Fair amount for Travel Insurance??

Paisley12

Always make sure you buy the travel insurance from a company other than that which you are sailing - in the case of Oceania, buy it independently, not from Oceania directly. Insurance will not cover for bankrupcy of the cruise line, if you purchased the insurance from the cruiseline. If you purchase it independently, like from Travelguard within a certain time from from your initial deposit, you will be convered.

Oceania and Berkeley are separate companies. However, you will not be insured by Berkeley for a bankruptcy of Oceania if you purchase the insurance from Oceania. If you purchase the insurance from Berkeley directly, or through Access America, Travelguard, etc. you will be covered for bankrupcy of Oceania (if you purchase the coverage within a certain time frame-usually within 2 weeks of your trip deposit.) It seems a very minor distinction, but could be very important.

Oceania sells Berkeley Insurance which I assume is a totally different company from Oceania. Or does one own the other?

I called Berkeley today to find out the answer once and for all. It is true you are not covered by their insurance if Oceania goes bankrupt. We'll be buying our insurance elsewhere.

We purchase Berkeley Insurance through AAA and that's for cruises, land tours, and even a hunting trip - I think that's the company my husband bought his ins through. We always buy through AAA so if you are a member, check with them.

We use http://www.insuremytrip.com If you click on quotes and put in your information, they will give you quotes from several companies. You can click on the ones that interest you and then click "compare" It makes buying much easier and costs the same as if you had used the individual companies' websites.

Access America has been a favorite, but they limit tour companies and airlines for bankruptcy coverage. Travelguard has less limitations. Lately, we have used Travelsafe, because they give you $1,000,000 in evacuation coverage, which is double or more than the other companies.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing up my insurance research and decided to go with the insurance offered by Oceania. The main reason being that if we cancel before 91 days out (and right now we're 16 months out) when the final payment is due, we get a full refund from Oceania, including insurance. With any of the companies on insuremytrip.com, we have 10 days to cancel after purchasing the coverage. After that, no refunds. In our case, the cost of the insurance is about $900. That's a lot of $$ to forfeit. Neither DH nor I have any pre-existing conditions and if the airline goes bankrupt, I'm sure Oceania will re-book with another carrier. If Oceania goes out of business, within 90 days of departure I'll let my credit card company duke it out with them.

The other companies, like Travelguard, Access America, etc. will not refund your money if you cancel before the ship's penalties come into play (like cancelling more than 90 days before the Oceania cruise). but they will give you a credit to apply to another trip, good for another year past the date of your planned trip. You can add to the premium, if the new trip is more expensive.

Your credit card company may not cover you for Oceania's bankrutcy if it occurs more that 60 days after your final payment- you usually only have 60 days to reverse payment.

Something to think about.

Archived