Rebel) I shot more video than stills.

Now the video is playing 2nd fiddle but the camcorder is always with me.

The problem with switching between both is that the video is the one to suffer.

The best way to shoot video when you have no idea what is coming next is continuously. 4 hour excursion= 4 hours of video and edit it down to 10 minutes or so later at home. All you need is a supply of memory cards.

Murphy's Law is in full effect when using a camcorder. Here I am riding along in a bus pointing the cam out the side. An interesting building flashes by followed by some uninteresting bushes. Pause the camera and relax. Around the next bend on the roadside is a tiger wearing a sombrero strumming a banjo....quick! grab the cam hit the record button....and get THE shot.... of a passing bush!

Had the camcorder been running continuously you'd be watching that tiger play "Swanee, how I love ya!" on your computer right now. Instead let's check out some of the bushes on St John....

That yellow tour bus sure looks red to me! :confused: I am glad it took you where you were supposed to go!

St John looks beautiful. I hope to be able to visit some of the beautiful beaches there soon. :cool:

That sounds like fun to me! I have only seen one of those ships listed and it comes later in my review. To me it's always good to see some of these ships up close. I know I am only looking at the outside but that can tell you plenty. I always check for a long promenade deck first and then look up top to the pool decks. Waterparks and rope climbing course structures let me know it's not a ship I want to sail on. I'm looking for multiple pools and an atmosphere of relaxation up there, not activity. At the stern I am looking for cabins/suites with some privacy above and no obstructions to the view- e.g. Freedom class ships have the cabins recessed with big white metal beams in your line of sight.

For interiors I check Beyondships or photo reviews on the boards. Youtube videos are also a great resource.

There's usually 1,000 people viewing the PE webcam on the sail away days so we are not the only ship nerds and I imagine everyone of the 1,000 would like to be on one of those ships waving.

I'm glad you got out there with the camera and had fun!

Norris

Your ship nerd checklist sounds a lot like mine. I always have multiple windows open during my webcam viewing sessions and I flip back and forth between them at somewhat dizzying speeds! For the interiors I use all the sites you mentioned plus cruise ship rooms. Nothing is quire as good as a trip to port to see the ships in person, though! :D

I had hoped to sail the Royal Princess 10 day itinerary this coming April. Unfortunately, the timing did not work with the rest of our schedule. In trying to find a compromise between some islands I haven't visited yet and our scheduling needs, I came up with the Independence of the Seas (Freedom class) cruise we will be sailing at the end of April. As one aft cabin lover to another, I will be able to tell you how bad those big white metal beams actualy are. I am hoping they will just sort of disappear as we look out in between them. The pictures I have found taken from our balcony look like we will be OK. At any rate we will be visiting 3 of 4 ports that are new to us. I am sure we will have a great time. :D

Nancy

Edited by perfect match